Notices

Anxiety Troubles?

Old 09-07-2011, 10:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety Troubles?

Can anyone recommend some helpful advice for dealing with anxiety?
Over the years I have tried to self-medicate my own anxiety and stress issues by drinking - social anxiety, nervousness, frustration, irritability.
By not drinking, I have a hard time dealing with the anxiety sometimes.
Cigarettes help, but I would like to quit those as well since they are gross and bad for you.
I exercise but don't always have the time.
Even work is hard to focus on sometimes.
Social anxiety has been a big issue for me - like I don't know how to act in social situations sometimes unless I've had a few (or a few too many) drinks.
It will take time, but I'd like to feel comfortable in my own skin and not like I don't what to do, say or how to act.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!

I find that, for me, working the program of AA helps me to deal with my anxiety. Along with SR (this site).
Old 09-07-2011, 11:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, Stavros: I feel your pain because I also suffer with anxiety, but I also know that in my case the drinking causes it. To counteract the excessive sedation caused by alcohol, your body downregulates the naturally occurring "calming" chemicals and ups the excitory ones, namely adrenaline and norepinephrine (I think). So when you take away the alcohol, you're left with overstimulation that, for me, manifests as irritability, jumpiness and that lovely generalized anxious and fearful feeling. The good news is that as my brain chemistry re-balances as long as I stay away from alcohol, these feelings gradually go away. The bad news is the "gradually" part -- it can take days, and the overwhelming desire (for me) is to drink to alleviate the withdrawal. I'd say that if you still feel jumpy and anxious even after several days of abstinence, you should see a doctor and ask about meds. This is a long-winded way of saying that for many years I thought I suffered from generalized anxiety disorder but it was actually the alcohol.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I have had periods of horrible, debilitating anxiety, so I understand how hard it is to deal with. I find it about the hardest thing of all.

Some things that have really helped me are

finding a program that I feel confident in, that provides a framework for me to address life issues. I feel like something "has my back", That I am not alone with my overwhelming feelings.

Going to bed on time. I have this nightly window of opportunity when I feel sleepy, if I push past that, then BOOM, i am a wake and the anxiety starts creeping in. If I discipline myself to go to sleep when that first wave of sleepy feelings come I avoid disaster.

Watch my diet. People had different trigger foods, that either rile up their nervous systems, mess with their digestive systems or interfere with sleep. If I am up with gas pains, I am not sleeping, if I am ramped on caffeine, my thoughts race. Too much sugar makes me feel hungover. Eating a big meal close to bed time gives me nightmares. Watch to see if you have any food related issues.

Watch what mental stimuli you put in, as in what you are reading, watching on TV, etc. I stopped watching the news and reading the newspaper. It was literally driving me out of my mind. Reading murder mysteries before bed...wasn't doing me any favors. Or getting involved in a super juicy romance novel, so I pushed past my window of sleepy opportunity, was just not smart.

Meditating. Some people find it relaxing, and if nothing else, it might just bore the heck out of you. I prefer walking meditations during the daytime, but before bedtime I will light a candle, do some big old sighs, and just be for awhile. Allow myself to feel ok, acknowledging that right at that moment, things are ok, there is nothing imminently trying to kill me. And right now I don't have to solve the problems of the world, or even my little corner of it.

Non narcotic meds. Talk to a dr, let them know you have addiction issues.

A pet, plant, blog etc that needs regular tending to. I find that doable satisfying block of responsibility/accountability to be very relaxing and rewarding. When I get out of my head for a little while and tend to something else, I loosen up inside, and I remember how it feels to not be anxious. I talk to my pets and plants, I find that helpful too.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Stavros. I have terrible, frightful social anxiety. It's totally situational for me; I feel just fine as long as I'm by myself or in a very small group of people I already know fairly well. Social occasions are a form of torture for me. I struggle to put sentences together, I sweat, and I feel really uncomfortable. I'm just not good at socializing.

The only advice I have is absolutely terrible, but it's less harmful than getting drunk. I hover around the nearest food table, eat whatever finger foods they have, and clutch onto that Pepsi can like it's a life raft. If I can come up with an excuse to get out of a party, I'll do it. Not everyone enjoys purely social events. I think a lot of people put pressure on themselves to be a lot more extroverted than they actually are. I don't think introversion is such a bad thing, but it's very easy to feel less socially acceptable than your more gregarious counterparts. It definitely makes for some interesting problems when you're stuck at a party with no excuse to leave. I still don't know how to cope with those kinds of events. Since I don't particularly enjoy them, I try not to stay too long (or better yet, not even go in the first place.)
Old 09-07-2011, 04:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi stavros

I've suffered from anxiety all my life - several things help me - I exercise, I do some deep breathing exercises, and I try to meditate as often as my life allows.

All these things take time, and I believe they need to be done regularly - but I try to make time because they're important.

I also found some work with a counsellor on some long standing issues helped me too

I'm never going to be the outgoing confident guy in the crowd or the life of the party...but I am comfortable with who I am now, and thats a great thing.

It took me some time and effort to get here, but I've never been less anxious in my life than I am now

best of luck Stavros

D
Old 09-07-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Stavros, I suffer from anxiety too. I have generalized anxiety disorder and my husband has social anxiety. I've always been a "worrier" and could work myself up into a tizzy about dumb things that weren't really the end of the world but I felt like they were (a faux pas at work, a late bill, etc), but about 6 weeks after I got sober my anxiety ramped up to the max. Constantly panicky, worried, unable to sleep (and I've never had insomnia before - maybe lie awake worrying for half an hour but never 5 hours like this was!) Anyway, I went to a psychiatrist and he immediately pinpointed that I was using alcohol to self medicate my anxiety, and getting sober unfortunately triggered this slowly escalating constant panic attack. He put me on Cymbalta and a temporary dose of Ambien so I could get the sleep I need (I was worried about getting hooked on it but I've only taken 6 tablets in two weeks and it's been 4 days since the last one.)

My anxiety has gotten a lot better. I'm not perfect yet but it's nice to no longer feel like the sky is constantly falling. So maybe a psych evaluation might be a good idea for you too. I could not have gotten over this without medication. My husband could not have either - he started getting counseling and seeing a psychiatrist four months ago and the change has been amazing. He was miserable just going out to the grocery store before, but it's like he's comfortable in his own skin now. He's more relaxed and I can't believe that today HE suggested we go visit MY grandparents and stay overnight - that was something he loathed and dreaded before getting help, but he actually not only wanted to do it but was the one to suggest it!

Anyway, consider that. There is also a great book called the Anxiety and Phobia Workbook that he purchased for us this week. He had been reading it and doing some of the breathing exercises in it when he would have breakthrough moments of anxiety at work (he works in a bookstore) and it really helped him, so he wanted to share it with me. I haven't gotten very far in it (it's huge and to be totally honest, induced some feelings of anxiety in me that it was too much information to take in, lol!) But I have already read some very helpful suggestions.

As for social situations without alcohol - yeah, it's tough when you've gotten used to navigating parties buzzed. Being sober feels harsh and weird. Honestly, the best thing to do right now is to avoid social situations with alcohol. Seek out other functions that won't have the temptation. And I know that the social anxiety makes even always sober functions hard, but I've always focused on trying to be a good listener when I'm too nervous to talk. People really do appreciate a good listener.

Hope that helps!
Old 09-07-2011, 08:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mindfulness has helped me a lot.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
where the light is

AA, counselling, anti-depressants (they relieve anxiety) worked great for me. Totally confident, super comfortable in my own skin. Took some time but was so worth it.