How much can one person drink?

Old 09-15-2011, 11:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How much can one person drink?

My wife has progressed over the years from an occasional beer to wine then to whiskey and now drinks straight vodka. As much as 2 big bottles a week, that I know of. She trys to hide it as much as she can (shes not too good at it) so who knows maybe more. I'm wondering how long this can go on? This cant be good for her health. She goes from a 3 or 4 day bing to vomiting to the shakes and tremors and all the other withdrawl stages and after a few days starts drinking again - its a repeating cycle
Old 09-15-2011, 11:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have a partner who binges on Vodka, she is quite small and it doesn't take much before she is gone-unlike wine or beer she can get aggresive with it. Sounds serious -have you sought help for yourself with Al-Anon?
Old 09-15-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

bem

I really do not know how much one person can drink. I was stunned to my core when I watched my exabf down half a gallon of jim beam AND half a fifth of jack daniels in one evening. I knew at that moment it was BAD.

The cycle you describe sounds pretty bad. I am sure someone will give you a better answer shortly.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

bem, she's in the last stages of alcoholism with that routine. My EXAH is there now and I couldn't stand watching him come each day closer to death so I had to end the marriage.

I'm so sorry bem that you have to watch this and I'm sure like my EXAH your wife is very thin as well? I'm sure she doesn't eat, just drinks mostly?
Old 09-15-2011, 12:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There is no one answer for your question. How much anyone can drink depends on so many factors including height, weight, sex, age, medication, health issues, drinking history...

To get a general idea of what might be normal you can Google "BAC calculator" and play around with the number of drinks to see what a typical BAC might be for different types/numbers of drinks. Bear in mind that an amount that could cause a coma for one person could leave a "practiced" drinker still functional.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i was drinking 1-2 bottles a day/night for months. thats with waking up 3 times a night to maintain.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Till they go to rehab or die

My husband on the final bender before he went into 28 day rehab 2.5 weeks ago, passed out on the living room floor, had him taken to the hospital by ambulance where his BAC was .535. Yes, that number is correct. The doctor was going to intubate him as they were afraid he was going to quit breathing. He should have been dead. He would have been dead if I hadn't called the ambulance. I told the doctor it was obvious that he was a danger to himself, he couldn't come home and they had him agree to go to the psych ward, do his detox there for 4 days and we found a rehab for him.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

My limit was usually a 1/5 of Vodka or a 24pack of beer daily when on a bender. I would black out after only 2 or 3 though.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The more she drinks the more she can drink if that makes sense. My AD (shes pretty small) told me once after she got in trouble at school for drinking and being drunk in the halls distrubting other students that she swore she'd only had 5 beers and 3 shots of Jim Bean and she was so messed up she didn't know what was going on because she was so new to drinking.

Well last time she got arrested I asked her how much she drank and she said a full round of beer pong beers and a handful of vodka shots she couldn't remember the exact number because she was really wasted.

The moral to the story is she's drank so much that her alcohol resistance is higher and being an alchoholic like she is she exerts that limit because she can't stop drinking once she starts so she just keeps going until she cant go anymore. So one person can drink as much as they can handle which will be more the more they drink
Old 09-16-2011, 11:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
If you take a brief look at the wiki entries for Cases of high blood alcohol levels and Highest recorded blood alcohol level/content you can see some death-defying (but more often deadly) instances of massively high levels of blood alcohol content "records".

There's no real prize for having achieving these kind of levels except having one's body reach room temperature.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't know how long it can go on, but I do know that women are more profoundly affected by alcohol and they can go downhill a lot faster than a man.

Are you attending any Alanon meetings for yourself? Alanon has helped me tremendously in all areas of my life, not just with my 33-year-old AD. It has given me the gift of serenity and peace, regardless of what my AD, or even my youngest daughter does.

The book "Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie is very good if you haven't read it yet. Amazon sells really cheap used copies online.

Sending you hugs of support!
Old 09-17-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My X drank a beer starting about 10 am every 7 minutes......would (nap) about 4-6pm and get up and start again.......if he was doing liquor he could knock it out......plus add pot.....uh....wears me out just remembering it.......
Old 09-17-2011, 09:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't know what the "limit" is, but my AH has had 3 bottles of wine TODAY and is still drinking... and the uninitiated wouldn't know he was even drunk.

I'm expecting to wake up later to him doing something stupid. :/
Old 09-17-2011, 09:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Lord Have Mercy

My AW maxes out at one 1.75 liter of vodka every other day. Her OWI was a 0.351 and she has regularly tested over 0.400 bac while standing up straight and actually functioning. But that is towards the terminal end of the spiral. Remarkably she's come all the back about 5 times, only to relapse 2-6 months later. It's an unbelievable nightmare.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have asked the same question myself

Wondering when one will die from too much

I know mine drank one 5th a day

Stomach problems increased. Muscle tissue/mass started to disappear

Its been a good 2 year or more with this routine

He doesnt eat much anymore from what I have been told

Still holds a job

And still drinking

So my final answer would be.....99 beers on the wall....LOL
Old 09-18-2011, 01:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My XRAGF had a similar pattern. I can't tell you how bad it got before she decided to go to detox because she hid it. She was 95 lbs then.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Journey To Me

It is astonishing to me as to how much alcohol my RAH would drink. It had gotten worse throughout the years, and as his tolerance built up he had to drink more to achieve the high he was seeking. He would try to hide it mostly, so I didn't get an accurate judgment. He filled water bottles up with vodka, hid pints of whisky all over the house, and was drinking wine/beer openly until he "promised" he would quit. I cannot even fathom the damage that was being done to his mind and body. He would drink so much to where he puked, and then chased the vomit with a swig of vodka. He threw up blood, and then washed it down with some more vodka, but he was still walking around in his inebriated state going on his rants. Most of the time he would drink until he passed out.

The amount one can consume depends on ones tolerance level. There is no one size fits all for that question. It is truly scary.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MTSlideAddict View Post
He threw up blood, and then washed it down with some more vodka, but he was still walking around in his inebriated state going on his rants.
How often did he vomit blood? What ended up happening to him?
Old 01-22-2012, 06:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My XAH could drink, pass out by 2pm, wake up at 4pm and do it all again ! He could drink 1 1/2 case a day....... oh- if it was Vodka- he could knock out a 1/2 gallon a day- EVERYDAY.......
Old 01-22-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

For me there was never enough alcohol
21 yrs ago to satisfy my cravings for it,
just as it is 21 yrs later where there still
will never be enough alcohol in this world
to satisfy my craving for it.