Notices

success.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

success.

I struggled last night not to drink because it was friday but I didnt touch alcohol and woke up this morning with a clear head. normally, I would have been drinking into the early hours and saturday would be a right off and a day of depression but not this time. I'm glad I didnt waste my money and I dont have to worry about not recalling what i said to people in the pub and whether I was offensive or not. And I wont have to worry about whether I'm over the limit for driving or if I stink of alcohol when i go to buy a newspaper. this is a good day.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats really awesome, Wullie - the first Friday is always tough
Congratulations!

D
Old 09-10-2011, 01:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

Fantastic effort. Good work. It keeps getting better.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

ahh Fridays, i used to think Friday nights were made for drinking, now i still love Fridays, theres just no booze involved.

Thats awsome!
Old 09-10-2011, 03:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've read the newspapers and off to the gymn shortly and I have no intention of drinking today either. I was advised to make a plan and keep myself busy so I'm going to focus on doing just that. It's just after 11am and usually at this time on a Saturday I'd be awake after a heavy session, still half drunk and feeling like ****. By late-afternoon I'd be feeling so miserable I'd hit the pub again for a hair o the dog and after a few pints i'd either stay out and get hammered or go home with a carry-out and continue drinking while eating hangover food. I'd feel totally crap on the Sunday and vow never again but then the cycle would start over again as soon as I felt better and I'd convinced myself that my drinking was 'normal'. That's been the pattern for most of my life but not any more as this week I realised that I am an alcoholic. I fear that if I don't stop drinking I'll have an early grave so now I change. Thanks for your support.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

OorWullie - Look at you...off to the gym! Your post made me feel so good this morning. So proud of you for making it through, & jumping those hurdles.

I had a similar pattern. Hair of the dog - I thought it was magic how it would cure any hangover, & I'd be all ready for another session. I can't imagine what that was doing to my body all those years - never gave it a thought. I'm so glad you saw the light and are wanting a new life for yourself.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by OorWullie View Post
I struggled last night not to drink because it was friday but I didnt touch alcohol and woke up this morning with a clear head. normally, I would have been drinking into the early hours and saturday would be a right off and a day of depression but not this time. I'm glad I didnt waste my money and I dont have to worry about not recalling what i said to people in the pub and whether I was offensive or not. And I wont have to worry about whether I'm over the limit for driving or if I stink of alcohol when i go to buy a newspaper. this is a good day.
One day at a time! you can do it man!
Old 09-10-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

way to go wullie. i'm with you all the way. friday nights are tough. we went to bed early, but a fitful night with about 3 hrs sleep. we had a 5k this morning, and now i'm heading to play racquetball. hoping to keep busy all day so mind mind doesn't wander to far off track.
keep on rolling forward.
make today a good one.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

feeling good today and turned down an invite to a friend's house tonight as there will no doubt be lots of alcohol on the go. This forum is a lifeline so thanks for all the support.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Wullie,
You are on your way. Stop and really appreciate how good you are feeling right now. Tell yourself that every day dry will only add to your optimism and feeling of control.

It is also very important that you tell yourself you have done a great thing for yourself. How are you going to reward you? Self reward is an important part of changing your behavior. Keep at 'er.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
yay oorwullie!! A real life...isn't it nice?

My mom always says "put that one in your back pocket" LOL meaning keep close at hand the lovely experiences or days like you have described to pull out on the not-so-hot days. It's awsome to have full pockets Very quickly one finds that they even have enough in their pockets to share with others...just like you did with your post.

Thanks for sharing. I love reading ones like this!!!
Old 09-10-2011, 12:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

That's wonderful, OorWullie - enjoy your day!!!

Smart decision to pass on the invitation, too....
Old 09-10-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Not touched anything tonight either so really pleased. Another positive is that I'm not smoking. I've always termed myself a 'social smoker'. ie When I'm sober I don't touch cigarettes at all - well, hardly ever - but when I'm drinking I chain smoke and can easily go through 20 in an evening.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've been sober since last Wednesday and last night turned down an invite to go the pub. The friend who asked me out sent an email about five minutes ago to say he was just up after a 'lock-in' that lasted until around 4am. He was on "whisky, sambuca and jaegermeister" and is still a bit drunk. I am so glad I declined as I would have been there until the death, resulting in the rest of this week being a complete wash-out. I've walked six miles today with my dog and cleaned my flat and and I even did some work. Good times!
Old 09-11-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Atta Boy Wullie...you've now had a dose of "what a feeling" when you get thru and break the cycle of your regular crap routine...you didn't go over it or under it, you went thru it and came out the other side feeling GREAT! Well Done..you've put a smile on my face
Old 09-11-2011, 03:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

great work OorWullie

D
Old 09-11-2011, 03:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Doesn't it feel good to be able to do what you need to do without feeling like hell?
Old 09-12-2011, 01:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great to read this
Old 09-12-2011, 03:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I like threads like this, very cool!
Old 09-12-2011, 03:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Well done you! I'm lagging behind at day 2 but you're a real inspiration.

This website is a lifeline when you're 'going through it' and just a few words from someone else who understands and has been there or can share the experience means the world.