Notices

Seeking knowledge from SR

Old 09-13-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seeking knowledge from SR

I write this looking for some feedback from the community here. My AF was hospitalized about two weeks back due to alcohol detox. He was medicated, watched, monitored, etc. This is the third time this has occurred within the last 2-3 years.

Now, however, the dr's seem to feel he has passed the detox phase, but he is still out of it. Not making sense, talking about things that never happened, generally delirious.

Can anyone share any advice or information on something like this happening? I had been expecting this to go on for about two weeks from what I've read, but the doctors say he is through the tunnel so to say at this point.

From your experiences, is this to be expected, and for how much longer would you think it will continue?
Old 09-13-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

will what continue? Are you wondering how long he'll continue to do this? - if so, you may not like my answer. What I've seen (including the same exact stuff in MY father - only he's managed to work himself into a couple mental hospitals as well along the way) is this: they either stop the behavior or it kills them. .....and bear in mind, not all alkies die from "drinking too much" (i.e. - liver failure). I'd suspect a big % take their own lives and a majority die from "alcoholism related" issues - which are so vast and far reaching it's unbelievable.

Unfortunately, for someone like my dad, he's "detoxed" a dozen or more times.....damn near died DURING detox a couple times too.....but he's gone right back out shortly after. Alcoholism is a bi*ch.....you don't even you you have it or you're convinced that your case is different......so it just keeps kicking your butt, relentlessly, until you do something about it - long term.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Ask the doctor about your dad's mental condition and what may happen.

Prayers sent
Old 09-13-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think everyone is different. Depending on how long and how much the persons been drinking. I had "mind" fog for about a month. I wasn't delirious just a bit out of sorts. If you are concerned I might consult another Doctor to make sure your friend is okay.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 09-13-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Definitely bring this up to the doctor (sometimes it takes a little insistence to get answers from them, so keep asking!). It could be prolonged symptoms, the meds they're giving him or something else altogether. Also, sometimes end-stage alcoholics with liver disease have high ammonia levels and that can cause mental issues, too.

I'm sorry you and your father are gong through this. I pray things turn around soon.....:ghug3
Old 09-13-2011, 10:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

That must be so scary for you. Please don't forget to take care of yourself through this too.

Sending prayers.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I sincerely appreciate the feedback. Unfortunately, the doctors yesterday simply expressed 'concern' over his current state, no real feedback as far as I am concerned. A psychiatrist was brought in to evaluate but no results back yet. I will try to corner one on my next visit.

As for meds, I am told he is off them. So to the best of my knowledge, this is simply residual effects of the detox process. Perhaps this is just a really heavy fog?
Old 09-13-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by guided View Post
Now, however, the dr's seem to feel he has passed the detox phase, but he is still out of it. Not making sense, talking about things that never happened, generally delirious.
I have worked with both alcoholics and dementia patients and sometimes they both inflict the same individual around the same time. It would be best to have him see a psychiatrist.

Also try posting in the F&FoA forum to see if anyone there has seen this.

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 09-13-2011, 12:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please know that we sympathize with your situation, but we cannot offer any kind of medical advice.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Please know that we sympathize with your situation, but we cannot offer any kind of medical advice.
Understood.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
I have worked with both alcoholics and dementia patients and sometimes they both inflict the same individual around the same time. It would be best to have him see a psychiatrist.

Also try posting in the F&FoA forum to see if anyone there has seen this.
This was done yesterday, and perhaps today as well. I've been not been able to speak with anyone today, but hope the results are helpful.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome guided

I wish the best for you and your husband - I think you're doing the right thing to keep pressing people for action and answers.

D