Notices

Day 104 - changing

Old 09-22-2011, 08:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 104 - changing

In order for us to stay sober, we have to make changes. I know we can't expect people to change around us, that would be unfair, especially if they don't even know we're in recovery (my family don't know) the only people that know are my husband and my best friend. My family are terrible gossips

My relationship with my family is somewhat dysfunctional and because I'm putting myself first at the moment, they really don't like it. I am a 43 year old woman who has been summoned to my mothers tonight to talk about my 'behaviour' - I will find out exactly what I've done that's so awful when I get there but a clue on the phone was that I have cut her out of my life. I still see her twice a week, but I don't spend as much time there because of meetings and aftercare etc

I will say the serenity prayer (as suggested by my sponsor) before I go round there but I just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar during early recovery?
Old 09-22-2011, 08:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, absolutely I went through the same thing. But, I knew for sure that I had to change. Saying 'No' was very hard for me, but when I looked back, I knew that it was essential. Putting the focus on myself felt strange, but I knew it was the right thing.

When you know in your heart that you're doing what you need to do, then I know that you will feel peace with yourself. Clearly you are not cutting your mother out of your life, and if she is not satisfied with what you're doing, then you need to let that go, because it's her problem, not yours.