Notices

Help me, please! Liver damaged?

Old 09-24-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help me, please! Liver damaged?

In January, I went to the hospitial for what was diagnosed as cluster headaches. Well, I don't get them anymore, but at the time, I had a prescription of pain killers, Fiorcet, which had tylenol in them. Well, I didn't become addicted, but like a fool, abused the medication. I took it for recreational use. I hardly ever took a maximum of 4k mgs of the tylenol. Maybe three or four times, and mostly it was around 2000 a day, but I only did this maybe 3 weeks total! And I stopped once the prescription was done.

Well, months later, I drinked for the first time in my life, binge drinking. I binge drinked twice! Only. A hangover in the morning with throwing up, but it would past after a few hours. Well, the second time I did it, a week ago, the day after recovering from the hangover, I took advil. I did it for a few days after the hangover. It wasn't much. Just 6 tabs a day, one day I think I may have had 8. This was for like 3-4 days. This was for a pain I'm certain 100% surely that is unrelated to anything mentioned above.

Well, now I've got pain on the right side of my chest, but it's mostly gone now, and it feel like it is now radiated on the left side. I believe it to be my liver. I have moles appearing all over my body, but I've read online that this is not related to any liver dysfunction. I have chills, and always feel tired. Don't have much of an appetite, but I can eat. I am OCD, and tend to worry alot, so I could be making a big deal out of this, but the pain is there, I know it... and i'm getting chills... it almost feels like I have a fever. My arms always feel warm and ache. I don't want to go to the hospital, because my insurance has been way over it's limit in the past year with doctor visits and ER visits with the headaches. I'm just so worried. It's been 3 days this has been happening, and as I'm typing this, ironically, I feel much better than I did a few minutes ago. I'm examining my body constantly for signs of liver dysfuction issues. I'm so scared and worried.

My father is an alcoholic, on the deep end. He's 60, and drinks as soon as he wakes up til he goes to bed. He wakes up at 4 AM and starts drinking. I know I don't have a drinking problem. Like I said, I've only binge drinked like that twice. I'm just worried! Can anyone calm me down. What should I do?
Old 09-24-2011, 05:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

We cannot give medical advice here. I would strongly advise that you see your doctor/a doctor for comprehensive tests.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Prayers sent.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi WHU

I'd be surprised if you could damage your liver if everythings as you described here

There's obviously something you're concerned about tho - the only way you can be sure about whether your liver is damaged or not and set your mind at rest is to see a Dr.

D
Old 09-24-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi WHU

I'd be surprised if you could damage your liver if everythings as you described here

There's obviously something you're concerned about tho - the only way you can be sure about whether your liver is damaged or not and set your mind at rest is to see a Dr.

D
Thank you! You have no idea how much anxiety and fear you just released by saying this. I? don't know what's making me feel this way. Could the affects of alcohol linger on a week afterwards?
Old 09-24-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was scared for months after my last binge, WHU.
I know from my own experience anxiety can have some pretty tangible effects.

It really is worth paying the money and getting fully checked out tho - whatever the cause of your distress, peace of mind is priceless.

D
Old 09-24-2011, 06:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
I sure hope you didn't drink with those painkillers with Tylenol (acetaminophen) in them, since it can be toxic for the liver. Lay off any Tylenol-containing products. I would go get checked out, especially if you intend to keep on drinking.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
I sure hope you didn't drink with those painkillers with Tylenol (acetaminophen) in them, since it can be toxic for the liver. Lay off any Tylenol-containing products. I would go get checked out, especially if you intend to keep on drinking.
No, I never drinked with tylenol, or with any medication. EVER! And heck no I don't want to drink anymore. It's not worth it.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

And to correct myself, it isn't chest pain, the pain is on the left and right side of my abdomen, just below my chest.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

The liver is a remarkable organ in that it can repair itself in time. If what you said is true, then chances are you haven't done severe damage yet, but the only way to know for sure it to see a doctor. Also, never take more than the prescribed dosage of Tylenol, or any other medication for that matter. Tylenol is especially hard on the liver.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
The liver is a remarkable organ in that it can repair itself in time. If what you said is true, then chances are you haven't done severe damage yet, but the only way to know for sure it to see a doctor. Also, never take more than the prescribed dosage of Tylenol, or any other medication for that matter. Tylenol is especially hard on the liver.
I know... and thank you so much, i'm trying to figure out where all these brown specks have come from, though? It just randomly appeared here at the same time of the symptoms. But I know that it takes alot for the liver to go into a time of irreversable healing, but I'm just so freakin' OCD! You have made me so much more happier with this response. This is like being saved from falling down a 200 ft high building.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you'll find a way to see a Dr and find you have a clean bill of health

D
Old 09-24-2011, 09:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Please don't diagnose yourself based on internet searches and web forum comments. True story: last year I strained my shoulder. The pain was radiating down my back. So I consulted Dr. Google and was diagnosed with.... advanced lung cancer. That was the last in a long line of horrifying diseases that I found out I had online. Now I see real doctors... and the worst thing I have to worry about is my cholesterol level.

At least consider a simple office visit with your doctor. Even if the entire expense is out-of-pocket, you can probably work out a payment plan. Isn't it worth it for the peace of mind?
Old 09-24-2011, 09:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi WHU, you sound just like myself in that I fear the worst with any aches & pains. As other have said self-diagnosis is usually born of hypochondria. Chances are you have an upset stomach. Wish I could reassure you further but hope everyone else's input has alleviated your worries somewhat.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If it's your Liver a simple blood test should pick up any problem you may have. When I drank I assumed every pain in my stomach was my Liver failing, usually it was just gas or sometimes the result of stress. The only way to but your mind at ease is to see the doctor.

And just out of curiosity, how much is it to see a doctor in America without insurance?
Old 09-25-2011, 04:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

depending on the type of practice, about $150.00 unless you go to a low cost clinic. bloodwork and testing is a separate fee.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow! That's a considerable cost for a check-up.

Anyway, WHU go see one, it's worth it.