Notices

Midweek cravings

Old 09-14-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Midweek cravings

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

As is with my nature and being a weekend bender type of person the thoughts of drinking generally start on Wednesday's for me. The past weekend's physical ailments/paranoia are behind me and the anticipation builds for the weekends binging. I'm day 4 and have absolutely no plans on drinking but my question is how long until these kind of thoughts pass? I'm sure it's different for everyone but I would love to hear peoples experiences.

I plan on changing up my routines which will have me out of the house Friday night. Yes it's a social function and drinking will take part but I'm driving and that has always been a major deterrent and something I have never done. Saturday I am hosting a family BBQ which is definitely out of the ordinary, normally I would never do something like that because I would have to not drink for fear of getting plastered in front of my in-laws.

And thanks again for all the support of the SN people. It truly has helped in coming to terms with the way I am feeling
Old 09-14-2011, 11:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

While alcoholism is a progressive disease so is recovery. After a few months you become used to being in your skin sober and the constant drinking thoughts disappear. However, being around other people who are drinking isn't wise ... can you take someone who is sober with you? Always have a glass of club soda or diet coke in your hand, it helps.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Prayers to you. You CAN stay stopped!
Old 09-14-2011, 11:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm also a strictly Friday and Saturday binge drinker. My head usually clears around Wednesday and i feel back to normal on Friday just in time to do it all again. I moderated my intake for a while by only buying three beers on Friday and staying home. Every time i would want to drink one i would put it off for a half hour, then i would regroup and put it off for another half hour. It was sort of a tease but i liked knowing that i had beer in the fridge. If i just drank them it would still a while before my bedtime and i would be out of beer and the craving for more would set in. By delaying my drinking i drank the three beers right before my bedtime so when i finished them i was very sleepy and wanting to go to bed instead of wanting to party more. I repeated the process on Saturday. This actually worked for me for a long time to the point were i would forget to drink my three beers for the night. I recently went on 4 consecutive vacations and completely went back to partying like crazy. It's always the social occasions and vacations that always ruin the moderate drinking routine for me. I definitley feel your pain.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Relapse begins with "no plans" so be on guard! You can stay stopped!!
Old 09-14-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Alva - I'm in exactly the same situation. Weekend binge drinker and it is also my day 4. My cravings, too, start around Weds. Today's stressful day at work doesn't seem to help!

I don't have much advice to give, as I am new to this too, but I just wanted you to know that I can relate. I'll be around drinking this weekend as well. It's my best friends birthday and we are going camping. I arranged the whole thing so I have to be there. I'm not confident that I can do this! It would be so much easier if my friends didn't drink.

Please let us know how the weekend goes. I hope both of us make it through, sober!

Just wanted you to know you aren't alone
Old 09-14-2011, 12:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
While alcoholism is a progressive disease so is recovery. After a few months you become used to being in your skin sober and the constant drinking thoughts disappear. However, being around other people who are drinking isn't wise ... can you take someone who is sober with you? Always have a glass of club soda or diet coke in your hand, it helps.
Thanks NYCDoglvr unfortunately I am obligated and committed to this function as it's work related. I am taking my fiance who does drink but will stop after 1 or 2. As mentioned I am driving and in the past I won't even have 1 drink and drive so it's not a concern.

My thoughts are to entirely change my weekend habits until I feel comfortable enough to sit around watching a hockey game on a Saturday night. Like many, in the past I set myself up so I would not have to leave the house which allowed the drinking to carry on. For me going out to dinner and a movie is something that I haven't done in a long time and as a bonus can only strengthen my relationship with the woman I love.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnimalCrackers View Post
Hi Alva - I'm in exactly the same situation. Weekend binge drinker and it is also my day 4. My cravings, too, start around Weds. Today's stressful day at work doesn't seem to help!

I don't have much advice to give, as I am new to this too, but I just wanted you to know that I can relate. I'll be around drinking this weekend as well. It's my best friends birthday and we are going camping. I arranged the whole thing so I have to be there. I'm not confident that I can do this! It would be so much easier if my friends didn't drink.

Please let us know how the weekend goes. I hope both of us make it through, sober!

Just wanted you to know you aren't alone
Congrats on Day 4 AnimalCrackers!

I wish you all the luck in the world getting through the weekend. I can only imagine how difficult it will be in that situation. Is there any way possible you can bow out of the event? From limited experience waking up on a weekend morning without a hangover is truly an amazing experience and something I'm looking forward too. Since you are camping you would be able to get up nice and early, go for a hike, fishing, take pictures etc. Sounds like a golden opportunity to go out on your own with a book and experience the moment, even a journal to write down what you are feeling/experiencing.

