Struggling with the job

Old 09-17-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling with the job

First let me say I love working at a big medical center, and I really like the majority of people I work with. I really feel like I fit in.

However, the rote work that I am doing is tearing my back up enough that I started physical therapy this week.

I feel discouraged, discouraged that I can't seem to get a job that utilizes more of my mind, and not some physical assembly of records all day in a chair that kills me.

I do swap chairs when one of the gals is gone (everyone has different days they work), and I bought a wedge ortho cushion to sit on, but after about an hour of work, the pain increases.

I'm never pain free in my back, but it's usually tolerable.

I get up frequently to stretch. I walk down the hall to get coffee.

Yet I max out at 4-5 hours of work and have to call it quits.

It's hard not to be discouraged.

I go to work with a smile on my face, and leave only to sit in my car and realize just how much pain I am in, and I am glad the day is over.

I don't want to quit because it's extra money I can use.

I just don't know how long I can last with the pain.

This really sucks.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

DeVon, talk to HR, they might be able to help you out. Sending hugs in the mean time to get you through this ((((hugs)))).

Your friend,
Old 09-17-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support, Mike. The first thing I need to do is talk to my job counselor through the temp agency and see what she suggests since technically I am employed by them and not the hospital. I'll call Monday to set up an appointment with her.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck with that, and thanks for your supportive comments!
Old 09-17-2011, 11:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Freedom, go talk to your HR contact (the temp agency in this case) and let them know you need some accommodation with a better chair setup. I manage HR for my family company and I'd view someone like you as a comp claim waiting to happen. From an HR standpoint, they need to try to mitigate your sitting problems as best they can with a better chair, lumbar support, whatever plus scheduled breaks where you get up and move around. Be proactive --- tell someone you are struggling a bit with all the sitting and what you need to make it better. Hang in there!
Old 09-17-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My biggest fear is I am going to get fired because of this. I don't want to appear as a whiner or complainer.

I think it backfires on me that I work hard not to show my pain and people don't realize how bad it get after a few hours.

Ugh.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I was wondering if your back will adjust after a period of time. Perhaps you are doing new twisting and turning that can really throw it out of wack.

Certainly do not have your back issues, however, I do get spasms in my lower back, seems that mine are triggered by stress, a couple of times I could not stand straight, I went from 5'8" to 5'3" in a flash of pain. Muscle relaxers and my mindset has reduced the
frequency.

Have you spoken to your doctor about this? Perhaps there are some other type of shoes that would help, a back support of some kind?

I do not know, however, I would explore all my options B/4 I give up.

Sorry that you are struggling with this pain.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Freedom, I understand your apprehension. Sure hope you can find a workable solution. I will keep you in my thoughts. Sending you a big hug too)))) take care.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Keeping you in my prayers.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know you are fearing the worst if you tell anyone about the problem, but it's not whining. You are far more effective and more of an asset to those you work with and work for if you can get through the day with less pain.
Try approaching it from that perspective. With the right chair you can do more and do a better job overall.

No one should be in such pain, hon. I hope the Temp Agency agrees.

Gentle hugs,
Alice
Old 09-17-2011, 06:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Can you describe physically what you do at the job such that it causes pain, compared to how you physically spend your time while not working such that you are not in such pain? Perhaps with this description we can brainstorm.

CLMI
Old 09-17-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

You are a warrior Freedom ! health is first ....

I am about to have a meeting with my manager and team lead about my need to move to another place so I no longer climb stairs .. I am afraid of what they will say but, it is better to communicate and not be a martyr ... I have paid with my health many years .... not worth it..

Hope there are workarounds so you feel better and keep your job.
HUGS.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Hey!!! I haven't been posting for a while but come by and read when I need some reminders and found this thread. I am so excited you got this job Devon! Congratulations! I just had to log in to say congratulations, and to feel like I am sharing in this good news with you! And also, I felt the urgent need to tell you, they CANNOT fire you for this, it is against the law. What you would be asking for is called a "reasonable accommodation," and what makes it illegal for them to fire you is The Americans with Disabilities Act. Any HR person worth their salt will know this. What I suggest is googling "reasonable accommodation" and your diagnosis or problem, such as "back problem" and you will get hits on exactly what to ask for. There are even websites that give you sample letters you can write to your employer requesting an accommodation. But I would check with the HR person first, cause they probably already have a form. OK, hope this info helps! Miss chatting with you all and wish I had the ability to be on here everyday! Love ya' and enjoy! Be your own best advocate!
Old 09-17-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Freedom my mom sends hugs too, she says there is a HP at work, and perhaps the tension and worry are making the pain worse ... see things as opportunities not as issues ....

We use those gel pillows that heat with electricity, helps with pain..
((Hugs))
Old 09-18-2011, 05:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Sending gentle hugs (((DeVon))) and tons of support!
Old 09-18-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just sending warm thoughts you way.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by catlovermi View Post
Can you describe physically what you do at the job such that it causes pain, compared to how you physically spend your time while not working such that you are not in such pain? Perhaps with this description we can brainstorm.

CLMI
I don't have this problem at home and am in front of the computer most of the day. I have an executive style chair with an ortho cushion to sit on, and a lumbar support pillow behind me.

At work, I pull all the charts for a certain dismissal date, and put them on a cart that I roll back to my area. Then I take a pile of about 6 folders and set that off to the right of me. I work in a cubicle at a long desk top.

They usually have loose papers in the front that I put in in the right places and then I use a 2-hole punch on all the papers, put them on the prongs in the chart, and move onto the next one.

The chair I swap out when I can is a very stiff padded chair that keeps my back arched inward all the time, and hurts early on. There is no adjusting it except to tilt the back just a bit, not much.

I have a footstool underneath that I will rest my feet on with my legs out straight just to change the position of my back for awhile.

I'm working on keeping my stomach and buttocks muscles tight like they are teaching me in PT, but it's hard to concentrate on the charts and doing that too!
Old 09-18-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Oh how I wish I could send you my executive leather desk chair sitting unused in my garage!

And that leads me to thinking how about craigslist? Buy your own chair and bring it into work?

Chairs are mighty important in the office...when we renovated our suite, chairs were at the top of the list for my employer and it had to do with environmental health and ergonomics. Seeing that you work for a health care facility, I would imagine they have a similar mindset as my employer when it comes to reducing incidents claimed on their health insurance policy.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

D
I'm sorry that you're dealing with such terrible back pain. It can be very debilitating.

It sounds like you don't like the task too much and it doesn't keep your mind engaged. Put those things together with back pain and it does seem to amplify it.

Just wanted to send a gentle hug and let you know that I'm confident that you'll figure this out. You've figured out a lot tougher things than this!

gentle hugs
ke
Old 09-18-2011, 10:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kindeyes View Post
It sounds like you don't like the task too much and it doesn't keep your mind engaged. Put those things together with back pain and it does seem to amplify it.
I think you hit the nail on the head all the way around. It's frustrating to once again have a job that is more physical than mental, and I'm not particularly utilizing any of my college education. My purpose in obtaining the degrees was to find work that was no longer physical. I've had that all my adult life.