OT Therapist issues .. I was sent to a psychiatrist.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

OT Therapist issues .. I was sent to a psychiatrist.

Long story short

A therapist should not discuss the issues of the patients with anyone else right? Today she talked to my mom and my mom was upset.

I feel I am in the middle of major drama (this has been ongoing the last 2 weeks) but the recovery tools have helped me detach, take what helps me, and leave the rest.

I know my mom has issues, lots of them.

And now I realize my therapist has many too, like anyone else, but she has been broadcasting my personal issues with my mom -of all people-, with a "friend", with her family and with the maid....

The "friend" that recommended me - turns out she is a major backstabber.

Anyway I realized I have a huge issue (tend to accumulate things ) so I am going to a psychiatrist. Deep down I knew I was a psychiatric case. I no longer feel hurt by this. If I need help I need help period.

But realizing people that were supposedly supporting you, were not what they seem, hurts.

I know things happen for a reason though. I will trust life as it takes me to a healthier place. I am moving out soon, hopefully. My mom is supposedly leaving on Monday. I feel my peace is being tested. Time to remember my true friends and contact them.

The tools of recovery are truly precious. Today I am so exhausted there is nothing else I can do but give everything to HP and go through my day as best as I can.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not only is it wrong for your therapist to discuss your issues with others, in the USA it is ILLEGAL. My children (13 and 9 at the time) saw the same therapist as me. In the beginning, she met with all of us together and told us that she would not/could not share anything they said to her with me unless there was a life-threatening concern (i.e. talk of suicide or something). If I asked her about my children, she would either request that I speak directly to them, or schedule a family session where we could be present together. Even though they were both minors at the time and she was allowed to share their details with me, she felt it was more important that they trust her. I respect that and I believe my children benefited from having a therapist they could speak freely with.

You deserve that same respect. I suggest you drop that therapist like a hot potato and find someone trustworthy to help you.

L
Old 09-15-2011, 04:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

LTD thanks for validating this.

My mom was renting here for a month, she was able to observe things I did not see for myself before. Too bad as I felt great in therapy.

By now I have learned though there are many others who can help me. And I will seek them.

Thanks for your feedback. I am no longer going to therapy, was thinking of going back but then my mom told me about things this woman has talked about with other people in my absence. Two-faced people... I have no energy to deal with them at this point. Much less a therapist! it goes two ways, she has also told me way too much about other people I met in group therapy, about her family... with names and all, not just anonymous examples one can learn from like they do it in self help books.

Though hurt I feel some clarity, thank God for SR and sane people. Thanks LTD.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey TC, I'm sorry to hear that "therapist" did that. LTD is totally correct, it is both wrong and illegal. I'm glad you are able to walk away from that person and seek other people to help you out.

Mike
Old 09-15-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That "therapist" needs to be reported. I went through a nightmare a year ago with a "therapist" who acted totally unprofessionally and I pursued it to file a complaint with the state licensing board bc she was downright dangerous. She was fired from where she had been employed which shows clearly I wasn't the first to complain.

The betrayal I felt was overwhelming and I imagine you are feeling something similar-ish. I am so sorry for your having this experience.

The "therapist" had no right to talk to anyone. Unreal. Words can't even describe what I'm feeling. I feel so badly for you.

Just know that it's not you. Just like with an A, we can't control it, didn't cause it etc... the same is true of the wack jobs in the therapy profession. You trusted your therapist bc you are a decent person and expected them to act professionally. You got hurt just like we are hurt by the sick acts of an A. Don't believe (if you are) that it has anything to do with you. That "therapist" is sick and has no business being a therapist.

Sending hugs over the internet to you!
Old 09-15-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Reading your post made me feel violated and this has never happened to me.

Take care of yourself and realize that this has nothing to do with you.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Thanks friends. SR, the place where I always find support no matter what. God bless you.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Journey To Me

I am so sorry. The thought of this type of betrail happening is horrible. I agree with the others that she should be reported. You are a better person than me, for handling a situation such as that so well.

I am glad you are able to move on, accept the path that HP has in store for you, and find other trustworthy people for support.

You are doing great.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That "therapist" needs to be reported.
Absolutely. And the sooner the better. That "therapist" should not be practicing. In this state, she'd have her license taken away.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Unfortunately there is no one to report her to, here in this country things don't work like that. Besides, she has had posts in politics (which explains why my country is in the sad state it is) and has "contacts" so I would be the one losing.

I am mourning the loss of the therapist, then my mom (not the best role model) and also my friend who badmouthed me and gossiped about me. Now I am not so sure if I will go No Contact with this "friend". I guess I should.

These 3 were the closest women I had, but now I see their realities very clearly... and although I love my mom, she is so depressive that I feel how she takes up the rest of my energy.

This ex "friend" is a REALLY good doctor though. I had an appointment with her tomorrow... now not so sure about going... although she talks too much, etc., she has helped me at different times...

Feeling very lonely and sad nowadays.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

My conclusion is that everyone around me is insane, that I need to trust.. myself, and to talk more with the good people that is still with me while I go through these changes...
Old 09-17-2011, 04:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm sorry that you were so violated, and I feel your pain.

Please be gentle with yourself, okay?

Sending you hugs of support.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

please can i hit them all over the head..?? oh sorry, me bad....

just my 2 cents...

((HUGS))
Old 09-20-2011, 11:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

HIPPA is a BIG deal. She violated the law and you need to report her for the violations.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blwninthewind View Post
HIPPA is a BIG deal. She violated the law and you need to report her for the violations.
The OP is in Mexico. What applies in the states doesn't necessarily apply in Mexico.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Programmaddict

Sometimes the "therapist" turns out to be "the rapist".
In my case, everytime. I have zero trust for the lot of them.
Thus, I am grateful for the non-professional alternatives.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I had written a long post but realized my ideas are a mess. Lol. Will need more of your feedback soon ....
Old 09-22-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I do not trust either my mom nor my therapist nor my best girlfriend now.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

If you know someone talks behind your back (and that is the way they are) do you stop talking to them and go No contact? isn't this too extreme? although for what would you need "friends" like this?

I am thinking about this girlfriend - she also happens to be my general doctor and she is really good at her job. I would like to continue seein her in this way.

Shall I talk with her? but of course people don't change so what's the point? then again I can't go on acting friendly as if I don't know she is a backstabber. I am no hypocrite.

On the other hand she has supported me in other ways such as offering to lend me her van for my move, and to take care of me in her house after I go through Lasik operation. If I think about my own convenience, I would rather keep the relationship as I will benefit from it. But of course this is not a friendship more like I using her.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have some friends that I know talk about the conversations they have had with others. They are genuinely sweet people, and have lots of friends, but everyone knows that you don't tell them anything unless you are okay with EVERYONE knowing it. They are pleasant people to pass time with and we help each other other, but I would never share something private with them.

And I have some friends that I would trust to keep any revelations to themselves.

I am fine with having both as friends, as long as I stay clear in my mind about expectations of privacy.

If I had shared something with the realistic expectation of privacy with someone I know is capable of being discreet and it was not honoured, I would feel betrayed. I think your Doctor MUST keep anything within your professional relationship with her absolutely confidential. If this did not happen, I would probably not keep her as a friend or as a doctor. The trust would be irreparably broken, in my mind.

Sending kind thoughts your way.