Notices

Can't do it.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't do it.

I joined here maybe three weeks ago due to a binge drinking problem. I've been drinking heavily every weekend since then (bar one). I just can't stop it for some reason, I waver between thinking it's not a problem and thinking that it is a very bad problem. It clearly is a problem, and I can't go on like this. I'm so down and I just can't be bothered to try and not drink any more. Sorry this is a depressing post, it's just very difficult to not rely on drink basically. I'm bloody fed up, and I'm not even sure why to be honest.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, I found this forum this week in a bid to stop a binge drinking problem I've had for 30 years. I've had the same thoughts as you for years and again all of this week and tonight. I drink, feel terrible and vow never to do it again then as soon as I feel better I convince myself that I dont have a problem. I've been getting seriously drunk for three decades and I have to stop. tonight has been hard as I usually hit the pub for a session but i've not gone out nor touched a drop of alcohol. it';s not easy but I'm staying sober tonight. that's all I have to do.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by youngun View Post
I joined here maybe three weeks ago due to a binge drinking problem. I've been drinking heavily every weekend since then (bar one). I just can't stop it for some reason, I waver between thinking it's not a problem and thinking that it is a very bad problem. It clearly is a problem, and I can't go on like this. I'm so down and I just can't be bothered to try and not drink any more. Sorry this is a depressing post, it's just very difficult to not rely on drink basically. I'm bloody fed up, and I'm not even sure why to be honest.
I know it is hard trust me. The best thing to do is go to AA meetings. I think it is important to go out and meet people who are or have gone through this same thing. It is hard because everyone you know is at the bar and now you mat not have many people to hang out with. But go to some meetings, do 90 meetings in 90 days. Some days go to a couple meetings. It does take time, but go buy a big book, go to meetings, and things will start to look up.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The reason it seems hard or almost impossible for people, (myself included when I was TRYING for 20 plus years), is because trying is not DOING. There was an incongruence in me that wanted to try to stop and try to control, and yet I still really thought I wanted to drink to.

My breakthrough came when I convinced myself and my subconscious that I did not need to drink, I could never control my drinking, and I wanted to be sober. It took a long time to get rid of the incongruencies and get my whole mind and my body on the same page. I could say I didn't want to drink and I hated when I binged, but somewhere deep down I still wanted it and that's why I thought it was almost impossible. Get on the same page with you.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi youngun

it's tough when you're stuck between rationalising it's not a problem and knowing that it is a very bad problem...

like supercrew I battled for years - I didn't want to have to change my life - my life, and all my friends lives, revolved around social events where booze flowed.

I didn't want to have to be different....so I kept drinking - and it got worse and worse for me.

I know now what I was actually looking for was a way to drink and not lose control, and not have bad consequences happen to me.

It took me 20 years to figure out, unfair or not, that was not possible for me.
My relationship with drink was, is and always will be self destructive.

I really hope you're not as slow to realise that as I was, youngun.

D
Old 09-09-2011, 04:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Youngun,
good on you for recognising the problem early on. I think it does take a lot of effort in the beginning stages,fighting the cravings, breaking the habit and so on. It does get easier though.
Good luck on your recovery.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Youngun, it's good that you recognize you have a problem.

Take some action to help yourself. Posting and reading here is always a good idea.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi youngun. Im a 24 yo male who has been dangerously binge drinking every weekend since I was 12/13. I'm nearly 3 weeks in to my second attempt at breaking the cycle after I lost almost everything to my problem including my mental health. Everyday I ask myself if staying sober is worth it but when I really think about it... is getting smashed worth it? The depression, anxiety and struggling to remember nights that you can never relive?