Notices

dreading a vacation...

Old 09-13-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

dreading a vacation...

So i'm heading back to Alabama for an extended weekend and i've been drinking enough to suffer from withdrawls. I am scared of going through this around family and friends. I am going back to rehab when I get back (i'm making the appointment today). I am stressing like mad and that's just adding to the apprehension I get from traveling. Should I try to quit cold turkey today or confess to my husband, have him help regulate me and run to rehab on Wednesday? I'm not afraid of rehab but this trip is scaring me silly.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Don't go...
Old 09-13-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think if it makes you upset, then you shouldn't go. I had to learn to say 'No' when I began recovery and it's made a big difference in my life.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I really want to see my family. I think the second best thing would be to pour out my stash, come clean to the hubby, go through the worst. I would call off the trip but the ticket is already bought and paid for and I miss my hometown so very much.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That is a tough one. Family stresses me out, so I know I wouldn't go.

Do you think you might need to see a doctor before going to let them know what is going on and maybe they can give you some meds to help you detox?

Tapering was just impossible for me.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I saw a therapist last week who wanted me to go to rehab ASAP but I didn't tell her about my trip. I'll call my doc today and see if he can meet me before the trip. Anything to help the detox would be welcome.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Are you wanting to taper between now and your trip? Or is your concern that you won't be able to stay sober on your trip?
Old 09-13-2011, 01:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am from Mobile, by the way.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Not concerned about not drinking during the trip but scared about how upset the family will be knowing about my relapse. I just called my doc and made an appointment for 9AM tomorrow. I won't be close to 100% but i'll be there. My life is just such a mess right now and I went back to the same old innefective "therapy."
Old 09-13-2011, 02:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Elisabeth 88, Kinda funny that many publications list Mobile as one of the most heavily drinking places in the country. Milwaukee is absolutely the worst. Every festival, every concert, every gathering is the worst. Beer and mixed drinks are such a part of culture here. At least Mobile seems to confine it to Mardi Gras.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

OMG, I had no idea. Drinking is part of the culture there. It makes me wonder how many people I grew up with are also alcoholics.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post
I really want to see my family. I think the second best thing would be to pour out my stash, come clean to the hubby, go through the worst. I would call off the trip but the ticket is already bought and paid for and I miss my hometown so very much.
If you're going to go back to rehab, won't you need to tell your husband at some point?

I like the idea of seeing your doctor so get some help with a detox. A plane tickets can be changed. I know it costs like $150 but isn't that worth avoiding the stress and anxiety right now?
Old 09-13-2011, 03:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I understand you want to see your hometown, but imagine waiting a few months and seeing it after you've been through rehab and have some solid recovery time. Wouldn't that be so much more enjoyable? I mean, as much as you like the idea of visiting, are you really going to enjoy it right now, with everything going on?
Old 09-13-2011, 03:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Do what you feel is best, but please consider that the cost of the trip is not all that big in the long run. I used to spend $400 a month on alcohol so for me that trip would cost 1-2 months of drinking. By not drinking for a few months, you've already made up for the cost of the trip.

Besides that, even most "non-refundable" tickets can be changed for a fee of around $100. You can take the trip later if you really want to.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post
Elisabeth 88, Kinda funny that many publications list Mobile as one of the most heavily drinking places in the country. Milwaukee is absolutely the worst. Every festival, every concert, every gathering is the worst. Beer and mixed drinks are such a part of culture here. At least Mobile seems to confine it to Mardi Gras.
I'm from SE WI myself and totally know what you mean about Milwaukee. Actually, it's most of Wisconsin, not just isololated to Milwaukee. Although I do miss living up north.....
Old 09-13-2011, 06:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Hi Displaced Grits, glad to see you.

I think you should do whatever will lead to the least amount of stress. If you feel stressed out by dealing with family and having to suffer through these things in front of them then I think you should not go. If you think you would find them as a source of comfort then you should go. Either way, I think it would help you and feel great to come clean to the hubby, and probably the family too. It may be hard to imagine now, but as hard as it is to be honest with family and spouses, the truth is they likely know the what's going on anyways, so it won't come as a shock, and also being honest with them feels soooo much better than trying to keep everything under wraps.

I had lots of secrets in my life around this time last year -- secrets about drinking and relationships and my sex life. The stress of worry about all these secrets was killing me. For reasons I won't bother going into, all my secrets were forced into the light of day and EVERYONE in my life (friends, family, coworkers, random acquaintances) found out the truth of what was going on. It was tough but I have no secrets now and there's a lot less stress in my life.

Anyways, take care.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

At the clinic now. Today must be the Day. If I have faith in myself I can have faith in my recovery. Today I will believe in Faith.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by MaxKl View Post
I'm from SE WI myself and totally know what you mean about Milwaukee. Actually, it's most of Wisconsin, not just isololated to Milwaukee. Although I do miss living up north.....
SE WI is a lotta fun but I miss my Deep South so much!
Old 09-14-2011, 09:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Trying to pick up a 'script from my Walgreen's but apparently they and my clinic are no longer communicating. Frustration abounds!
Old 09-14-2011, 03:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

My script is for lorazepam. I pray this will work for the extended weekend. Fudge my job, I am heading back to treatment as soon has I get back! I will have a better time regulating the lorazapam than the booze. Kinda strange. I was an Ambien abuser for a while but I dropped that pretty easily. I am afraid of abusing the lorazepram but my doc knows about my substance abuse so I feel like I have another person has my back.