Notices

I think I've upset my AA spinsor

Old 09-17-2011, 07:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think I've upset my AA spinsor

As I said in a different post, I have the opportunity to go to Beaver Creek next week for a few days R&R. I really need it. I have lupus, and a son with brain cancer. The stress is daily and severe. I am just over a month sober and the people I'm going with (my husband and a couple friend of ours) are pretty heavy drinkers. My sponsor is very upset with me for making the decision to go. She feels certain I will relapse under these circumstances. I know there will probably be times when it will be hard, but I am bringing lots of recovery material to read and listen to, I'm going to stick close to SR, keep in touch with my AA sponsor and new sober friends. I need this trip so badly and am so looking forward to coming back physically, emotionally and spiritually refreshed so I can continue to help my son fight his battle. I have good care for him while I am gone, and the people I am going with know I am in recovery. I don't want to make my sponsor mad, I hate the feeling of disappointing anyone (I used to drink that feeling and all others away), but I have weighed all the pros and cons and especially under current situation I believe I should go. I believe I WILL stay sober. There's nothing I want more in this world than to keep my sobriety. I never want to return to that darkness I lived in again. So, I will make the most of this trip, which is a gift from our couple friend. I will stay sober. I will read and post here. Thank you in advance for being here for me. I leave Monday and return Thursday.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eliasson View Post
I believe I WILL stay sober. There's nothing I want more in this world than to keep my sobriety. I never want to return to that darkness I lived in again.

I sincerely believe with an attitude like that, you will succeed in maintaining sobriety.

If your sponsor is upset, that is on your sponsor, not you. A sponsor can make suggestions, and that's it.

My past sponsors and I disagreed on more than one occasion.

It's okay to take care of you, and I will keep your son in my prayers.

Sending hugs of support!
Old 09-17-2011, 07:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much!!
Old 09-17-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are very welcome! I think it's great you are taking recovery material to listen to and read. That will certainly help you stay focused on what is important...your sobriety. Congratulations on the month. That is a huge accomplishment!
Old 09-17-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

The way I understand it, your sponsor's job is to help you work the steps, not run your social life. Your commitment to sobriety is clear, and you deserve a vacation! Go, relax, and have a wonderful time!
Old 09-17-2011, 08:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

She'll get over it.

Stay safe.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Something to think about: your sponsor's words are bothering you or you wouldn't post about it.

When I am bothered, I need to take a look at me.

Can you make phone calls to your network & sponsor when you are there? Did you write down your plan of action?

Enjoy your time!
Old 09-17-2011, 04:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just want to second what only the truth posted.

I used to hate upsetting people but now I really see it for what it is and the stronger I get in my sobriety, I see that this is part of my alcoholism. It is one of the most freeing parts of being sober for me.
You go and have a wonderful, inspiring time. You have the strength inside of you to stay sober.

All the best
CaiHong
Old 09-17-2011, 08:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I understand not wanting to make anyone angry or ruffle feathers, but if your sponsor gets angry at your choices, it doesn't mean she is angry at YOU. It sounds like this trip is definitely in order and sounds like it would be a great time to fellowship with friends and relax! It also sounds like you're in a great frame of mind and most importantly, you have a plan to keep yourself sober. Go and have a great time, sweetie!!