Notices

is anyone here a newbie who still drinks?

Old 09-08-2011, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question is anyone here a newbie who still drinks?

Hi everyone, this is my first shot at reading, listening and possibly finding some answers to my alcoholism...
I have been quite the drinker for years now, the loss of a loved one really sent my life out of spiral and my hubby is my enabler, so to speak.
As per tonite, i will drink for about 5 hours, praying i can sleep......i'd quit in an hour if i could sleep......
i use a sleep aid and without the beers, i'd be up all night for a month......i honestly cannot function at all without sleep.....i get horrible attacks of anxiety.

Well, so far that's my story, for the first time in my life, i got into a bit of trouble with my drinking last month.......and i just hate myself! lol, but i do.
thanks for listening!
Old 09-08-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Sunday and welcome!

There are plenty of people here who are trying to quit and haven't yet. Sleep is probably one of the hardest demons we face in early sobriety. I used it as an excuse not to quit for ages. I won't lie to you...my sleep patterns were a wreck early on. Now, however, I sleep very well.

Stick around, it gets better
Old 09-08-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Hi Sunday and welcome!

There are plenty of people here who are trying to quit and haven't yet. Sleep is probably one of the hardest demons we face in early sobriety. I used it as an excuse not to quit for ages. I won't lie to you...my sleep patterns were a wreck early on. Now, however, I sleep very well.

Stick around, it gets better
I experienced the same. The first several nights were not pretty. But you will get to a point where you sleep well, probably much better, than when you were drinking. And you'll wake up feeling like you slept, not like you got hit by the hangover train!
Old 09-08-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know that stopping drinking is a very scary thought, and I had huge amounts of anxiety too. Please know that you can get through this.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR sunday

I've been sober for 4 years now, but I still vividly remember using alcohol to sleep...only it wasn't really sleep, it was passing out...and I'd wake up wide awake in the wee hours, still tired.

I'd do yourself a favour and speak with your Dr

You'll find a lot of support here - from those struggling and 'old timers' alike - welcome

D
Old 09-08-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Sunday,

I'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time. I have been lurking on SR for a number of months and only became a member last month.

I am still drinking but just checking in here daily has given me support and hope that some day soon, I will be the sober one greeting the newcomers.

My best to you,
Sloane
Old 09-08-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!

Maybe a grief support place can help. We drink to stop feeling. We stop drinking and begin to feel what we numbed. AA helps me deal with everything- anxiety, depression, sadness, resentments, all of it.

Give sobriety a chance. Heal your body & mind!

Best wishes to you.

You aren't alone anymore.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It took a month or two before my sleep got better, but oh do I sleep well now. Nothing like good healthy sleep and waking up feeling good.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

For the first week my sleep sucked! But I was so exhausted after that week that it got normal after a few weeks. You will sleep SO MUCH better when you are sober.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thanks, sounds just like me