Greetings from HurtingDad - it's been awhile.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Greetings from HurtingDad - it's been awhile.

I see from my posting history that I haven't posted since Dec. 2009, a long time ago. I see some familar names and some new ones;unfortunately there's always new ones.

My son, now 24, 17 when he started his drug journey (heroin), still has a long way to go. I talk to him a few times a week, see him 4 - 5 times a year, usually during weekend visits. He is supposedly clean, and maintained on Suboxone. He lives in a terrible area of Manhattan, sleeps on a couch. He keeps trying to find work, but never succeeds. His main source of income is...'soliciting funds from strangers'. (my expression)

It's not good, but I see improvement. He talks about plans - but he's just stuck. As with all addicts his emotional developed stopped when his addiction tooi over - he's still 17. Physically, he's developed Hep C, but is on Interferon. The most noticeable problem is his rotting teeth.

I've learned a lot, I deal with it much better than I used to, but it's still on my mind daily. But I don't try to 'help' like I used to, he knows I am there for him when the time comes. I wish best of luck to all those dealing with this horrible disease, the addicts and their families. Don't deal with this alone, go to Nar-anon, talk on this group. You will get better, even if they don't
Old 09-24-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's good to see you, HD. I'm sorry that your son isn't further along on the path of recovery, and I pray the Interferon will knock out the Hep C virus. I'm glad that you have recovery for yourself. Sending you welcome back hugs and hugs of support!
Old 09-24-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Rotting teeth is a very common symptom of meth use. Google "meth mouth" for the gory details.

In the meantime, welcome back and I'm glad you're doing better.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

methadone also cause tooth decay...don't know but maybe the same is true of suboxone????
Old 09-24-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Welcome back, HD.

It's sad to watch our kids destroy themselves, but we can only say a prayer for them that one day they will choose a better path. Keeping your boy in my prayers.

Hugs
Old 09-24-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome home (((HD))) - really glad you checked in. I, too, am sorry your son isn't further along in recovery, but still pray for you, him, and all who love him. I hope the interferon helps, too.

I do hope you check in more often...I've missed you, but proud that you are doing so much better in this hurtful time.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-25-2011, 07:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Hi Dad,
Welcome back, glad you're checking in. You seem to be coming along good in your recovery, and glad to see your son is on suboxone.

My oldest AS, after years of using Cocaine, (.and I'm sure he used anything that was available) has had all his teeth pulled, and we did help him get dentures from the county hospital.

Hugs to you,
Keeping you, and your son in my prayers.....
Old 09-27-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, nice to hear from all of you. We're walking alongside the journey our addicts are taking us. I have long stretches of 'recovery', interrupted occasionally by 'relapses'. Fortunately I do see some progress in my son's status. I'll keep you posted.
I have to admit that there is some sadness in seeing so many people dealing with this situation. It just seems to be an endless problem.

One day at a time, one addict at a time.

Be Well
Old 09-27-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks HurtingDad for checking in and updating. It is always nice to hear from you - I've never figured out why, but I always get excited to read your posts.

My son too seems to just be stuck . . . he's 31, supposedly 2 years clean also using suboxone. But doesn't seem to "resolve" much in life . . . no job, still has warrants hanging over his head . . . talks about "plans" but talk is about it. I don't think he started using marijuanna until he was 18 or 19 and pills some time after that. He was immature for his age all along, I used to think "he's innocent, naive, enjoying being a kid, etc."

That's about it . . HI!, glad to hear about you and your son.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

JMF,
I've learned that an addict is still at whatever emotional level he was it when the addiction started, and that is a problem. Glad to hear about 2 years clean, but it seems as if they just can't take/make the next stop. I think my son still enjoys some of the 'drama' around being a struggling recovering addict. I wish I knew. Good luck to you and your son.
Would it be OK to send you a PM? Seems that we might have some thoughts/ideas to exchange.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Feel free to PM me anytime.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing the update, HD! I'm sorry to hear that your son is still struggling, but am glad to hear that you are taking care of yourself. My addict step-daughter has been on suboxone for a couple of months. I've seen a lot of the relapse/rehab/legal problems/relationship drama that goes along with it.