a little laughter

Old 09-12-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

a little laughter

:rotfxko I just had to laugh today. Hec, I have been crying off and on for a good week. It all just struck me as funny today. I was taking the long way home from the store, and driving 5 miles under the limit. I was hoping my son would be gone for the day by the time I came home. Not so lucky, I saw his car in the driveway, and I circled the block a few times. I finally had to pull in. I went right to my room, and then I heard the "mom" from the other room. Akkkkk. Of course it was the old, "please, please, please, loan me some money."
I didn't loan him the money, and he did leave a few minutes later. I started thinking about all the crazy Sh&* I have done over the past few years, and I just started laughing, laughing at me, laughing at him, laughing at the situation. Good lord, I was circling the block!

I am not sure why, I know the whole thing isn't really funny, but it just hit me. What the Hec am I doing?? Good lord! Well, it was good to laugh.

I don't know, it just cracked me up.

I know that I know, I have to get him OUT of this house, and somehow the laughing made me feel strong-- hope that makes sense.

Thank you all again, I can not tell you in a million years how much this room is helping
Old 09-12-2011, 11:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Some times I'd have to laugh because the alternative was to cry, you know?

I did get a giggle out of you circling the block!
Old 09-12-2011, 11:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Ugh....yes, Mr. HG and I knew we had gained our strong boundaries with his son when we could find the humor in many of the active addict crazy requests.....and our former actions.

Heck we would drive around the block, change locks on doors in "stealth mode"....etc.

Sigh....

Hugs, HG
Old 09-12-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I always laugh when I have an aha! moment. It's like the weight of negativity is leaving me and I'm free again
Old 09-12-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Chino

Exactly
Old 09-12-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I laughed at some pretty wacky stuff when I first started recovery, and I still do sometimes. When I say wacky, I mean the stuff that would make someone else's heart sink.

Some would say how sad it is that you have to circle the block to avoid facing your own son. But those who have walked that path understand what you have gone thru to get to that point and what a joke avoidance really is. Like standing in front of a sneezing horse for the 100th time thinking you won't get any on ya. Yeah, right. It is laughable.

Your perspective is starting to change and you are starting to change how you emotionally respond to the situation. IMO, it's a sign of your recovery setting in.

Bravo!

Alice
Old 09-12-2011, 04:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh I have found myself in near hysterical laughter when I've recognized some of the things I've done! I'm not sure if I'm laughing instead of crying for the release or if I'm laughing at myself for doing such silly crazy things.

I actually went to see my son in jail after his DUI arrest. I told them my name and I was there to see my son. They told me I couldn't. I walked about four steps away....turned around.....walked back up to the man and said "I'm here to see my client." The guy just looked at me and said "You told me you're his mother." I said (with a straight face) "I changed my mind."

Yes. It really happened.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 09-12-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have yet to laugh, havent in a while come to think of it, not the way I used to but I do know the feeling of not wanting to be around my addicted son sometimes I just wish hed go away, sometimes I dont feel like answering his phone calls but cant get myself to that point yet..but I can totally understand what you are all saying
Old 09-12-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It wasn't until I came to SR that I began to laugh again, mostly at myself, lol.

I think it's a turning point in our recovery when we can finally laugh at the crazy things we have done. Maybe it means we're not crazy anymore,

Hugs for making me smile.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

I think...once we begin thinking "sanely" again, we can have a good laugh at how crazy we were.

I remember once, our youngest son appearing on our doorstep crying hysterically because his GF was KIDNAPPED BY RUSSIAN GYPSIES, and they wanted money to release her.......(and obviously they didn't think she wasn't worth much, I think they only wanted a thousand)

Luckily we said NO, but for days afterward, my brain kept whispering....but what if it's really true?

CRAZY!
Old 09-16-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

December,

Thanks for your post - it made me laugh too. I think it's important to not take ourselves so seriously all of the time, to just laugh when we feel like laughing, smile when we are happy, cry when we are sad, and not over-analyze or over-complicate our lives. Who cares why you were laughing - at least you were laughing, right?

Have a great day and keep up the laughter - it's the best, and cheapest medicine!