Notices

Grocery shopping is a lot less complex than in "the old daze"

Old 09-12-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Grocery shopping is a lot less complex than in "the old daze"

Went grocery shopping today and thought about the fact I am now almost always going to the store that is both convenient and that I like. I used to rotate between 3 or 4 stores that were neither, but I wanted to disquise the amount of alcohol I was buying, like the world was watching. I also went early and took back roads fore obvious reasons. I also spent time scoping out the stores keeping an eye out for co-workers or AA fellowship. I would load bulky stuff over my bottles of booze like camo and buy stuff I didn't care about to balance my cart. Now I drive to the store I want to when I want to and buy what I want to (not alcohol), regardless of who's there. And It's a damn sight cheaper.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Grocery shopping is the same for me - no alcohol in grocery stores here...

but I'd always go to the bottle shop after...it's definitely a lot easier just carrying shopping, without the bottles too

Thanks Fitz
D
Old 09-12-2011, 04:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ain't it great? Not having to hide anything from anyone.......and not having to disguise yourself for fear of detection !! I remember I used to put a low hat on, sunglasses and thought I was fooling everyone. Usually the disguise was because I looked so bad and didn't want anyone to know how badly I needed a drink ! lol

Actually, the worst part, was when I got to the cash register, hands shakey and sweaty, and had to pay. The anxiety and fear was overwhelming. I always thought they would notice and refuse to sell me the liquor. Even worse......when I had to pay with check because my account was over-drawn and I knew it would take a day or two to cover. Writing out a check with hands shaking is the worst feeling in the world, an almost impossible feat.

So ain't it great not to worry about all that?
Old 09-12-2011, 04:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sure can relate to that people. The shame, feeling the world is watching and judging.
I don't ever want to go back to that.
CaiHong
Old 09-12-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, I spent so much energy trying to organize my drinking life, it exhausts me just to think about it.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i've definitely been there and done that. rotation of convenience stores, grocery stores. in reality, i doubt anybody notices or cares, but with a sick mind, paranoia really shines through. can't wait to save the cash to put on a vacation.

happy to hear that we can both make it to the store with no more shame.
congratulations
Old 09-12-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

What we put ourselves through with all the hiding, sneaking & deceiving! I'm so glad we don't live that way anymore.