The show off thread

Old 09-25-2011, 06:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Wink The show off thread

I went to an excellent course at work aimed for women, regarding leadership and conduct at the workplace. It was great and I felt less insane, now that I know every other women feel in similar ways, and its not us but a system that values the male vision and measures women against conducts that go against her nature.

Anyway-

One of the exercises was for each one of us to stand up and show off about something, personal or work related. 90% started with "I believe" "I think" "I might be able.." so those phrases are forbidden! It is about being assertive about what we know is true. We all thought it was a difficult exercise, which shows how much we undervalue ourselves and have a distorted vision of who we are, our many qualities and talents.

There was a similar thread long time ago but I canŽt find it-

Go ahead. Show off. The more you show off, the better Men are allowed to participate, too
Old 09-25-2011, 07:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For the past two months, I have improved my overall health by modifying my diet and taking better care of myself... as a result, I have the bonus of losing 13 pounds! Next step is exercise! Go me!!!
Old 09-25-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Skipper

I recently took an entrance exam, the TEAS-V, for my school of choice. I was in a room of people taking it for the 3rd time. It's a hard test. No doubt.

I PASSED IT THE FIRST TIME!!

Yiiiiippppeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!
Old 09-25-2011, 09:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I fixed my toilet this morning all on my own

I wrote on my refrigerator white board "You are the mentally healthy one in this situation..." Do you know what? I was right.

I found over the last two weeks that I am capable of being present, and that I even enjoyed it.

This is fun!
Old 09-25-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I completed computerized bookkeeping courses - all I need now is a job

Since I rent a small house, I'm responsible for indoor/outdoor chores and the like-I cut my own grass, trimmed the large bushes at the back of the house, won the "mouse war" (I really hate mice) all by myself.

I have lost 12 pounds - cut out the junk food, getting the emotional eating under control - ABF is an now an EXABF, big help on the eating front as my life is a lot less stressful.

Went to a housewarming for my new neighbours-I was the only neighbour that showed up. Took a gift of 2 bottles of wine-had 2 glasses of wine and enjoyed them.

I am starting to enjoy life, by myself, living by myself, but not being alone!
Old 09-25-2011, 10:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In spite of being horrifically fearful of failing, I expanded my business capabilities. The faith my clients have in my work has fueled my resolve to just make it work. As a result of this new opportunity, I think I'm going to be able to pay off ALL credit card debt by the end of the year, well ahead of schedule (I have been paying "stupid tax" as Dave Ramsey would say since 2008 when I cosigned two business loans for my AH which he now has no ability to repay, and I also cosigned a mortgage so my MIL could live next door, which I got stuck for because we never were able to sell her first house and she would not contribute in any way--a move that cost me my whole 401k of 75k and 44k in credit card debt.)

I am always surprised when clients come back to me for more work. I feel like I must have fooled them into thinking I'm capable. Just maybe I AM capable. Thanks for the thread!

PS: To get back to the fear thing--I am trying to do what Eleanor Roosevelt said to do:
"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'
You must do the thing you think you cannot do. "
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 09-25-2011, 10:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'd like to have taken part but I've been too busy answering calls from admirers!
Old 09-25-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I 'graduated'. I am now a licensed vocational nurse (LVN). I got the second highest score on our exit exam in the entire class (half the class did not pass and had to take it again) AND I passed the NCLEX-PN on my first attempt having been out of school a month and didn't open a book to study.

I am a confident, at times head strong woman who will no longer let her needs take a backseat to my RAH anymore. I don't have to. I now have options that I did not have before. I no longer just accept his words as the gospel truth I take them as his opinion, or see them for what they really are...the only thing he has left to try to control and manipulate me into doing what he wants.
Screw that!
I am capable of deciding what I want to do, what I need to do and be completely okay with the result of those choices.

I've come a LONG way, Baby!!!!
Old 09-25-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Wonderful idea and great thread.

I quit smoking almost a year ago, lost 10 pounds and feel good about taking care of myself. I am not in debt and use my one single credit card only to book travel or tickets and pay it off within a week.

I take responsibility for my life today, blame nobody for my past and look forward to a beautiful future.

I am grateful that recovery brought me to this good place in my life.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am going ahead and taking the Florida vacation (by myself) that XABF and I had planned together. I leave this Saturday!
Old 09-25-2011, 01:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
dbh

I'm a good mother. I am proud of my children.

I treated myself to a facial this week. It was lovely and so worth the money.

Slowly learning how to take care of me.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

masuhanley I also booked a hotel for this yearŽs Film Festival at a very charming small town 4 hours from where I live. Last time I went it was with XABF. Precisely because I need to create new memories, I decided to go.

2 guys I like (not that it would become anything serious) would like to go - and a couple of girlfriends that live elsewhere - guess what? I booked a nice hotel for myself today and sent a message to everyone "I will be there for the opening. Let me know if youŽll go". I did not feel responsible for anyone YAY!! I am excited.

Hope you have a good time in your trip, and count your blessings.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great thread!!

I successfully moved across the country a month ago, started graduate school, got a new job out here, made plenty of new friends, and already have lots of great experiences out here! Yay!
Old 09-25-2011, 11:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Wink

I was able to buy a Canon camera and am having a lot of fun discovering its features and doing my photography homeworks!! I am proud of this one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
gabanna.jpg (38.5 KB, 403 views)
Old 09-26-2011, 05:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have paid out the credit card debt of $A5000, which I racked up by being with mum for 4 months, and that was not easy on an age pension.

Now to get rid of the pounds I have put on, but first I need to get my coronary artery unblocked and a stent put in. Life really is a ball, isn't it?
Old 09-27-2011, 04:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I saw XABF from afar, felt some anger, went "hello anger, here you are" then went on with my day. YAY

I also dressed up for my training today and put attention to my class, I was able to finish all the lab exercises succesfully. YAY

I had work and did not want to take my lunch hour, then I realized how I have let work rule my life. I went to lunch with peers, laughed, and the restaurant had all my favorite stuff, even the dessert I enjoy so much. AND I was invited by a peer. I still need to work tonight but that will be after I go to the dentist, boxing and take a nice warm bath.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Fun thread!

I make daily efforts to simply sit and play with (or listen to) my daughter. I have found so much joy in such simple activities.

This summer, I started drinking green smoothies for breakfast and made some changes to my diet (no soda, juice, coffee, processed sugars, etc), and went from 126.5 to 115 lbs.

I finished two classes in my graduate degree with a mark of A+ both times.

I continue to affirm my trust in HP on a daily basis and hand myself over to him/her/it with nothing but joy.

I have been nothing but honest with myself (and others) when it comes to my relationships.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

I am working on three rather time-consuming projects at work in additional to my daily day-to-day activities, and I am doing awesome at all of them, without working any overtime or bringing anything home with me.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I graduated with two associate degrees this year.

I am good at the job I am working and am liked by my peers.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I redid a bathroom from the studs up by myself ( power tools and internet helped ). I am known as the "intuitive one" at work. I have gotten back to reading and enjoy being alone to do so.

Great thread!