Notices

Uh-oh. First sober vacation

Old 09-15-2011, 03:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Uh-oh. First sober vacation

Help! My sobriety date (this time) is August 11 of this year. You may know that I am dealing with a lot of stress with my autoimmune illness AND my sons brain cancer. It's a struggle everyday to not run and hide in that bottle as was my pattern. Now I have a dilemma. Our beat friends, who are heavy drinkers, surprised us with an impromptu trip to their cabin in Beaver Creek, Colorado. I so need this break and have family who will care for my son. But I'm scared to death. Not that I ever needed an excuse to drink, but vacations have always been big drunk fests. While I love my husband and our friends, they are all such heavy drinkers and I will be surrounded by alcohol for 4 days. I'm still fairly new at this sobriety thing, but being sober is the most important thing to me in the world. Without sobriety, I have nothing. I could really use any tips or wisdom y'all have to offer. I'm worried. I don't want to drink, and I don't want the whole vacation to be consumed by my worry and anxiety over alcohol. What should I do? Thank you in advance for all your help and suggestions. I have a feeling I will be sticking very close to this forum on my trip!
Old 09-15-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I did 3 weeks at an all inclusive resort the last time I stopped. It was tough to do especially being surrounded by people drinking. I tried a lot of the non-alcoholic drinks, water with dinner and by 9:00 I was ready for bed. Took advantage of the early morning wake-up with no hangover to go for a walk on the beach and actually eat breakfast. I wrote a lot as well which helped. I also read constantly which kept my mind busy. Best of luck to you and checking in here seems like a great plan!
Old 09-15-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello, Eliasson. Sorry, my english is not very good. Your son and you are in my prayers.

It may be helpful to say, at the beginning of the trip, to your friends and your husband that you don't want to drink. You can say the truth (alcohol is a problem for you) or an excuse (for example, you are on diet). You can say them that you have commited to not drink. This way, your friends and husband may help you to maintain sobriety.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Eliasson,

All power to you to want to keep sober, with all that is going on in your life.

Thinking about your dilemma, I couldn't think of anything worse if I wanted to stay sober this early on in your sobriety. Stuck in a cabin with 3 heavy drinkers. In my drinking days I would have loved it.

Is everyone involved in the trip aware that you are trying to stay sober?

Goodluck if you do decide to go, arm yourself with books, DVDs anything to reinforce your descision to stay sober. If the situation gets tough, go for a walk listen to your mp3, if you have one. download AA speakers, meetings anything that will distract you from joining the drinking.

Enjoy the break. Post often for support

My best wishes
CaiHong
Old 09-15-2011, 08:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the support and encouragement and all the great ideas. I'm looking forward to actually being able to remember ALL of my vacation. I will let my husband and friends know that alcohol is a problem and I will not be drinking. I plan to think of it as a renewing "spa" type get away. Hike in the mountains, eat healthfully, breathe in the fresh mountain air. I'll make sure I always have something non alcoholic available. I'll also read and listen to everything possible recovery related and if I don't bother people here too much I'll check in daily here as "accountability" and for support. Will let y'all know how it goes. With Gods help, and all the support I've already experienced here, I have faith I can dio this. I can't thank you enough for your help. It is so amazing that strangers are so willing to help me! I pray I will one day be able to help others the way u have all helped me!
Old 09-15-2011, 10:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You already are helping. It always helps me to read inspiring posts like your last one.

Have a great vacation—sounds a lot more fun and relaxing than the one your friends are planning.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eliasson View Post
being sober is the most important thing to me in the world. Without sobriety, I have nothing.
I would say them exactly these words: "being sober is the most important thing to me in the world", to make sure they understand the seriousness of the problem. So, you will feel "forced" to maintain your commitment and they will encourage you and disapprove any attempt to drink.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm hopeing your husband and friends will be supportive and with your auto immune illness it's perfectly reasonable that you won't be drinking.

Yes...please check in here ..pray often and enjoy your sober break...