Notices

another myth busted...

Old 09-19-2011, 05:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

another myth busted...

Think Twice in Taking More Red Wine

Wine has no health benefits according to a new study

The Alcohol Policy Coalition has challenged the belief that drinking red wine will help prevent heart attacks by showing international research that light drinkers are not at less risk from heart disease than non-drinkers.

The coalition released a paper presenting other studies that show that any benefits from drinking wine are outweighed by the harm brought about by drinking alcohol.
of course we here all knew that....

D
Old 09-19-2011, 05:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Think Twice in Taking More Red Wine

of course we here all knew that....

D

Finally, ....a little truth leaking out about synthesized alcohol toxins.

Amen.

Thanks for the myth-busting post Dee
Old 09-19-2011, 05:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

FINALLY!!!!!
Old 09-19-2011, 05:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds about right.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've always thought this myself. I know there's a compound in the skin of red grapes that's quite good for your brain and can help prevent some of the degenerative effects of aging (so eat red grapes everyone! and blueberries...they're good for your brain too!) but there's just no way that's not negated by the negative effects of alcohol!

I'm glad they're finally bringing this up! Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee! How anyone could believe that a little poison is good for you was always a mystery to me.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Although white wine was my poison,I know plenty of people who believe red wine is a health benefit. I will be happy to pass this article along.

Thanks Dee

Best Wishes To You!
Old 09-19-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You may be homeless, eating out of dumpsters, on the run from the law, and have a liver that looks like moldy swiss cheese, but at least you don't have to worry about having a heart attack.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just heard on the TV that it was good for you...having one drink a day was ok. But I wonder if that's the booze companies talkin'. Doesn't really matter to me if it's good or not....
I prefer not to listen to most of the statistics and studies and just do what is right for me. I know what's good and what's bad and like to consider myself smart enough to make a choice on my own.

I think one thing that can keep you heart healthy is staying away form all that fried processed food that does nothing but sufficate your arteries.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Darn it! Now they gonna deny that ice cream has any calcium benefits next! Woah is me.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Muunray View Post
Darn it! Now they gonna deny that ice cream has any calcium benefits next! Woah is me.
That's where I'll draw the line...I will NOT give up my ice cream and will resort to taking a calcium tablet instead. LOL
Old 09-19-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I never believed it helped regarless but at least it is recognized now
Old 09-19-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sorry to say this but it's not busted. I just means more study needs to go into wine and cancer. It happens all the time in science. 2 studies say too different things. The more studies they go into this the more we will understand but drinking a glass of wine will most likely not hurt you but drinking a few bottles of it a day will.

I'm just saying.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'd be very wary of that study Dee, the alcohol policy coalition is trying to use it as an excuse to raise taxes. Do a google search of "Do moderate drinkers live longer", it seems they do but then moderate is 1 or 2 drinks a day. There are probably studies out that will prove both sides of almost any arguement. For an alcoholic it's poison, no way to argue that.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes! Ice Cream is a Keeper!!

I've often thought a study such as this would come out. Thanks, Dee!
Old 09-19-2011, 02:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I just thought the article was a relevant one for SR Back and act10n...I read the red wine thing a bit here...

But I'm not a member of the Alcohol Policy Coalition lol, and I have my doubts higher prices for alcohol would have much of an effect on consumption. It certainly wouldn't have with me.

I wouldn't mind some extra money going into addiction education and infrastructure tho

I really don't see how anyone here can argue against the premise 'any benefits from drinking wine are outweighed by the harm brought about by drinking alcohol' though

D
Old 09-19-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

I really don't see how anyone here can argue against the premise 'any benefits from drinking wine are outweighed by the harm brought about by drinking alcohol' though

D
I agree! It's also important to note that the compounds that make the red wine neuro and cardioprotective can be found in other (non-alcoholic and way more healthy) sources. The alcohol can't possibly add anything above and beyond what the resveratrol is adding.

If you want the protective benefits without the wine, just eat a lot of red grapes, blueberries, cranberries, peanuts...
Old 09-19-2011, 03:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I worked with a guy who had had two heart attacks, and part of his stomach had been removed. He cited the "health benefits" of drinking! Keep in mind he drank about a fith of bourbon a day. He died about two years later of heart failure.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

We learned in Psychology that sometimes the people who do the "studies" on the perscribed drugs are being paid by the drug companies. A conflict of interest. The "studies" are not always crediable because we can't be sure that the people who do them are not just telling their bosses what they want to hear. Maybe this is somehow like that? I don't know, but I think there are people who make a lot of money by manipulating people into thinking a dangerous product is a safe one. And how much money do they make if you are become a "returning customer" (addict)? Hmmm.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I always read the studies of people who drank "1-2 glasses of red wine per day". Um, that doesn't apply to alcoholics. It's the addict mind that says "if one is good, 3 (or more) is better!

One or two glasses may be beneficial...I don't know, research is still going on. I do know that the alcoholic will think "See? Red wine is GOOD for me, so drinking a bottle or two will be good for me!!".

Personally? Though alcohol wasnt what brought me to my bottom (crack was), I think people would do better off just eating grapes

Hugs and prayers,

Amy