Notices

Will I Ever Sleep Like a Normal Person Again?

Old 09-15-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Will I Ever Sleep Like a Normal Person Again?

Hi All...

Today is officially my 1 month mark so yea for me! My mind is definitely clearer, my body is feeling good, my anxiety is starting (just starting) to ease and my mood is much better, even with all of the things going on with my mom. (If you are interested feel free to read my blog posts). The one thing though that is driving me NUTS is that I cannot sleep! I go to bed exhausted at about 10 or 11 and fall right to sleep, but inevitably wake up at about 1am and just toss and turn in and out of light sleep. I also have the most vivid dreams. Some of them so nightmarish that I will wake up in a cold sweat. I realize this is a common after effect of quitting the sauce, but it is starting to make me insane. I have gotten to where I am starting to dread even trying to go to bed. My lack of sleep is making me feel nearly as bad as I did when I was drinking.

My question is, when does this get better and is there anything I can try that might help me get some ever loving SLEEP? I have tried nearly everything, melatonin, camomile tea, no caffeine after noon, I even got a prescription for numerous types of sleep aids from my doc but none work, they just make me woozy. I already exercise a ton... I am just at my wits end. Any help would be sooooo appreciated.

JBB
Old 09-15-2011, 09:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Congrats on your 30 days of sobriety. It's great to hear things are gradually getting better for you. I hated that it was a gradual thing, I wanted it NOW. Heck, I still do most days.

It will get better. It did for me and I was sure it wouldn't. Thing is, I had SO many years of horrible sleep habits that it took some time to get on the right track and for my body to adjust. It really will get better. Just know that going back to the drink will definitely make it worse.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations on 1 month!!!

In 30 days, you've barely tried anything over a period of time; meaning things earen't magic and don't work in one "try." Exercise early in the day. Stay away from tv computer phone or kindle type things- bright lights fool the body. Get a night time routine- warm bath, a glass of milk, quiet lighting, some reading. Or do an internet search & come up with your own routine.

Are you in a program of recovery? I know for me, sobriety is an action. I know I must put every effort into creating normalcy as I drank for many years. Nothing changes fast except my moods & thoughts. Action is the key for me. I must put effort into changing every bad habit I reinforced.

I wish you the best! Things will change for you
Old 09-15-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had a problem with sleeping a while back when anxiety was really bad. I had a prescription to sleeping aid. What I found over time is that I didn't need sleeping aid and I made not sleeping a full night out to be a bigger thing than it was. I found if I lay in bed and get rest even if I'm not sleeping a full night I'm still rested enough for the next day. So, at least for me, when I stopped stressing about it, it wasn't a problem anymore. Eventually I started sleeping normal again. At least the days when I'm not drinking that is.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Have you tried a warm bath in the evening to relax your muscles? my go-to is also a small dish of vanilla ice cream or yogurt..(calcium makes me sleepy for some reason).

it will ease up, everyone is different...keep your bedroom cooler and as dark as possible too.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sleep always comes and good sleep at that, I have suffered Chronic sleep problems for years, all I can say is forget anything you hear or read from anyone in the medical profession about sleep, also the same with anything about remedies or sleep aids esp prescription aids, I was a zopiclone addict for years started at 3.5mg then four years later was popping 4x that. The only advice I can give is do not worry if you go 1/2/3/4 days without sleep , you will still function the worst you will feel is "groggy" but its not like a serious life threatening ailment.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
orangutan

I had terrible insomnia in the beginning and it took months to get a full nights sleep happening but now I have the best sleep I have ever. Hang in there it will come.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've been suffering with the same thing-- today is day 32 for me, and sleep has been....fleeting and uneven.

Sometimes meditation works for me- maybe it's worth a try.
Also, stretching at night has become absolutely crucial or there is NO way I'll sleep.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey JBB

there are some common sense tips here - but if you're concerned it's probably best to see your Dr

Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

D
Old 09-15-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Might take a couple months, but around 90 days or so, you should be mostly back on the level.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am a chronic insomniac, and I have tried pretty much everything too.

The one thing I am sure of is, the harder I try to go to sleep, the more impossible it becomes. In other words, for me it becomes about letting go of my determination to sleep. My advice is to try to rest, if you can't sleep.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree about the stretching, that can really help so ease tense muscles too.

