Notices

inpatient rehab

Old 09-26-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

inpatient rehab

As the title says, I really think I need inpatient rehab. This is very scary to me. I have quit drinking in the past with no physical withdrawal. I know its all in my mind. But I can't seem to shake it away. I am at the point that I think inpatient would be better for me, but I am not sure. What is the best way to pick a facility for my needs? Does insurance cover this type of thing? What can I expect while I am there?
Old 09-26-2011, 10:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Good idea, it worked great for me. After a grueling three weeks waiting for my insurance company to decide whether or not they would cover my expenses they finally declined so I went to the cheapest place in town.

Just call a few places and see how much they cost, if they have availability soon and what services they offer. Some have really nice amenities (so I've heard) but the one that I went to was very basic -- school cafeteria food and bunk beds, sharing a room with 5 other guys. No smoking, outside food, or anything to drink besides water -- except for breakfast when we got one cup of watery coffee.

It was rough but I came out clean and I still am, so I'd say that it worked.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Some insurances cover it and some don't. Check with your insurance first. You might need a referral from a licensed counselor or psychiatrist to get the insurance to cover it. If they don't cover full inpatient rehab they might cover detox facility.

Inpatient was always good to me. We were required to go to meetings. We also had therapy time, art time and exercise time. I wasn't able to stay clean or sober through 3 rehabs though. I always failed on the aftercare plan.

good luck
Old 09-26-2011, 11:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Yeah, it's worth mentioning that all the rehab in the world won't keep you clean if you don't follow it up with a quality aftercare plan.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Ts,

I went to a detox facility first for about 7 days (though I didn't really have any noticeable physical withdraw, it was precautionary.) After detox I went straight into a 28 day program where I had to wait on financial stuff to get pushed through for a week, so I stayed a total of about 35 days.

Our facility was a 12 room unit that had girls on one side and males on the other (no interaction.) On our side each bedroom had 3 single beds. There was a common room with a tv and cable, couches and an eating area with vending machines. In between both units was the kitchen where meals were prepped and cooked. Also there was a smoking area off of the common room. From places I looked at, it was somewhat rare to find a place that didn't allow smoking, dunno if that's a concern for you but I couldn't have stayed at a place that allowed no smoking.

At least in my experience you can expect lots of structure in rehab at least during the week. We had to be up at 6 every morning. Meals were scheduled at the same time every day and bedtime was at 10 o'clock, midnight on the weekends.

Our group had different classes that met everyday talking about a lot of different areas of recovery. Mostly it's teaching you about the disease of addiction and a lot of different things that go along with it. Another aspect of it is encouraging group participation and opening yourself up to others. That's one thing about inpatient, you won't be able to isolate yourself. You are always around others. I'm an introvert so at first I was really uncomfortable with this, but after a while you make bonds with people in there because you are sharing a common experience.

In our program each person had an individual plan, based on your "drug of choice" and large 3 ring binder of material to work through by the end of the 4 weeks. This facility was 12-step based, so usually at night we would attend an outside either, N.A or A.A meeting. It was nice to get out of the facility and to interact with other people.

The counselors and staff were all very friendly and helpful. On the weekends we would decide as a group what activities we wanted to do. Sometimes it was a softball game, or just board game day, and we always had a movie night Saturday.

I'm sure all facilities are different as far as amenities, and counselors etc... But the important thing I learned is to take the time in there and focus on absorbing as much as you can, and keeping an open mind. Also keep in the back of your mind what you are going to do after you get out (the "aftercare" plan.) There were 15 people in with me when I went. One of the counselors looked at us and said that only 1.5 of you is going to make it and put together any amount of clean time. Which I thought was ridiculous. But after seeing people I had gotten to know go back out when we were all out, I believe this to be true.

Use the rehab to find a program of recovery that you truly feel you will be comfortable with and that will work for you. I hope you find one that fits your needs!
Old 09-26-2011, 01:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Something that my chemical dependency counselor told me in rehab was that one month in rehab is kind of like extended detox -- it's really just a chance to get away from real life and focus on staying clean for a period of time so you can clear your head and start to think without the cloud of alcohol. The real work of recovery takes place once you leave.