Notices

Hello from south of the border

Old 09-07-2011, 04:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello from south of the border

First let me congratulate every member of this awesome site.
I am a 36 yo male, I live in Puebla Mexico where social drinking its out of hand in almost every respect.
I don't think I am an alcoholic , I don't mind the "TAG" its just that I never craved a drink in my life, The problem is that I binge drink once or twice a month and I really don't like it when it gets out of control, I can one or two have a beers or rum/coke with no problems ALMOST all the time at party's etc... but there are times, especially if I drink before eating, or I am feeling down, that it gets to 10 or 20.... and you know the rest.
So I HAVE A PROBLEM with alcohol, not trying to sugar coat it.
I own a big company here, so I don't have work,money or driving problems ( I have a driver ), but it's sometimes the pressure from the responsibilities is what I think drives me to get hammered sometimes, along with some family issues ( my brother/business partner is a full blown alcoholic, he has been to rehab twice but has no intention on quitting now, he drives me nuts,it runs in the family). My drinking has been this way since I was 19 yo, but I am thinking of giving it up complete, It's scary when you think you are not going to be able to play with one of your favorite toys anymore, anyway thats what I think of alcohol is for me. I have gone many times a couple of months with out drinking, like when I want to lose weight and diet with no problems, so It's not that hard for me physically, phsicologicly....thats very diferent...
My advice to everybody here, get a hobby and buy a dog, especially if you live alone...that with some exercise makes all the difference, at least for me works wonders.
I have never abuse drugs or meds, but I do take half 1mg ativan every night almost all days for the last 5 or 6 years, It's wrong but I guess stress and sleep deprivation is almost as harmful.
I always try to see some good in bad things, so let me tell you that one of the very few positives things that drinking has left me, To find that there are still very good people in the world like in this site, and learning to lose, nobody knows how to be humble in defeat more than we the persons who abuse alcohol.
Anyway thx for reading, this is my first post, and I want all of you to know that I am here for you.
Keep it up everybody !!! don't let your guard down !!!
Old 09-07-2011, 04:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yea its better off quitting now that your ahead instead of getting worst over time. I wont you saw a doctor about the ativan because those drugs are something you should not mess without a doctor knowing about it.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello there and WELCOME

While I was reading this I was reminded of the times I drank way too much and was falling down out of control. I was a teenager then. I had maybe 5 episodes of that. Then I had a couple more in my twenties. I didn't start drinking regularly until after I was 30. So even though I didn't start until a bit later I consider my very first drink 20 years the beginning of my alcoholism. I've learned that you don't become an alcoholic overnight. Alcoholism is a progressive dis ease. It just crept up on me. When did I start needing a drink? Had I simply given up alcohol and its tell tale signs of destruction I could have saved myself several years of bad memories and heartache. If you think you have a problem with alcohol you probably do. Be grateful that you recognized it. Please stay on SR. Read and post to your heart's content. There is so much knowledge and support here. We all want you to succeed in your sobriety.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!!

I think one of the most deceiving things about alcohol is that by the time a person can REALLY be sure they have a problem or when it REALLY starts affecting their life, usually it's too late and the addiction is very strong. It's so easy in the early years to be in denial about whether or not it's problomatic. I drank heavily for 6 years (usually nightly) but still didn't have much for withdrawl symptoms. No shaking...no vomiting... nothing. It wasn't affecting my life in a major way (no DUIs, no job loss, still have my house, my family, etc.) It was soooo easy to convince myself that I didn't have a problem. Even now that I'm 3 months sober, it still crosses my mind every now and then that maybe I wasn't an alcoholic. Maybe I could have just one or two drinks. Of course then I remember the times when I would get drunk and how I behaved to my husband and how I felt the next day. I also always think of all of the posts on this site that come from people thinking they could do just that (have one or two) and then slid down that slippery slope. Cutting alcohol out never hurt anyone... as far as I'm concerned, problem or no problem, abstaining can only improve someone's life. Good luck!
Old 09-07-2011, 07:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!
Old 09-07-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi NightKnight and welcome to the forum!

It's a really positive thing that you're looking at your drinking honestly, especially since alcoholism runs in your family.

The first clue for me was when I tried to limit my drinking and found that I couldn't. If you find yourself wanting to drink more (or more often) over time, or can't control your intake, you may be like those of us here who simply can't drink safely.

I'm sorry your brother is suffering.... I hope he can find recovery in the future. Thanks for posting!