Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

September 13 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 09-13-2011, 03:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

September 13 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Once upon a time, there was a married couple who lived in a beautiful house, and had lots of the material things that many of us think are important to contentment. They were not contented, however. What with one little misunderstanding and another, the situation grew worse. Nobody would give way an inch in their bitter arguments, until at last, their love turned to hate. Finally the wife insisted that the inside of the house be divided by a brick wall, behind which each could live in his and her own quarters. Each went his own way, and they never spoke to each other again as long as they lived They had many wretched years in their isolation.

Am I unknowingly building a wall between myself and the person I married? Is it being made of stubbornness, self-will, self-righteousness and a desire to punish? Such a wall can be as hard and unyielding as though it were made of real bricks. It would leave me no space in which to grow. As one member put it:

“God grant me the wisdom to recognize the faults I am building into a wall, such a wall as cannot be penetrated even by love.”