Notices

Stir Crazy!

Old 09-16-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Exclamation Stir Crazy!

I am a 25 year old woman who has been struggling with my alcoholism for 6 years, drinking either 10-18 Shots or beers a night. I am trying to quit, yet again but can never seem to make it past the 2 week marker before relapsing. I am on day 4 and I dont want to be mean to the loved ones around me, but I am aggitated, angry and I clench my teeth so hard that I get headaches. Does anyone know if there is a remedy to make the withdrawals a little more subtle? Its already bad enough all I can focus on is my next drink and it is absolutely driving me insane.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

welcome Dominica. I found that chocolate, Coke and water, keeping busy with simple things helped. I also let my family know what is happening so they could steer clear.

I don't think there is anything that will "take the edge off" that does not also feed the addiction. See your Dr if it is getting tough or you think you are at risk of a severe withdrawal.

Sobriety is worth it, keep going.

You might find you get more replies if you post under the "newcomers to recovery" section. There is also a thread there called "class of september 2011" where people giving up this month give each other support. The "class" threads are very helpful. You are not alone, keep up the good work.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Thank you.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey I've been there...

The whole on again/off again for me really became so taxing. I remember pacing around my apartment, my head and heart racing, the shakes, sweating, everything. Just trust that this will go away with time. People told me that and it would **** me off so much but they were right. It went away. It went away very gradually. So gradual I didn't even notice at first. Everyone's different.

For me, sometimes just leaving my place and going for a long walk to clear my head and get air helped a lot. I couldn't sit still.

Best of luck to you!! You can do it - just trust that this will get better.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just know that you never have to go through this again.

Hang in there!
Old 09-16-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, Dominica!

I found that reading on this forum really helped me deal with the mental obsession. It also helped to keep things simple, snack a lot, and take Vitamin B Complex. I put sobriety first and took it one day at a time. Just a few off the top of my head.....

The thoughts do lessen over time. Just keep reminding yourself that you're working on a better life. You can do it!
Old 09-16-2011, 06:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I get the anxiety thing, Dominica, but what's with the anger? Or maybe you mean irritability, which I understand also. My witching hour was just before my dinner, when I would have a couple of doubles to take the edge off the day. Then, I would settle in to the rest of the evening so that I could pass out at bedtime. Rinse, repeat. Now, dinner time is when I am most anxious and cranky.

It helped me to put things in a different focus, by trying to step back in my mind, and consider what it was that I was trying to accomplish. I might have believed that I must not feel anxious and irritable, but I realized that was wrong. This was not going to be an easy thing, after years of 10 - 18 units a day, but I decided I could handle it. These addiction thoughts were not in charge of me, I was.

Good Luck, and stay close to SR. It has helped a lot of us through those first tough weeks.

Last edited by freshstart57; 09-16-2011 at 06:35 PM. Reason: speeling musteak
Old 09-16-2011, 09:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! I was feeling irritable and annoyed on and off the first couple days too but slowly my emotions seem to be leveling out over this 2nd week. Hang in there!
Old 09-16-2011, 10:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you are sober four days now the physical withdrawal should be nearly over. Drinking plenty of water and juice and taking vitamins helped me in those first few weeks. It takes time to get back to normal, but don't let the up and down feelings take you back to the bottle.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You did not mention AA...so I will...because it's been a fantastic place for me to learn how to be sober and enjoy life...

Welcome to SR...
Old 09-17-2011, 05:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

One thing that helped me is vitamin B complex. Advised by the shrink when I went to rehab last year. I also was finding myself white knuckling lately and resenting everything. The Dr perscribed Naltrexone for the cravings and I'm feeling much more normal now. I'd see a Dr to see if there is anything that might help. It's a miserable time period - early recovery - I never want to go through it again.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It sounds like you are really "white knuckling" it. From my experience that is not going to work long term and you are going to be miserable the whole time you are sober. Do you have a plan for sobriety like AA, or are you just using willpower? Alcohol is cunning, baffling and powerful, it's difficult to overcome it by yourself.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
It sounds like you are really "white knuckling" it. From my experience that is not going to work long term and you are going to be miserable the whole time you are sober. Do you have a plan for sobriety like AA, or are you just using willpower? Alcohol is cunning, baffling and powerful, it's difficult to overcome it by yourself.
I agree with Zebra wholeheartedly. Our love of our DoC is indeed cunning, baffling and powerful. You can also add Intelligent, Friendly, Educated, Funny, Determined, Compassionate, Clever, Secretive, Persistent, Witty, Patient, Ruthless, Dictatorial, Caring.

I also agree with Zebra that we need a plan such as AA, and willpower won't cut it. There are many other options you can consider though. Here is one to consider. The Lizard Brain Addiction Monster

It's a bit of a read, but it might appeal to you. Good Luck.