Coping with Anxiety and Emotions

Old 09-22-2011, 05:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coping with Anxiety and Emotions

Dealing with emotions, especially painful ones is one of the most draining aspects of life it seems. In my journey for my Psych degree, I am currently taking Stress & Management.... of course

We are discussing the anxiety reducing benefits of meditation. There are many different ways to make this a part of life, but it is shown to be VERY calming. The following poem The Guest House, is a reflective meditation poem. I was drawn to it immediately and only just learned of it. To me it speaks to the acceptance of all emotions. To each it may speak to something different. I find it to be very calming, and peaceful. I know that many have much stress and anxiety going on right now, so any slight relief is helpful. I have found these practices to be very soothing. I hope it brings the even slightest feeling of peace.

The Guest House Meditation (based on a poem by the Sufi writer Rumi) is a way to be mindful of the emotions that come and go throughout your day. To complete this meditation, read the following poem, pause, reread it, and quietly reflect on it. Focus your awareness of the emotions as they come into your awareness and then depart.

The Guest House

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have a great sponsor who led me to meditation. The Big Book of AA says through prayer and meditation. And it is useful to just observe emotions- there I go guilting, being sad, judgemental, happy etc....emotions move- that is what emote means. Just play with being the observer. They pass. Meditation quiets the mind. Google Holosync. They will send you one free. And I learned about Deva Primal music....they are awesome.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's sometimes difficult to make myself sit down for 10 minutes and just deep breath, but since we have been doing it in class, and even just breathing deeper throughout the day has made me feel good.

When I first started coming here, I was so wrapped up in learning about alcoholism, ptsd, drug abuse, abusers, why people lie, why alcoholics lie, manipulators, passive aggressive....etc etc, it was my entire google record! And my time was devoted to learning about HIM, HIS behaviors, because it eased my mind about everything that was happening, and continued to happen.
I still read about that stuff and learn, but NOW the difference is I read about HEALING MYSELF, things to do, letting go of toxic relationships, abandonment, these are MY issues and MY behavior.
I have found this shift in focus to reduce the anxiety as well. Because when I read about ME, I know that I have control over the outcome, and as long as that is the case, I will be ok. It helps.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have depression problem as i face most of the time in some what tense without any reason and grind my teeth. in most cases when ever i get anxious my heart beat goes on over fast speed. it seems to be getting my heart out of the cage. You are right this guest meditation works for somewhat.When anxious that is the most critical to control oneself.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Kittyboo,

Thanks for that beautiful poem, it does indeed speak to my issues.

I want to suggest that you check out "the book of Rumi" it is a collection of his poems.

I am not typically a poetry person but for some reason I can sit and read and really enjoy Rumi's poetry.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lovely poem Kittyboo, full of insight-thank you!
Old 09-25-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Goingoncrazy -- I understand where you are coming from. I dont have severe depression, but I have realized how my life experiences have effected me and over time I have become more depressed. Lost my desire to be really social, felt sad A LOT, wanting to isolate. I never really understood anxiety either, I never felt I had it, but I have gotten it in the past couple of years.

Heart racing is normal when feeling anxiety. I was amazed at how just deep breathing reduces anxiety. Literally, if you sit still, feet flat on the floor, close your eyes, take slow DEEP breaths filling your diaphram, in through your nose then exhale through your mouth, it is INCREDIBLY calming. Focus solely on your breath. I have a problem with negative thoughts running through my head, so to focus on something else keeps me centered while doing it. You could do it once or as many times a day as you need, 5 or 10 minutes. It helps.

Also, have you considered anti depressants. I NEVER thought I was a candidate for them. I never really wanted to take any. I feared a dependence on them, and I just thought that my feelings were something I could fix if I just worked hard enough. I recently felt that maybe I needed a little extra help there. And i'm so glad I did. I went to a psych nurse and she prescribed Zoloft and i'm also taking Adderall...which for me I feel is life changing.

I've only been taking Zoloft for about 2 weeks. But for me, that and the Adderall, I feel calmer, I feel like reaching out to people, I feel more positive, I can focus on my studies and really focus on them, and the biggest difference I feel is acceptance. I literally feel more accepting of circumstances. It's kind of crazy to me that something like this can assist in changing my outlook. I have also not had any negative side effects. I have been fortunate. I'm on a fairly low dosage too I think.
Sometimes people have to find the right one for them, or the right combination, but this is how it has worked for me so far.
Just a thought?

Willy - I will check out that book, thank you!

Painterman- You're welcome! I love this poem.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love Rumi's poem and have it multiple places in my house.

I am starting my meditation course this week and I cannot wait.

Thanks for both.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

when I was really freaking out my dr put me on a antianxiety med. Of course since I'm allergic to EVERYTHING...I had a reaction so I just decided that I could handle all this. I called and let her know I wasn't taking them and wanted to try a non medical intervention and she agreed that would be better for me.

I listen to christian radio. I read my Alnon book. And I prayed a LOT.

Those things got me through some stressful situations.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Skipper

Thank you so much!! I think with my history as an ACOA has deeply ingrained the anxiety levels for me, and every single tool I can find to overcome it helps me! My cardiologist is convinced my blood pressure issues are all anxiety-borne and not anything else. I'm otherwise healthy weight and lifestyle, so that's the only issue that comes up.

I like medicine-free ways of taking care of myself when possible.

Thank you!!
Old 09-25-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wonderful thread, thanx everybody.

I am dealing with two serious and terminal diseases, my work transfered me over to the other end of the country thanx to the lovely economy, and my g/f of 5 years left me on Valentine's day. So I have plenty of stress going around.

My objective in recovery is to build up a bit of that "serenity", "courage" and "wisdom" mentioned in the serenity prayer. I have no problem with courage, I'll jump in and try to change anything, anytime. Which is how I ended up in Al-Anon. Serenity is something I lack, it simply wasn't included in the package when I arrived in the world.

Once in a while I will experience a soft acceptance of things. Entirely without my intervention. It just happens, without my trying or forcing it. A bit of "accidental" serenity, if you will.

What my sponsor taught me is that meditation is "serenity on purpose". When I meditate properly I am placing myself in a state of serenity as an action of my will. I decide I am going to be serene and with a bit of practice I achieve that.

Out there in the real world, dealing with doctors, insurance companies, never-ending blood work, changes in medications, the work place, I have been able to use those techniques I learned in meditation and apply them to all the "stuff" I am dealing with. It doesn't work all the time, but when it does I am able to take a deep breath, objectively look at whatever problem I'm dealing with and _not_ get spun up and fired up over it.

The more I practice meditation, the easier it is to get in that "serene" frame of mind when I need it, and not have to wait for it to happen by accident.

It's not easy for me. My natural state is like a poodle that overdosed on espresso. Little by little I'm making progress. Yesterday I didn't do so good. Today i've done better.

One thing that helps me is a set of CD's i found on sale that are of nature sounds. Rain, ocean waves, a forest filled with crickets. I listen to them when I meditate and then try and remember the sounds when dealing with life's lovely "stuff"

Mike