Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

September 17 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 09-17-2011, 04:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

September 17 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

We often hear it said in Al-Anon that the Twelve Steps are a way of life, not only in coping with the problems of alcoholism, but in everything else. We have only to replace the word “alcohol” with the name of the problem that confronts us.

The beginning of Step One, for example, says” “Admitted we were powerless over alcohol…” That admission can apply to many other difficulties we feel we should be able to control, but are not.

I do have a power, a God-given one, and that is power over my own mind, emotions and reactions. If I exercise that power wisely, the problems outside of me will work out without my interference.

TODAY’S REMINDER

Before Al-Anon, I did everything I could think of to manage the life of my spouse. Yet I was demonstrating every day that I could not even manage my own! I felt I was being forced into doing and being what I did not want to do and be. In Al-Anon, I discovered how to be myself.

“If I try to govern another person’s life, I will fail. When I can fix my thoughts on improving my own, I can count on the help of my Higher Power.”