Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Has anyone heard of, or have thoughts on, the treatment center "Sierra Tuscon?"

Notices

Old 09-05-2011, 04:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This place was recommended to me when I was in treatment in 2008 but I was of no mind to hear it. From their website, I cannot tell if it's truly a comprehensive and helpful program, or a high-priced waste of money. I am reconsidering it and any feedback would be really helpful.

It would be a very difficult time away from my daughter and husband as well as a huge financial investment for us. But I do have co-occurring psych and other issues for which I have sought help in the past, but find myself in the same place.

Thank you for any feedback.

Sloane
Old 09-05-2011, 04:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Never been to rehab, so I can't help I'm afraid.
Maybe others will

I'd call them - speak to someone - get a better idea of what's on offer maybe?

D
Old 09-05-2011, 04:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I've never been to rehab either.

Dee's suggestion to call them and ask questions would be a good place to start.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

I've been to one rehab and it really helped. Because I am a mom, I knew it was imperative to stop messing around and get some help posthaste and work my butt off so I went to inpatient for 30 days. It was a great start to my recovery; well worth every cent and every minute I spent away from my family. Of course, I still work on my recovery every day but I am so grateful for the jumpstart I got.

I've not been to AZ but that facility looks pretty good from the website. Best of luck finding some place that will work for you (and where you will work for your recovery). Dee's suggestion is good. Call and ask questions. You can also ask for a tour of the facility.

Much love.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

You don't need to pay a lot for a good rehab. Just saying. I've attended expensive and free. In my experience, free was more helpful. I'd find a rehab specializing in your primary addiction. Best wishes to staying stopped!
Old 09-05-2011, 05:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

very expensive. back when i was there, they accepted insurance but I'm not sure if they do anymore. i am an alumni, but was not there for alcoholism. however, they did treat my issues with the 12 step program.

i have been sober for 18 days. i am now a member of AA and while it just didn't click back when i was in rehab at ST, the tools i learned at ST are now Finally Finally Finally Finally coming in handy, because i can access them, now that i am working the program.

while i was in ST almost 10 years ago, I am just now finding my sobriety, and coming to realize a power greater than myself can and will restore my sanity. I am more grateful today for my experiences there than ever before. I recently pulled out my notebook to finally face that which i could not face then.

In fact, the staff always did tell me that when i needed ST in my mind, it would be there. and it is.

if you can afford it or if they are still taking insurance, I can tell you that while it took 10 years to click, it may have actually been the second greatest thing i've ever done for myself, the first being sobriety (18 days ago)

I've been wondering where other ST alumni are, and am not yet at the point where I want to find them. Two of my friends died within a year after leaving Sierra Tucson. One was sober, but she was innocently hit by a car while riding her bike. The other od'd on heroin within weeks of graduation.

I'm here. I feel like a miracle today. I am grateful for you Sierra Tucson. If you are reading this, thank you always.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you, everyone. It's helpful to hear that there are many paths to sobriety.

Oceansize, thank you for sharing your first-hand knowledge and experience, and helping me to see that no one place is a panacea. Congratulations on 18 days!

Sloane
Old 09-06-2011, 05:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Sloane, that "one place" is inside of you!

You can stay stopped!