It wouldn't be Christmas without...

Old 12-02-2003, 05:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It wouldn't be Christmas without...

Okay, we all do presents, decorations, dinner and the like. But what are your personal Christmas traditions that you can't do without?
I must watch "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol". I bought it on DVD last year as a gift to myself. This must be done at night, in front of a fire, by the Christmas tree.
I must take a bubble bath, by candle light while listening to Mannheim Steamroller.
I must have a few evenings simmering my Christmas potpourri, which is made of cinnamon sticks, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and orange peel.
I must have fresh holly in my house.
And on Christmas Eve, I must hear a really good version of "Oh Holy Night" (preferably by a male baritone). I also must play Boyz 2 Men's version of "Silent Night" after everyone has gone to bed.
A little gingerbread is nice, someone fabulous under the mistletoe is better, but those are the things that I can't do without.
How about you?
Fa la la la la!
Peace,
Gabe
Old 12-02-2003, 05:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Oh, wow, Gabe. You are really getting me in the spirit.

Getting the tree is a big tradition for me. We get a live Fraser Fir (doesn't lose needles and is pretty), and the best part is when I am decorating. So many of my ornaments have a special meaning to me. Some were given to me by people who have since died, and some were home made by my nieces and nephews when they were little and those are very special.

Also, I have a girlfriend that I grew up with and we have been friends since we were 4 years old but live in different cities. Every Christmas night, after the festivities, I love to make a big cup of hot chocolate complete with marshmallows and call her and talk for about 1/2 hour.

And when my son is home (not every Christmas but many) I love to go to church Christmas Eve and go for a walk if the night is nice and just share the moment with him.

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas Gabe.

Hugs
Ann
Old 12-02-2003, 06:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
sdp

Decorating the tree with my kids.
Listening to "Grandma got run ovr by a reindeer"
Giving the girls Xmas nightgowns on Xmas Eve

Hey Gabe- did you see that CD "Now That's what I Call Christmas"??
It is excellent!! I think it has Boyz to men, but it also has "Do they know it's christmastime " by Band Aid.. I love that song (the CD has "Grandma..., too)
Old 12-02-2003, 06:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sdp

Oh, I forgot-- Toll House cookies. When I was a kid we only made tthem around this time, and i so looked forward to it!!! They taste like Christmas to me. (even the year my mom added all the ingredients together, even the chips, and made me stir it by hand!!!)
Old 12-03-2003, 03:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Every year I have to watch "White Christmas" with Bing and Danny, "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas" and "Rudolph"
Old 12-03-2003, 05:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Chevy Chase's "Christmas Vacation" running back to back all Christmas Day.

A lovely meal prepared by Ward.

A bath with pine scented candles and Christmas Carols.

Christmas Eve with the family.

Running out at midnight for stocking candy.

The Beav with all variety of ways to screw it up. This year we are formulating Plan B in advance.

Hugs,
JT
Old 12-03-2003, 06:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When my greatgrandmother was alive we decorated every square inch of her house and anything that walked. We made bazillions of cookies. WE iced hordes of cutout cookies.

My Mom the grinch wouldnt have even put up a tree unless I bugged her. WE were very poor and she thought it was a waste of money.

I have always loved Christmas decorating. When I was a kid I always decorated. One year I made a tree out of the neigbors discarded branches.

After Elvis and I were married I had free rein. He didnt give a sh*t what I did as long as it didnt involve him. LOL. And he never saw a cookie he didnt like.

For a while now Christmas has lost part of its charm for me. Elvis went to jail the day after Christmas and my 50th birthday was Dec 31st the same year. That year I didnt put up a stick. Me and the dog just knda holed up. I think it was harder on him than me. Not only was he going to jail but he did it right before my 5oth. Hes never said but I think he had something planned.

Last year I just couldnt get motivated. I figured whats the use. Spend all that time decorating and an equal amount to take it down and no one will even see it but me and the furkids.

Well this year ladies Im getting my Christmas sh*t out even if I dont get it all up till the end of January. A house in December with out Christmas decorations is a sorry depressing thing. And Im not taking them down till Im good and ready. There are advantages to no one coming to your house. If its still up in July no one will care but me. LOl. Hell I may just leave it up till next year. LOL.

And I think Im gonna make the grinch at least put up a small tree. ;-)
Old 12-03-2003, 02:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Queen of one liners

OH, Good for you gals,

OMG, How healthy can you guys get ....Taking the action so the feelings will follow.....

I love the outdoor lights more than anything.....I do the front yard, rose garden, rashberry patch, wishing well, Hubby does the big tree to the west of the house, the lights on the front roof, and both sides of the driveway.....Takes me forever to get it all done but when we turn them all on at about 3:30 pm I just love it....I know then it's worth it to me...I really don't do much inside but always have a candle in the windows....and a tree in the bay window...One of my favorite Christmas menories from way back when I was a wee toddler, is driving up to my Grandmother's and seeing a red valvet wreath with a lighted candle in it burning just to show us she cared...We always were late getting there and since they lived on a farm they were always asleep BUT the candle was on....There's a country western song about the candle in the window that I love by the Stater Bro...and of course I have to listen to Perry Como...

