Husband in treatment center

Old 12-02-2003, 06:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Husband in treatment center

I wanted to share something positive with everyone. My husband has entered a treatment facility for his alcohol and cocaine abuse. I have been coming here and reading and posting from time to time for months and I have picked up a lot of coping skills and have taken good care of myself. I detached from my husband long ago although I had not reconciled what I was going to do with the marriage. When I discovered he was using coke again, I made him leave our home, I had made my position perfectly clear on this issue and though I suspected he was using, I had no proof. It was non negotiable. He was up for 3 days straight, scoring from street level dealers and apparently got a dose of something bad as he experienced hallucinations and was extremely paranoid. I had told him that he was not to call me for anything other than if he was ready to get help. Needless to say, when he left our home, he went out with a bang. I may as well have been the Anti Christ in his eyes! His sister and I took him to the hospital and he stayed there to detox until yesterday morning when he went to a private treatment center. While he was in the detox center, a man he'd met and befriended left the hospital on Saturday after being there for 22 days, used heroin for the first time and died. It's hit my husband like a ton of bricks. I am so relieved that he is feeling something for the first time in years. He has shared with me that the beer triggered the craving for cocaine after he experienced the first buzz when mixing the two. He has admitted that he is most worried about stopping drinking as he has been now for 20 years!! He is quite motivated but I know he has a very tough road ahead of him as do I. I don't fear the unknowns because I have experienced sobriety with my hubby before - he is a different person when not using and drinking. That's who I love. I just know that life is forever different now and I wonder how you guys in this position handle things. I already feel myself strangely displaced, after all, I am used to being a 'codie' - I never enabled but I am sure there is a part of me that liked to be needed. I am going to keep going to meetings and see my therapist..I feel so disconnected from my life but so relieved and pleased for him. This is a miracle - he has fought acknowledging his disease for 20+ years and just like that, he is going full steam ahead. I pray his heart is in this and he really really wants it..
Old 12-02-2003, 06:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Responsible Girl

I'm so happy for you and hope things work out beautifully. Death sometimes is a great motivator- beer is also the trigger for my A, and I hope he doesn't need to die or see someone else die to get him to quit. I admire your strength for making him leave and sticking to your guns.

Good luck and take care.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Well, Mindy - I appreciate your response..
somehow I thought more people might find this topic post worthy considering many of us hope and pray for this step toward recovery..
call me hypersensitive but I must say I expected more response. This is HUGE news...
Old 12-02-2003, 03:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Gracie

I'm glad to hear that your husband's recovery is going so well. It is miraculous to see the sudden change after years of dealing with the denial and the illness. And just as it was a long road down to the bottom, it is the same long road back up to the top. However, one day at a time, we can all heal. Godspeed to your husband. I hope this is the beginning of a wonderful, healthy life for him.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 12-03-2003, 06:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hope for your sake this will be the time it takes. He wanted to go so that a positive thing. You sound like you have things under control. Best of Luck to you.