Notices

Just getting started ...

Old 09-18-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Just getting started ...

Finally, after many years of heavy drinking on and off, particularly over the last two years, I finally dragged myself into the doctor and asked for help. I was ready. He was great and put me on a course of Librium and Naltrexone, then referred me to an awesome outpatient rehab center. Though I have not had a drink since only Thursday, I can't believe how great and especially how hopeful I feel for the first time in years. I really believe that I'm going to make it this time, as long as I go to women's group every day and allow them to be of support to me.

But it's still going to be challenging, as I live with another alcoholic who is not making any effort to get sober and I know there will be time when I want to join him in a bottle. He is proud of me for quitting but I think he is also threatened by seeing me working on getting my life together. Any suggestions on how to cope in a situation like this?
Old 09-18-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi desertsong

A lot of our members have to deal with partners who drink...I think support is very important.

Joining here is a good start - have you thought of joining some real life support like AA SMART etc as well?

D
Old 09-18-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

And, do remember that you can always come here for support. We do understand!
Old 09-18-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome desertsong,

Hope is is a great feeling.

Personally I would find living with someone who drinks impossible. I see it as such a negative now, where as before I would choose people who drank.

As previous posters have written support is important, following a program. It is truly wonderful that you have decided enough is enough and you are going to do some thing about it.

Hopefully your friend will be influenced by the new you.

All the best
CaiHong
Old 09-18-2011, 04:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR desertsong - it's wonderful you found us.

You have a great attitude, & it sounds like you're really looking forward to your new life without alcohol. When I first came here I really benefited from all the uplifting posts. I wanted what my friends here had - a beautiful new life without getting numb & foggy.

You may want to post on the Friends & Family Forum also - since you have a still drinking partner. It's good that he's proud of you, rather than sabotaging your plans to stay sober. Maybe there's a chance he'll want to make a change in his life, too? We look forward to hearing how it's going for you!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome desertsong!