Notices

Binging on other things

Old 09-08-2011, 10:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Binging on other things

I hope I am not trading drinking for bad eating habits, but I have found that I need an ice cream "stash" in the freezer and when I eat it, it is sometimes in large amounts. Like I can put away a pint of cookies and cream pretty easily.

I do the same thing with sodas- but I drink coke zeros.

Are we doomed to do everything alcoholically?
Old 09-08-2011, 10:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
I hope I am not trading drinking for bad eating habits, but I have found that I need an ice cream "stash" in the freezer and when I eat it, it is sometimes in large amounts. Like I can put away a pint of cookies and cream pretty easily.

I do the same thing with sodas- but I drink coke zeros.

Are we doomed to do everything alcoholically?
I binged on everything sweet for the first month after I quit. I am going back to normal now. I am 9 pounds heavier but I figure the weight will eventually come off. I am not putting myself through extra stress about weight right now. At least I am still not considered clinically overweight yet.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Me too - sucked on tootsie pops, had to have candy bars. Finally the sugar cravings calmed down - but the ice cream addiction remains.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I binged on alot of stuff but it doesn't ruin other peoples lives like alchohol did, you are not doomed to the same kind eating habits or anything like that, it just takes work.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
orangutan

Ice cream is hard one to get off.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things do settle down, I found - after a year or two in my case

D
Old 09-08-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Oh, thanks for the hope Dee.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There was a period after I quit where my body was screaming for sugar. I could eat a whole package of cookies or a whole tub of ice cream and my body still wanted more.

It only lasted a few weeks though. I think it'll pass for you too.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

I didn't eat much dairy or sweets until I quit. I wear my 10 pounds proudly! I'll exercise soon, um, soon enough...!
Old 09-08-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Me too. Ice cream is a must right now. I was trying to contain diet, as I gained about 15 lbs when I quit in March, but this time, I've just tried to complement healthy foods with the sweets. A new sweet tooth is very common in new sobriety. But, I agree with above, its the lesser of the evils overall.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think I read somewhere on here that your body needs a certain amount of sugar every day and that alcohol contains a lot. So when you quit drinking your body starts wondering "what happened to all the sugar?"

That makes sense to me because I never really liked or wanted dessert when I was a drinker but now I rarely turn it down.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i ate sooooo much ice cream in the first 2 months! ive just passed the 3 month mark and i've gotten much better. your body craves the sugar when you stop drinking. i would eat TWO pints sometimes, lol.. ice cream is just my weakness. edys maxx choc chip cookie dough.. i ate it literally almost every day at first. im still in love with ice cream, at a baseball game with the bf's fam on sat i had gelato w 2 flavors and then a huge ice cream cone also 2 flavors lol. i just think ice cream will always be my biggest weakness.. but now that things are back to a more "normal" way of life for me the longer i stay sober, i'm also getting back to the gym regularly and improving my eating habits.

ooh ooh, also! my parents had a labor day cookout and there's a bunch of cupcakes left over.. ive been home since mon night, and i've only eaten 2! pretty big feat for me, lol. today i discovered a delicious cake in the downstairs fridge - thin yellow layers with cool whip in between and the most creamy icing and pineapples, blueberries, and strawberries on top. i also had a small piece and stopped myself! i will say i'm very proud! but going to the gym today and yesterday help with that too because i don't want to be canceling it out.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i just posted a thread with a similar question ...

for me it's craving of caffeine (which i've always hated) that came out of nowhere...
Old 09-08-2011, 05:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I just passed the three month mark and ice cream is still my thing!!!

I found these new chocolate bars called Magnum. Mmmmmmm.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was big on the sweets and carbs in the very beginning too. At 6 months I had tapered off quite a bit but the last week or two I've been binging on sweets and junkfood quite a bit more. I've also noticed cravings for alcohol a bit again as my blood sugar is getting all out of wack.

The last two days I've been back to eating well and getting exercise and the cravings have gone away too.

One nutricionist said L-Glutamine (amino acid) is really good for making dopamine and also helps curb the craving for sweets. I haven't tried it but it might be something to look into. I've heard many say it works quite well. (Discuss with your doctor first)