Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Interesting alcoholic movie: "Everything Must Go" with Will Farrell

Old 09-23-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I was alone the other night and quickly rented this new release movie, thinking "Oh! Will Farrell, he's funny, this should be good for the laugh I need!"

Turns out it's a bit of an indie film and a departure from Farrell's usual comedy. It's a movie about a man who is an alcoholic, who comes home to find that his wife has left him and kicked him out and put all his belonging out on the front lawn. The whole movie is about alcoholism.

I could not believe I'd gone for a comedy and the universe gave me a movie about a drunk! But it's worth watching and I thought I'd pass along the recommendation.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Will Farrell definitely has a serious side. He's very talented. I was similarly surprised by "Stranger Than Fiction." It's not about alcoholism, but it's very good. I'll be checking out this new one.

Thanks,
L
Old 09-23-2011, 10:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Watched this movie last night and you are correct, it's definitely worth watching. The issue of alcoholism in the movie is surely "Hollywood-ized" but a good human story, nonetheless!
Old 09-23-2011, 10:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

FYI- This movie is loosely based on a story by Raymond Carver, one of my favorite writers. Also a recovering alcoholic.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know if you are in Alanon or not, but in AA when something like that, totally pertinent to our recovery, seemingly comes from nowhere and magically falls in our lap, a lot of people call them "god shots" or a message from your higher power.

If you work either the AA or Alanon programs, I guarantee you'll experience a few. That may have been one.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"God shots"!! I LOVE THEM!! And the more I work MY recovery... the more they happen to me. It's not that those things have started to suddenly happen... it's that I have suddenly become AWARE!!!

Thanks for the heads up on the movie - I will definetely check it out!
Old 09-23-2011, 06:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

just finished watching this movie. what a wonderful performance by will ferrell. he can do no wrong in my book.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Skipper

Thanks for the recommendation. Putting it on my netflix queue right now. Movie review from me will come shortly!!
Old 09-24-2011, 10:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I watched it last night...Will Farrell was superb as always...but yeesh the ending!

I won't spoil it for anyone else, but curious if anyone had the same disturbed reaction I had.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree it was very well done for a variety of reasons. I don't always "get" Will Ferrell's humor, but LOVED Stranger Than Fiction.

I was pretty triggered during sections of this, and had to hit pause as a result.

I think the hardest part was I could see the good in his character and could so relate to that.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I watched it tonight. I found it really touching. I also saw the good in his character, and I thought Will Ferrell was perfect in the role. A lot of it resonated with me.

While the movie definitely made me teary at points (I also had to pause some things), I enjoyed it.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Journey To Me

I too was surprised after realizing that the movie was not a comedy in Will Ferrel's normal sense, but it was definitely a good story. I would recommend it.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Watched it and I'd recommend it as well...
Having seen Will Ferrell acting loud and crazy so many times, I was expecting to see an extremely raging\crazy alcoholic, he did good in this movie.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So good to see so many positive reviews for this movie, as I've been waiting for it to become available at my library. I watched Stranger Than Fiction just the other day, trying to fill a Will Ferrell fix, and was also very impressed with his ability to perform in a more dramatic role.