I have found that since I am in such a happy state of mind I can be friendier to other people whether they are friendly or not...Most of the time they look at me a little strange and then smile back at me...I also try to give extra attention and kind words to the clerks in the stores and at the Post office....

Oh my on this thread I could go on and on..

But the most favorite thing I do is go to the candlelight midnight Christmas Eve service even thro I go alone, I have found that I have come to appreciate that special time with just me and my Higher Power...I always sing Oh Holy Night walking down and back...

Oh, PEACE ON EARTH GOOD WILL TO ALL OF YOU...I 'm off to put up the rest of the lights outside....
Love, Aunt Daffy
Old 12-03-2003, 08:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The Christmas season has its start here the weekend before Thanksgiving. I always did Turkey Day here and didn't have my family here again during the holidays. So all the decorations went up early so my house could "show off." I change my Christmas decor to match my furniture!!!! When I get new furniture all the old stuff goes. I just love the lights and the sparkles. Matter of fact since my hubby has been in residential treatment I have been sleeping on the couch and leaving all the Christmas lights on all night. I never sleep for more than a few hours at a stretch so I love waking up in the middle of the night surrounded by the lights. It actually makes me giggle with glee!!!
The kid in me always finds her way out this time of year.

Hugs to all, Jo
Old 12-04-2003, 04:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Paused

Slades 'Merry Christmas Everybody' Do you get this played over there every year?? It is always plaed in UK every Christmas.

It just wouldn't be Christmas without my family. To be honest, I a not a great lover of Cristmas, for me I think t has lost its true meaning, it's just an excuse for a good booze-up from what I can see.

I will be at meetings over Christmas, and lots of AA parties, and my daughter will be home.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

Christmas is one of the happiest times of year for me.
It starts the day after Thanksgiving when I take my 2 boys to the Nutcracker, then to dinner at a nice restaurant ( no Mickey D's today). picking our tree is also very important, we go to a tree farm where you go and cut your own tree then make our wreath at the same farm. One of my favorite traditions is alittle bit odd balled it started on my oldest sons first holiday and has lasted ever since we bake cookies and order pizza. That first Christmas I was so busy baking and putting toys together I just had no time to cook and we got a pizza. After our traditional Christmas eve pizza I give the kids one present, P.J's so they look cute in the Christmas morning pictures. After the kids are in bed and the presents out I like to sit down with a cup of hot cider and just look at the tree.I love to have the kids wake me Christmas morning, the look on my little ones face is priceless when he sees the cookies and milk gone. He got so excited last year that he was visibly shaking.

Happy Holidays to all
Colleen
Old 12-04-2003, 04:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This is a fun thread

I love reading about everyone's special traditions at Christmas. Jojo, I'm having a fit laughing at you sleeping on the couch surrounded by Christmas lights, only to wake up giggling with glee.
QTpie, the pizza tradition is great. My son and I have a Thanksgiving tradition of eating popcorn during the parades.
Avie, meetings and AA parties are a great way to spend the holidays. Program people are the most fun folks I know.
Daffodil, I love outdoor lights too. There is a great display in a State park near us. We drive through there every year and it is the closest thing to magic I have seen in a long time.
Cecelia, I'm glad you got your grandmother's Christmas spirit and not your Mom's. I decorated my ficus tree with white lights one Christmas and I left them up all year because they were so pretty. I now have white lights on a dried floral arrangement inside my front door.
JT, I'm adding pine scented candles to my annual Christmas bubble bath. Does Ward really cook? I'm totally infatuated with men who cook.
Debbie, I love "White Christmas" too. It's such a holiday classic.
sdp, Toll House cookies are a Christmas tradition here as well. They are Santa's favorite, don't you know.
Ann, your Christmas phone call to your long time friend (complete with the cup of hot cocoa) is so very sweet. I love the fact that you two have been friends since you were four, that is such a rareity these days.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's been a while but I wanted to drop in. I saw this post and had to add my 2 cents.

I love baking cookies (of all shapes, sizes and flavors). My girls are now old enough to help me. We bake for ~5 days, package them in something festive and give them out to our neighbors (well, the ones we still talk to), family and friends. Of course we save the most chocolatey for ourselves!!!

Hope everyone is doing well and that all of you have a wonderful hoiday season!!
Love,
NoDoubt
Old 12-05-2003, 07:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My holiday must haves have changed and grown as I have. Now that I'm a mom, some things I do are just for us that live in my house. I also have must haves that include my entire family.
For the family, I spend EVERY Christmas day with my parents, sisters, and my extended family on my mom's side..it's great fun! I go shopping the day after Thanksgiving every year with my parents and sisters.

For our house: putting up the tree is a family event, putting out cookies and milk for Santa. Watching holiday cartoons with my son, counting down to Christmas, and the look on his face Christmas morning. ALso, he gets to open brand new pjs to wear on Christmas Eve...that was a tradtion my parents did.
I bake up a storm and my son has a blast decorating the sugar cookies!
Christmas is my favorite holiday above all!!!

Great topic!
Sped teach