Notices

New Here...

Old 09-16-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile New Here...

Hi everyone. I've been browsing these boards for years and this is truly the only place I feel like I can relate to people. My addiction is to Vicodin/Norco and I've been in AA and NA and it's hard for me to relate. There are no PA meetings in my area. I'd love to talk to others, in person, who have the same stupid behaviors I do. Anyways, I went to rehab five years ago, stayed clean for almost and year and have been on and off the drugs since then. I'm not using a lot but I'm doctor shopping and I don't like myself when I'm using. I've learned to tolerate the withdrawals for the most part. I'm just waiting to get arrested-I would certainly deserve it. I have three children, a great husband and I'm pretty happy with life except for this problem. I have no problem with alcohol or any other type of drug-don't know how to get street drugs (thank God!) and I don't like anything that puts me to sleep. I can actually drink one night, yes, i get drunk, but then I leave it for six months-just not my thing.

So, short story very long.....I came here looking for someone to talk to about this issue I have. I want to quit but can't seem to do it. If I get arrested, my entire life will be ruined-I've cleaned up my life since rehab and it's really good and the people in my life do not deserve any of this. I want to be able to share my struggles and get some support for getting off of these darn pills for good.

Thank you for reading and thank you for having me!
Old 09-16-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, I hope you find the support and answers you're looking for. This site is a great resource.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Cali))) - welcome to SR!!

You may think you're ready for being arrested, but I can tell you from my experience, when it happened? I was totally not ready for it. It didn't stop me from continuing with my crack addiction, but when I finally hit bottom, realized I was going to go to prison if I didn't stop (had been in county jails and a diversion center), it helped me seek recovery.

You don't have to go as low as I did. SR has been a huge part of my recovery and someone's always here. I lurked here, a long time, but once I signed on, it really helped.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-16-2011, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, Cali. Welcome to SR. You've come to the right place. The support I received here made all the difference in my effort to quit drinking. I don't have any experience with pills, but I'm sure others will have great advice specific to your DOC. Glad you joined us!
Old 09-16-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you found us.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Cali I too used Norco. My last 3 were on Sunday 9/11/11. So I am only 5 days in. All I can say is that the longer and more I used the smaller my life became. I only used as prescribed at first. Then started spiking to get high. Then needed to obtain from other sources because I would use a 30 day supply in less than 10. I went to a detox clinic in May and used Suboxone for a week. Then googled it and realized that was just as addictive and just as hard to detox. I went back to using figuring I loved the high more than I loved anything else. Finally my stomach and body screamed out to stop. I was using 6 to 10 a day. I would wake up and walk my dog then pop 3 pills. Crawl back in bed and watch movies until late afternoon. Get up and walk dog again and take 3 more pills. Then for some reason the second daily dose gave me energy and I took care of the bare minimum I could to get by and would enjoy the high for another few hours then do it again the next day. Miserable. I realized I was in bed 70 percent of my time or more. Either the euphoric high sent me to bed or the horrible detox symptoms sent me to bed. Regardless i have been in bed for months. And there is nothing physically wrong with me anymore. The original reason to take them has been healed for well over a year.

I thought 911 sounded like a cool day to stop. I rationed them out to have 3 left that day which is a half or a third of my normal amount and so Monday until today I have had horrible detox symptoms. However, I am done!!!! I want to live and enjoy life.

It's hard but worth it!
Old 09-16-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I forgot to say that I bought the book Rational Recovey the New Cure by Jack Trimpey and the AVRT technique is working. There is a thread here on that method of quitting but I am too new to this board to supply the link. So just search on Rational Recovery and you should find those posts
Old 09-16-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to the posting part of SR....
Old 09-16-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Cali - Glad you decided to post! This place has been my rock....

I lurked around for a while, too, and it's totally different than posting and getting involved. Be sure to post in the Substance Abuse section, too.

Congratulations for making the decision to have a better life!
Old 09-16-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR