The taxi service isn't running...

Old 09-05-2011, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The taxi service isn't running...

AD called two night ago, sick, which is nothing new. She has chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, yet smokes like a chimney, is morbidly obese, has elevated liver enzymes per her last labs, and is addicted to Dr. Pepper which she drinks in copious amounts. She's lost most of her teeth due to meth mouth and the sugar.

She was headed to the local ER and I told her to just keep me posted on what happened. Yesterday she called and they prescribed antibiotics.

Well at 10 last night she texts that ER is a joke there, and wants me to drive her to Wellington to their ER. It's 35 miles to where she lives, another 35 miles to Wellington from there.

I said no.

Boy did that set off a barrage of texts from her about no one helping, and now she can't even count on family.

I turned my cellphone off.

She's made the choice to do nothing with her life except destroy her health, sucking off the government.

I sat there thinking how even with my disabilities I am working, I strive each day to be a better person, and that I am nothing but a last resort for her when she needs something.

Too bad. She made her bed...she can sleep in it.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yeah, it sucks, but they're going to do whatever they're going to do. Good on ya for sticking to your guns. Maybe one day she'll figure out that you're just not playing the game anymore.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Yeah, it sucks, but they're going to do whatever they're going to do. Good on ya for sticking to your guns. Maybe one day she'll figure out that you're just not playing the game anymore.
I was actually surprised that she gave it a go at trying to guilt-trip me. I've been consistent in my "no's" for years now!
Old 09-05-2011, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You're not alone....my own daughter kept making the same mistakes over and over again....at first I helped, gave her 6K I could not afford to, gave her as much support as I could and tried to step back from her fledgling "adulthood"....

then she developed some sense of "entitlement" like I should jump every time she snapped her fingers. I reached my saturation point. I told her she was "off my payroll"...2 years went by and i rec'd a call from Austin, Tx where she moved and she asked me for planefare for both her and BF to fly home because her father/myX died. I told her I would give her some spending $$ when she came here but i could not put $1200. of airline tix on my credit card...(her father and I divorced 23 years prior and his family has many more $$ than me, her grandmother would have given it if needed, but she was too embarrased to ask). I haven't seen my daughter since my mom passed this May...but she is much more civil and humble, polite. I have hope, but still have to bite my tongue to offer to help her.

I hope your daughter decides to save her health. but you can't do it for her either.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
then she developed some sense of "entitlement" like I should jump every time she snapped her fingers.
I went through that with AD, and she still feels like the world owes her something.

She was raised in a single parent home where I worked hard to put food on the table, so I don't know where that sense of entitlement came from other than being a part of her addictions!
Old 09-05-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is recovery......YEAH.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

me neither, there were times when I did not make a lot of $$ and she watched me work 7 days a week...( i used to waitress/bartend on the weekends while my mother babysat)
Old 09-05-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've had it today also, 'I'm trying to stop smoking, everybody knows you don't give me any support' 'The doctor knows what you're like' etc etc.
Time for a really big wake up R, guess what-I'm all out of support-you exhausted all my resources a while back. Get a life! It's not the smoking it's the drinking.