Notices

Conflicts in sobriety

Old 09-08-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Conflicts in sobriety

After years of drinking with my friends, I just cant be with them sober. Cant stand it, too many conflicts. I said some things to them a few minutes ago, that it's sole purpose was to hurt them as much as I can with words. I know Im not being a good person doing that, but Im just consumed with anger.

Anyone relate?
Old 09-08-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, I had to make a lot of changes, including people in my life, when I began recovery.

What are you angry about?
Old 09-08-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Well, I had to make a lot of changes, including people in my life, when I began recovery.

What are you angry about?
Looks like I dont even know anymore. Just seen some people's face makes me have an angry reaction

Well I guess I have to change the people in my life too
Old 09-08-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Andre. Early in recovery I was resentful & angry alot of the time. People irritated me for no real reason. Maybe I was jealous they could still drink - not sure. I found I didn't have much in common with most of them, the way I thought I did.

The anxious and irritable feelings did get alot better, and now I'm much calmer & happier. I hope you'll find that to be the case too.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Did you mean you can't be around them when you're sober and they're not? Or that now that you're sober, you can't be around them at all?

If it's when they aren't sober, make plans to do things that don't involve them drinking.

If they trigger anger all the time, perhaps you need to take a break from them for now.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silly View Post
Did you mean you can't be around them when you're sober and they're not? Or that now that you're sober, you can't be around them at all?

If it's when they aren't sober, make plans to do things that don't involve them drinking.

If they trigger anger all the time, perhaps you need to take a break from them for now.
All the time
Old 09-08-2011, 11:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How long have you been sober? I know that in the initial days and weeks of sobriety, the entire world irritated me. I even remember catching myself being rude to my boss! Give yourself a break. Maybe you can avoid them for some period of time and see if your feelings improve.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I find it difficult to be with some of my friends unless I drink. We met through drink and we have drunk together for years in bars, at clubs, concerts and festivals etc. I'm really not that sure we have much in common other than alcohol and a history of booze-related events. They are all heavy drinkers too so I havent even spoken to them about my fears that I have a serious problem as they would probably just tell me to stop being ridiculous.
now i feel like there's a massive void in my life.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

I still see some of my old drinking buddies. However, when they start drinking, usually about 8 PM, I find an excuse to leave. Not because I can't stay sober around them, but simply because I don't enjoy their company when they drink.

As far as seeing my old drinking buddies that drank all day long? That sort of worked itself out. They all died or ended up in prison.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OorWullie View Post
I find it difficult to be with some of my friends unless I drink. We met through drink and we have drunk together for years in bars, at clubs, concerts and festivals etc. I'm really not that sure we have much in common other than alcohol and a history of booze-related events. They are all heavy drinkers too so I havent even spoken to them about my fears that I have a serious problem as they would probably just tell me to stop being ridiculous.
now i feel like there's a massive void in my life.
Totally relate to you!
Old 09-08-2011, 03:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
I still see some of my old drinking buddies. However, when they start drinking, usually about 8 PM, I find an excuse to leave. Not because I can't stay sober around them, but simply because I don't enjoy their company when they drink.

As far as seeing my old drinking buddies that drank all day long? That sort of worked itself out. They all died or ended up in prison.

Ouch
Old 09-08-2011, 03:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I lost all my friends due to alcohol. Really looking forward to meeting new sober friends. At 2 months, people still annoy me. I stay by myself mostly. Strange because I always hated to be alone. Now I would rather.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

By the end of my drinking career, all my friends drank like I did.

When I stopped drinking - either they got angry and nasty with me for not drinking, or I got nasty and resentful at them for drinking...

then there were the guys trying to get me back 'in'...

I needed to break away and make some real changes, Andre.

D
Old 09-08-2011, 10:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Im just thinking that, maybe, just maybe Im wrong.
Im deeply dissatisfied with my whole life, everything that happened over the years and such. Im also deeply jealous of some people. Im trying to make up for lost time working and studying and bossing people arround too much.
Im either drinking all the time and being extremely lazy or Im working/studying like a maniac. Cant seem to ever find any balance
But I cant blame other people also. And Im also thinking maybe life shouldnt be just this game of who gets more succesfull.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Part of my sobriety has been learning how to be still and be ok with being still. I'm not sure the right term for this... but I know what you mean because I kept going between being a raging alcoholic to being a raging sober drunk, working 12 hour days and volunteering on the side.

Now I try to slow myself down and tell myself that it's ok, that life isn't a race, and that being sober isn't about having some kind of new found super power that enables me to conquer the world, being sober is about not drinking.

Best of luck.