Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

September 8 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 09-08-2011, 12:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

September 8 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

We who have chosen our life partners from the ranks of alcoholics often feel our lives are especially difficult and complicated. And they often are. We come to believe, quite mistakenly, that we’re the only people in the world with real trouble! Let us recognize that the alcoholic – insecure, lonely, and often too sensitive to life’s realities – usually has many endearing qualities to be grateful for. Indeed, many of us wouldn’t want to exchange him for a less interesting, if more dependable, partner.

Yet matters may have reached the point of desperation and we are completely hopeless. What to do?

TODAY’S REMINDER

In Al-Anon, I discover, in myself, the power to throw new light on a seemingly hopeless situation. I learn I must use this power, not to change the alcoholic over whom I am powerless, but to overcome my own distorted ideas and attitudes. If I can bring sunshine into our home, it cannot fail to affect those in it.

“Help me to use the gifts You have given me. I want to use them to help others through making my own world better and brighter.”