Notices

Want to try my best to recover

Old 09-20-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Want to try my best to recover

So I started out like every other college student, enjoying a party on the weekends with my friends. Once I turned 21 a year ago (even slightly before then, really) I started really getting into wine, to the point where I was drinking glass upon glass a day. Right around this time I began to notice a change in my behavior, such as emotional instability, anxiety, and some social anxiety where I'd never had it before; I didn't realize there was any correlation and kept on going. I've constantly been trying to tell myself I'll only have one drink when I get home, or won't drink at all. Then before you know it, I've had 4 or 5. I've finally "woken up" in a sense, to the fact that I have a real problem and really need to try and fight it, especially now that I've realized it's causing all these other problems I've had lately.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Callee! How I wish I'd known in my 20's what you know. Instead, I went on for many more years trying to control my drinking, with horrific results. That never has to happen to you. Congratulations on your excellent decision.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Callee!

Good for you for deciding to stop drinking.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you realizing that you may/do have a problem now. I so wish that I had stopped so very many years ago.... Believe me, using alcohol can be a slippery slope - it was for me. Here I am now - I've been drinking for about 26 years.... stopped when I was pregnant and then started up again (sometimes heavy and sometimes moderating).

In the last few months it has gotten really bad - blackouts etc.... I never drink until late in the day/evening but I feel bad for half the day or more sometimes. This is no way to go through life.

Please consider your situation. Maybe take a break from drinking for a while to see how you do. You're SO SMART to be concerned now! There is so much support! I'm sure you'll hear from others with much more experience than I (I'm at the beginning of my sober journey).

Best of luck to you!
Old 09-20-2011, 06:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

good for you callee.
i realized that in the game of alcoholism ..the only winning move is not to play at all..
just like the movie jumungi
Old 09-20-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks y'all...definitely appreciate the support I will say I am not necessarily trying to COMPLETELY quit, as I am a college student and enjoy partying with friends on the weekends. I want to just learn how to keep it on the weekends and not pick up several drinks a day during the week as well.

It was definitely a huge reality check for me when I realized the alcohol abuse and the other issues I've been struggling with were correlated, so I really want to be able to take the bull by the horns and correct myself.

Especially considering I'm a senior in college, and I know EXACTLY what I want to do and where I want to go in life. So far I've managed to do well even with the alcohol problem, but I'm afraid if I keep it up that'll go out the window, and I'm at the home stretch!!
Old 09-20-2011, 09:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Callee - welcome!

Moderation can be a slippery slope for many of us with problems with alcohol. I wouldn't completely bet on being able to moderate your consumption, so my advice is that you be open to abstaining. I know for me, it was a cycle of trying to drink less, then giving in, then being mad at myself, then trying again, and failing again, then being mad, then just giving in and drinking when I wanted to at the times I wanted to.

Also remember that alcoholism isn't necessarily about the frequency at which you drink - many binge drinkers are alcoholics, even if they only drink on the weekends. I too, used to only drink when going out on Friday or Saturday. Then that turned into drinking by myself before going out with friends, and the progression just got more serious to when I was drinking in the morning before work and at night after work, because really, how different is Saturday from Tuesday. All days are 24 hours! It's just more socially acceptable to drink on Saturday night. But who cares about social acceptance when I'm in my bedroom by myself feeling "happy?"

Be careful! And enjoy college!! I've been out a few years and I SO wish I could go back!
Old 09-20-2011, 09:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi, Callee. Welcome to SR.

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll find many (any?) moderation success stories around here. I'm sure there are people who decide they're drinking too much, vow to drink responsibly, and succeed. But if they can do that, they don't really need SR. Most of us crossed into addiction, where it tends to be an "all or nothing" proposition. I know it is for me.

I hope you succeed in moderating, but if you don't, I hope you do something sooner rather than later. It sounds like you have a great life planned out—don't let alcohol take it away from you.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Callee

I really hope you can somehow learn to 'keep it to weekends' and under control.
I tried - and never could.

The trouble I found was once I drank, all my best intentions vanished....how can you keep control when drinking makes you go out of control?

I wish you the best though

D