I have to say that sober sleep is the best sleep.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

congrats on 1 month!!

i'm at 103 days, and my sleep issues still come and go. some days i'm sooo tired, falling asleep at the wheel, napping as soon as i get home, la di da. others, i dont need any sleep, i only sleep a few hours, i don't need caffeine or anything to stay up, i'm good.

i'm on a variety of other meds for anxiety so that i'm sure plays a part in my issues.. i guess i can't say based on sobriety alone.

do you mind me asking what the dr gave you to sleep? i was given trazadone, which i had a weird reaction to (i woke up the next day and it was like i had a cold.. stuffy, head congested.. it was so weird) so the dr said to stop taking it.. i've taken clonodine, that knocked me out like whoa but i'd wake up shortly after tossing and turning.

i've tried melatonin and valerian root, as well. melatonin worked for me in one dose, and the other, it kept me up. i don't remember which dose worked for me, but ive heard lots of people saying that works for them. valerian root is calming too, i took it in place of xanax when i ran out of my script. there are some other things you can get from vitamin shop or gnc that will be some sort of natural concoction for sleep.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of the great tips guys! I will try some of them. I have a prescription for ambien and rozerem. Neither work. Maybe I should try something like Lunesta which is supposed to keep you asleep. That is my problem. I have NO trouble falling asleep, it is staying that way that is driving me nuts. I went to be at 10:30 pm last night and woke up at 12:15 am and then that was it. Up and down with nightmarish dreams until 7:30 when I finally dragged my a$$ out of bed and went to spin class. I am averaging about 2-3 good hours of sleep and then just 5 or so of torture.

Esyla... maybe I will try the valerian root. I have been studying that for a while because of my massive anxiety and thought that might help instead of taking the valium I have been prescribed. Funny enough, the valium does help with my anxiety but doesn't calm me enough to sleep!

I do think a lot of it has to do with the circumstances with my mom. I have terrible dreams about her and wake up feeling bad about not being there to help her right now, and I can't stop thinking about a future that most probably will include me living with her for a while to help take care of her. These are the fears that wake me in a cold sweat wondering what will happen to me, my daughter, my husband, my business and my sobriety if/when that occurs. I'm trying to take it one day at a time but my anxious mind just won't let me.

Here's hoping tonight is a restful one. I really burned myself out in spin class so maybe that combined with a nice light dinner and warm bath before bed will do the trick.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Whatever you do don't start on the sleep aids. I've become totally addicted to them after a major relapse 5 months ago and am going to be going the cold turkey route using valium to ease the effects but I know the hell that is laying in store for me, having been through it before without the aid of valium and would not wish it on my worst enemy.

I almost wish I'd just gone through a bout of the DTs from the very beginning and never gotten hospitalized which is where they started me on the valium and zopiclone. I've always come out the other side using that route within a week, coming off the benzos takes considerably longer it seems.

I'm going to have to try and put my happy face on every day at work and hope I don't fall apart
Old 12-01-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Danielmalice

Hope you've seen a Dr and got their input on this

D
Old 12-03-2011, 06:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

So far so good

Well, it seems taking 20mg of valium an hour before bedtime has done the trick although this is only day 2 off the zopiclone. That makes 30mg valium a day one in the morning and two at night. I'm gonna go with this combo for the next week and then it looks like the valium taper is really not so bad so I can take it from there using the Ashton method, although I'm gonna try and accelerate that so I'm off all this garbage by the new year. My Pdoc wants me on anti-depressants but so far I've refused to take them, like I need another addiction!

I've gone off much larger doses of valium before cold turkey and am not going to repeat that as I wound up in the ER and I certainly don't want to repeat that experience.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Two suggestions, one of which is obvious, that is get back to your doctor on this issue and see what further can be done, but be very careful of addictive drugs. The second is that when you wake up at 1:00 a.m. don't just lie there struggling to get back to sleep. Get up, read a book, preferably a boring one, watch TV, but not anything exciting. Then see if you become drowsy after awhile. I do this and find i can become drowsy in about an hour. As if my body says, "O.K. You win this one. I'll let you go back to sleep because THIS BOOK IS SO BORING!" In the final analysis, time will eventually resolve your sleep issue but it takes time. You say in your post that your anxiety is already starting to lessen.

W.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congratulations on a month!!!

About the sleep thing: try switching to a futon, don't eat within 2 hours of going to sleep, get more exersize, try sleeping alone in a really quiet room (you don't have to sleep alone forever)

I don't sleep all that great either, but I know that I sleep really well in a quiet environment with no disturbances, on a futon when I get plenty of exercize and don't eat to close to dinnertime. Also allergies really upset my sleep, so if you have allergies you must address this.

Last edited by cuyootoo; 12-03-2011 at 09:24 AM. Reason: more
Old 12-03-2011, 11:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I was lucky if I got 3 hours sleep in my first month. It did improve after awhile and I'm back to normal.