I like you have limited experience and I am limited with my advice as well but as you know there are plenty of great people here to help both of us.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by idletime2 View Post
I'm also a strictly Friday and Saturday binge drinker. My head usually clears around Wednesday and i feel back to normal on Friday just in time to do it all again. I moderated my intake for a while by only buying three beers on Friday and staying home. Every time i would want to drink one i would put it off for a half hour, then i would regroup and put it off for another half hour. It was sort of a tease but i liked knowing that i had beer in the fridge. If i just drank them it would still a while before my bedtime and i would be out of beer and the craving for more would set in. By delaying my drinking i drank the three beers right before my bedtime so when i finished them i was very sleepy and wanting to go to bed instead of wanting to party more. I repeated the process on Saturday. This actually worked for me for a long time to the point were i would forget to drink my three beers for the night. I recently went on 4 consecutive vacations and completely went back to partying like crazy. It's always the social occasions and vacations that always ruin the moderate drinking routine for me. I definitley feel your pain.
Thanks idletime2,

I wish that would work for me I tried something similar last weekend but just ended up finding more to drink. Vacations are a bugger, I always looked ahead and thought that was a reason not to give up drinking. Now? Well definitely not looking that far down the road.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Alva. I'm so glad you're discussing this issue. Giving up our weekends is painful in the beginning. I agree that the drinking thoughts eventually disappear. For me it was a few months. It's very hard not to fall back on our old behavior, even when we know it's causing us grief.

In my case I didn't stop drinking on the weekends, even when I knew I needed to. So I just kept going with it - and eventually Fri. & Sat. nights turned into Sundays. Then some 'hair of the dog' on Monday. In the end, I was drinking 24/7 & never had it out of my system. This won't happen to you, Alva! You're putting a stop to the progression of alcoholism. You're doing great.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Alva, I'm on day 4 too, so I don't have advice to give, but I wanted to let you know you're not alone. I commend you for doing something about this problem now while it's still just a weekend binging situation. Best wishes to you!
Old 09-14-2011, 04:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found this technique useful:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

In my early recovery I made a commitment not to drink every morning - some days were easier than others, but I was determined to do everything I could to keep that promise.

It's possible

The more you stand firm against the urge the easier it gets in my experience - but I drank for many years - it took me more than a few days to not want to get drunk.

You're not alone tho - there's always support here

and if you continue to find it a strain, please look for more support - there's a lot of recovery groups and counselling out there

D
Old 09-15-2011, 06:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Camping is off! My friend is sick (hurray?). This will make the weekend much easier!

Good luck on day 5!
Old 09-15-2011, 07:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Hi Alva. I'm so glad you're discussing this issue. Giving up our weekends is painful in the beginning. I agree that the drinking thoughts eventually disappear. For me it was a few months. It's very hard not to fall back on our old behavior, even when we know it's causing us grief.

In my case I didn't stop drinking on the weekends, even when I knew I needed to. So I just kept going with it - and eventually Fri. & Sat. nights turned into Sundays. Then some 'hair of the dog' on Monday. In the end, I was drinking 24/7 & never had it out of my system. This won't happen to you, Alva! You're putting a stop to the progression of alcoholism. You're doing great.
Thanks for the info/support Hevyn. Today is not as bad as yesterday for me, perhaps because I have accepted the fact that I'm not buying anything and my weekend is planned with activities outside of the home.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NightsWatch View Post
Hi Alva, I'm on day 4 too, so I don't have advice to give, but I wanted to let you know you're not alone. I commend you for doing something about this problem now while it's still just a weekend binging situation. Best wishes to you!
Thanks Nightswatch,

Congrats on day four, well day 5 now. Just knowing you are on the same day is as good enough as advice for me. And best wishes to you as well.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I found this technique useful:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

In my early recovery I made a commitment not to drink every morning - some days were easier than others, but I was determined to do everything I could to keep that promise.

It's possible

The more you stand firm against the urge the easier it gets in my experience - but I drank for many years - it took me more than a few days to not want to get drunk.

You're not alone tho - there's always support here

and if you continue to find it a strain, please look for more support - there's a lot of recovery groups and counselling out there

D
Very interesting article and I have applied to techniques when attempting to quit smoking. Ironic that the drinking was the excuse I used to go back to smoking LOL. I am hoping to set a quit date for that as well in a few weeks. I'll try the "urge surfing" should the need arise.

Thanks for posting the link and the kind words of support. I appreciate it very much.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnimalCrackers View Post
Camping is off! My friend is sick (hurray?). This will make the weekend much easier!

Good luck on day 5!
Sounds like a blessing in disguise AnimalCrackers,

You know as well as I do what we do when sitting around a campfire until the wee hours of the morning. Now you can change up the routing if that works for you.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The Devil's Other Name

Camping.

The one temptation that I STILL cannot contemplate trying, SOBER...I always got polluted on booze, when I camped.

Perhaps, your HP has saved you from having to go camping, count your blessings.

Kelly
Old 09-15-2011, 10:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Don't believe in HP. I think change comes from within. I will be the driving force that keeps me sober this weekend - for myself and no one else.