Notices

I wonder if anyone else has been here.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question I wonder if anyone else has been here.

I am 28 years old, have cycled in and out of drinking since my teens. 3-4years ago I fell into a daily habit with steadily increasing consumption. 2 years ago I consumed 750ml of scotch in one night. I swear it felt like an accident.
Following this incident I developed a persistant pre-frontal(?) head-ache. This was accompanied by confusion, fatigue, despair, closed eye delirium, sleep disturbance, paranoia, tracer hallucinations, decreased gut motility, depression and more. I went to the doctor. We agreed to wait and see. I quit drinking for two months. As my condition has slowly improved I have struggled with my affinity for alcohol though my consumption is not nearly what it once was. I try to eat right. I take vitamins and supplements I have researched to attempt to aid my recovery. I do what I can to exercise brain and body. I do not want to let this destroy me, my career, family, future, etc.

Can anyone out there relate? I do a lot of reading online and off, but have yet to discover descriptions of experience similar to mine outside of the general Wernicke-Korsakof spectrum.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There are several symptoms you mentioned I am familar with. Thing is I experienced them drinking beer and tripping on acid. They were not long term. You sure alcohol was all you took that night?
Old 09-11-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You sure alcohol was all you took that night?
There was marijuana, but there always was. Sometimes I forget.

And yeah, the acid blues. Multiply by 10,000 (that feels like self-pity, but I think I know where you're coming from).
Old 09-11-2011, 07:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ohio
Welcome

Maybe you need to try a different Dr - I tend to think you've waited and seen enough.

I'm unsure from your post but if you're currently drinking I hope you'll find help with that - I'm not a Dr but I'm betting drinking would not help your general malaise.

D
Old 09-11-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Like Dee said it's confusing as to whether you're still drinking or not. If you are then it will be difficult to get an accurate diagnosis regardless of which doctor you go to.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was drinking last night, I am not drinking today. At the moment I am not particularly holding much hope for plumbing the depths of the healthcare industry with their radioscans, exams, prescriptions, and expenses. I was just hoping to maybe hear from some folks who might have an idea of what I'm going through.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know exactly what you're going through. The frontal headache thing as you described is very frequent to me lately (at 90 days.) For me the headaches make me feel very on edge, and irritable most of the time. I've been also struggling with depression, anxiety, and similar stomach issues as well. Mostly a loss of appetite/nausea when about to eat.

It's weird because I always feel like this when after a few days of early sobriety. It seems to be cycling which I've heard is normal in later but still early sobriety.

For the headaches, it helps me to watch my sugar/caffeine intake as well as vitamins like you said. Personally, I think it's still my body adjusting to life post alcohol.

You might want to read about Acute Withdrawl Syndrome, and Protracted Acute Withdrawl Syndrome/Post Acute Withdrawl if you haven't already.