Notices

111 days clean, but having severe panic

Old 09-12-2011, 12:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

111 days clean, but having severe panic

Hi New Friends,
I am finally sober, 111 days today, but I am getting wicked panic attacks. Any ideas that help?
Old 09-12-2011, 12:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

All I got is mindfulness exercises. Learning about this stuff is a journey in and of itself, like getting and staying sober. Mindfulness Exercises - Everyday Mindfulness Exercises For Stress Relief

Hitting the gym is another way to live immediately in the moment.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Pats11,

I had them too, still do once in a while and I'm at day 216. The things that helped some for me was getting regular exercise, a good nights sleep, cutting out caffeine and eating a well balance diet. That didn't stop them completely but sure seemed to help me. When I do feel one coming on I try to go for a brisk walk and practice some deep breathing to relax. Good luck and awesome job on the 111 days!
Old 09-12-2011, 12:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is discouraging to me. Day 111 and 216? I'm on day 40 with some pretty bad anxiety. I deal with hyperventilation now every single day. I never knew quitting would be opening myself up to months and months of anxiety and panic attacks. This sucks but hopefully at some point this will all get better and be well worth it.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Cut out caffeine, watch the sugar.

I worked the 12 steps. I am working them a second time. I haven't had any anxiety this time getting sober. I'm done with drinking/getting high and I'm embracing sobriety. Hanging with really spiritual people help immensely.

Prayers to you all!

(I'm on step 9, working 10-11 daily)
Old 09-12-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by withdrawing View Post
This is discouraging to me. Day 111 and 216? I'm on day 40 with some pretty bad anxiety. I deal with hyperventilation now every single day. I never knew quitting would be opening myself up to months and months of anxiety and panic attacks. This sucks but hopefully at some point this will all get better and be well worth it.
I didn't mean to be discouraging but was trying to be truthful. I was to the point while I was drinking I was having daily panic/anxiety attacks. I'm now to the point I can go a week or so and feel great, then all of a sudden one comes out of the blue. They keep getting less and less and farther and farther apart but when they come they really suck. One thing they sure do though is give me a clear reminder on why I will never drink again!
Old 09-12-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Bikeguy, I'm glad to hear that this gets better. I agree, this anxiety with panic attacks is the main reason I will never touch alcohol again either. I am going through the worst summer of my entire life right now though. This has been a huge wakeup call for me at 42 years old after 20 years of drinking beer.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you continue to have anxiety/panic attacks and are staying sober maybe it's time to see a doctor about your anxiety. I've had it for years but it was far worse when I was drinking. Now that I'm sober the meds I take for anxiety work a lot better. They are a godsend for me.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Pats

I definitely agree with least that if you're concerned about your anxiety level, seek some professional advice

D