Notices

2nd day cold turkey

Old 09-09-2011, 09:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy 2nd day cold turkey

approx. 3 yrs ago I started taking percocet for headaches. My doctor was prescribing me 60 a month. I had been only taking two a day. up to most recently a script like that only last me 1 week. I was just taking two or more at a time throughout the day. I have decided that I do not want to refill my script any more and I want to quit taking percocet daily. I am not the same person I was 3 yrs ago. I have been only taking them to help me block out some difficult situations in my life. Now I ran out and do not want to take them anymore. I had the worst time sleeping last night. I drank two benedryl and two night time nyquil generic brand. I experienced so many heat flashes and cold chills. I am shaky and skin is tingling. Please help me I want to quit cold turkey.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like a trip to the doctor is in order, ScaredNM. Withdrawal isn't anything to play around with by yourself. Especially when you're substituting with other drugs, OTC or not. A doctor can help you through withdrawal safely and more comfortably.
It isn't easy asking for help. We all realize that. But when it comes to your own life, there's no reason to go it alone.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I dialed my doctors office three times the first two times I hung up. The last time the closed message came up. I texted my husband and then I chickened out. I just want to get past these next couple of days. I am sure it will be better than. My pride is not allowing me to share my problem with anyone because I am in a very high position at work and very well respected. I just need to know what to expect, what else to do?
Old 09-09-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome ScaredNM......

I'm so sorry you're having a rough time. Withdrawal is a little different for everyone, which is why we can't offer much in the way of advice. I hope you can get in touch with your doctor, but if not, you may want to consider a walk-in clinic or even ER. Doctor's are sworn to privacy.

You might also want to check out our section on substance abuse:Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

It's hard to reach out for help (especially when we're feeling bad), but taking care of yourself has to take priority. I hope things work out for you......:ghug3
Old 09-09-2011, 12:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Addiction knows no class boundaries. Please don't let your high expectations of yourself keep you from getting the help you need NOW. Please get a ride to your nearest ER. That tingly skin stuff sounds serious.

I have never detoxed from opiates, but I saw Gene Hackman in The French Connection. I wish you the best in your journey.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you freshstart57 I am starting to have a hard time focusing and I am freezing but sweating at the sametime. I never thought that was possible. My legs are very restless and I am not sure if I can last any longer like this.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi scaredNM

I agree with the others - sometimes getting through things ourselves is simply not the best option available.

if you feel poorly or you're concerned, it's best to see a Dr - like artsoul said walk in clinics or the ER are always options

Nothing's more important than our well being

I hope you'll get some advice - and feel better soon

D
Old 09-09-2011, 08:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Cold turkey is dangerous. Seek medical help.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Red face Day 3

last night I couldn't take it anymore so I went to the Urgent care unit. I told my hubby finally and he took me. They gave me a shot phenagan to stop the nausea but it was a tough night. I tossed and turned all night. I than woke up at 3 am and took 2 nyquil pills and it finally knocked me out. I was exhausted this morning but no more yawning or goose bumps just a little shaky when I try to hold my hand steady and my voice.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

A little shaky is normal. The shakes will stop, you can start eating again, and you will begin to feel better day by day. Remember to stay well hydrated and good luck.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you feel better soon.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Stop taking cold medicine for sleep. You're being dangerous. Please seek real help via doctor or a real Emergency Room.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello< I really need help! I have no one to talk to. I am on day three of withdraw. Tuesday I took nothing, yesterday I took two 5mg, and today so far nothing and I am in so much pain and anxiety. Is there a better way to do this? Or a way to wean off to avoid withdraw? I am a single mom and have no clue how I am even going to be able to get my son from school today because I am so sick! PLEASSEE HELP!
Old 09-15-2011, 12:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

If my house were on fire, I'd call the fire department, not post on the internet.

The emergency room may help.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello. I am going through percocet withdraw. Today is Friday morning. Monday I took four ten mg, Tuesday I took nothing, we'd two five mg, Thursday I took nothing, now it's Friday and I am still hurting soooo bad. Is there anything I can do. Do you think it would hurt my detox if I took a five mg or ten mg percocet? Please help. I need to get through this
Old 09-16-2011, 05:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScaredNM View Post
I dialed my doctors office three times the first two times I hung up. The last time the closed message came up. I texted my husband and then I chickened out. I just want to get past these next couple of days. I am sure it will be better than. My pride is not allowing me to share my problem with anyone because I am in a very high position at work and very well respected. I just need to know what to expect, what else to do?
Hello. I think the support of some other people is very important. Don't be afraid to share your problem with people you trust. Venting out this problem makes it easier.

In particular, your doctor will not be surprised at all, because addictions are very common. Sure he/she has many patients with this same problem, so the only thing he is going to think is: "Well, another one". It is his job.

I don't know anything about percocet, so I can offer no advise. Take care, please.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Help1981 View Post
Hello. I am going through percocet withdraw. Today is Friday morning. Monday I took four ten mg, Tuesday I took nothing, we'd two five mg, Thursday I took nothing, now it's Friday and I am still hurting soooo bad. Is there anything I can do. Do you think it would hurt my detox if I took a five mg or ten mg percocet? Please help. I need to get through this
Wellcome, Help1981. I don't know anything about percocet, but I strongly suggest to visit your doctor. He can be very helpful, reduce your stress and deal your withdrawal safely. Don't be afraid to talk with your doctor. Addictions are very common, so they are used to see patients with this problem. It is their job.

Anyway, there is a subforum here for substance abuse. Perhaps you can find there some more help:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/

Take care, please.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am laid off from work right now and have no health INS so I can't go to the dr. Buthelezi thank you so kuch