Notices

first sober wedding

Old 09-10-2011, 11:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

first sober wedding

Man, that was a test. I went to my co workers wedding tonight and this is the first wedding I've been to since getting sober. It was an open bar and everyone was drinking and having a great time. I felt a bit bummed that I couldn't participate. But, I knew that it was not worth giving up my 45 days of sobriety to have a few free drinks. I am really proud of myself
Old 09-11-2011, 03:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done. If you ever go to a wedding again, disappear off out to a meeting for an hour and come back then, it will make the day seem shorter and easier for u. No one will miss you either.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done mate, resisting an open bar is a hard thing to do. I just got an invite to a wedding, which will also be my first attempt at one sober. Hopefully I am as successful as you.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

Good for you! You should be proud. I have been to several weddings in sobriety with my husband. We go and stay long enough to participate in the festivities but not in the party that goes on after the dinner. I do what I intended to go there for and then leave. I don't live vicariously through people drinking. That's what works for me.

BTW, congrats on your 45 days of sobriety! Fantastic!
Old 09-11-2011, 10:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Good job, lbern - You can add another "first" to your sober accomplishments! I'm like Kablume - I'll go for as long as I feel I need to and then leave. I've noticed that most people do the same thing. I used to find the drinking group and hang out with them. Now I stick to the nondrinkers or social drinkers - the conversation is much more interesting.....

I've also discovered I'm not much of a social butterfly and that's OK.