Notices

newb and it is my time to get better

Old 09-26-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

newb and it is my time to get better

Afternoon...

Well I am here and ready to use all available options to make myself better. I dont know where to start, but I am starting. I found an aa to attend this evening and I guess I will start there.

I dont know where to go from here but I am going.

I am guessing the largest challenges I will have are my lifestyle. There is always something to do, attend, or partake in. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Another challenge is I think I have let alky define who am- good, bad, and indifferent.

Any advice is greatly appreciated and I am thankful there is a community like this out there.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Glad that you have made this your starting point and have included other references to help you. SR will help guide you in many different ways, but face to face interaction is always a plus as well.

I would say to have plenty of juices and water on hand for the next few days. Stay hydrated and eat as healthy as you can. I do know I craved sugar a lot in the beginning. Geeze I wonder why! I was a wine drinker and we all know the sugar in that.

Taking walks or exercise in some form is helpful.

Finding some good books about alcoholism is also a good start. You can find them at the library or there's a ton of stuff on the net.

Keep us up on your progress. Maybe even check in on this thread daily. Do it 1 day at a time or even hour by hour if you need to.

Again, welcome to SR.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey olddude

Yeah I had to make major lifestyle changes too - it was inevitable - my world revolved around alcohol.

It was hard - but support made it easier - I think you're making a good call coming here and checking out a meeting tonight

Welcome to SR!
D
Old 09-26-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR! Getting sober is the best decision you will probably ever make.

Sounds like you have a great starting point. Lifestyle changes are inevitable, try to not fight them and just learn to embrace the new you. It can be kind of refreshing if you look at it the right way.

Best wishes!
Old 09-26-2011, 02:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I found that when I stopped drinking I discovered that a lot of people didn't drink like I did. Some people barely had one drink all night. It was eye opening. I had a lot of concerns around what I would say when people asked me why I wasn't drinking etc. No one ever made more than a passing comment and certainly didn't push the issue. People who drink normally don't care if you're not drinking.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I changed my attitude it was a lot easier to change my lifestyle.

Welcome to the best recovery site everywhere.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family oldude - you can definitely get sober and have a whole new life. I drank for a lifetime, but when I found this site I found the strength to stop. So many people understood me and gave me the encouragement I needed.

Please keep reading & posting - we are here to help you.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome oldude. So glad you are here. This is a great first step...AA is a great local support system and there are lots of books out there to kill drinking time.

My drinking chose my sobriety date...I lost my job and never drank again...8 months now. But it was after I stopped that I found this site. So glad I did because it just reaffirmed all the thoughts and fears I had and knowing I wasn't alone made things bearable.
I walked my dogs ALOT!! I played on the puter ALOT!! I did alot of soul searching and spiritual discovery that helps to keep my self and my life in check.
Wishing you peace and strength.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad that you're open to making some changes in your lifestyle.

Some kind of daily exercise, long walks worked for me, will really help.

I read a lot of books on spirituality.

I fell into a volunteer position that saved me. Getting outside of yourself and doing something for other people, can save your soul.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!