Notices

Made it past the 2 week mark

Old 09-23-2011, 11:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made it past the 2 week mark

Is this the correct board to post this in? I'm still having some confusion in figuring out where to post what.

Anyway, last night marked two weeks sober. When I first came here two weeks ago I had some doubt whether I could make it this far. That stupid voice in my head saying "you can drink, just make sure you only have four and stop." I wanna smack that voice!!!!

There have been a few nights that were a struggle but I got through them with the help of friends and my wonderful boyfriend who is very supportive of my life.

I watched the movie 16 Years of Alcohol for a kick in the butt. I think I'll watch Barfly this weekend LOL.

One of my dearest oldest friends is 8 years sober and suggested the Rational Recovery site to me. He said that is what helped him. I need to explore it more.

One day at a time, one day at a time.

Thank you for this place!
Old 09-23-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on getting past two weeks sober. The first few weeks can be rough, no doubt, but it will start smoothing out. Just take good care of yourself, good food and rest and exercise, and you'll be feeling even better in time.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congratulations haligh! I remember the 2-week point very well. It took work to get there, but it was the first time I thought that maybe, just maybe, I could do this.

Glad you have some support in your boyfriend. It takes time for the obsessive thoughts to fade, but they will. Stay positive and keep up the good work!
Old 09-23-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

haligh,
If you are looking for alternatives to 12 step programs, take a look at the 'Secular Connections' forum, way down near the bottom of the list. All types of programs are discussed there, and a popular one is Rational Recovery and Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT). It is popular with me, too.

Congratulations on your new sobriety. Nothing beats it!

Good Luck and Godspeed.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Just take good care of yourself, good food and rest and exercise, and you'll be feeling even better in time.
I recently watched the documentary Food, Inc. - I've always been a pretty healthy eater but that movie really opened my eyes. Many many many years ago I was a vegan for a while - and although I'll admit I felt healthier during that time than I ever have, it's a pretty tough lifestyle to maintain so I doubt I'll ever go back to it. But that movie really opened my eyes to the horrible stuff in the packaged foods at the grocery store. I have since been trying to eat even healthier.

Exercise has always been my nemesis but I did go jogging once this week. And the past 3 nights I have slept better than I have slept in 10 years. I even dreamed/remembered my dreams - that is a huge plus to sobriety.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
haligh,
If you are looking for alternatives to 12 step programs, take a look at the 'Secular Connections' forum, way down near the bottom of the list. All types of programs are discussed there, and a popular one is Rational Recovery and Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT). It is popular with me, too.
Thanks for this tip and your thoughtful wishes. I will check out the other programs to find something that fits well with me.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 2 weeks haligh - thats great!

D
Old 09-23-2011, 03:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yay haligh - you're doing this thing. I know what you mean about the voice telling you 'just a few' would be ok. Kept myself drinking for many years using that logic. There's no such thing as willpower when it comes to drinking.

Two weeks is wonderful - you'll continue to feel even better as you go along. Congratulations
Old 09-23-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

barfly is one of my favorite booze movies.....
A true story by the way....the screen writer ?? said it was his own.

Well done on your 2 weeks....