Notices

Cravings- how long does it take !!!

Old 09-14-2011, 07:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cravings- how long does it take !!!

Please- I have been a very heavy drinker and on my fifth day- how long until the cravings and needs for it lessens ?????
Old 09-14-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, and welcome...It really depends on you...and what you are doing to remain sober/recovery....the cravings vary from person to person...I would say the first 6 months for me were the hardest...I tried all kinds of different avenues, AA, mindful meditation,reading recovery books, changing my diet..go to an addictions councellor...etc..it all helps....I have been in recovery for 20 months...and I to was a heavy long term drinker...cravings still sneak up on me every now and again...I don't think that will ever change...what has changed is that I haven't given into them...I let them pass....and pray ALOT!!
all the best and pm if you would like!!
Old 09-14-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

It took me longer than 5 days. I would guess about a month into recovery, I stopped craving alcohol. Just know that it will get easier and you're doing great!
Old 09-14-2011, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is alot harder than I thought it would be !!!!!
Old 09-14-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is hard. But it's harder in the end to just give in and drink, plan on drinking, lie, hide, etc.

For me the cravings began to subside the first several weeks. I won't lie to you~~ i still have some thoughts after three months. I have come to realize that it is a daily work in progress. I have to be active in my sobriety - not idle.

My suggestions is to make sure you are meeting your basic needs - sleep well, eat well, socialize. Also I found that a new degree of patience has been forced upon me.

I'm beyond the hope of expecting profound changes overnight.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
It depends on the person. I had what seemed to be physical cravings for months, as if they were coming from my bones. After around four months, it felt mostly psychological, but it did get easier, ever so slowly.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

after months, how did you keep telling yourself no ??????
Old 09-14-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by llc1969 View Post
after months, how did you keep telling yourself no ??????
I used a method called Addictive Voice Recognition Technique to dissociate myself from the desire to drink. PM me if interested.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

have you thought about joining the september class llc?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post3104789

D
Old 09-14-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I told myself 'no' by knowing in my soul that I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink. And that made it easy to decide. Also, in early recovery I asked myself two questions if I had the desire to drink. One; would drinking make the situation any better, and two; did I want to feel like sh!t the next day. I don't think I ever had to ask question number two.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It gets easier as time goes by. There will at some point be a day in which you do not crave it. Then at another point, a week might go by. Later a month. At a given point, it might be years that you go without a craving.

But one can hit, even years later, but if you just take that day as it comes, and don't give in, it will pass. Never be afraid to call on a friend or your sponsor.