Notices

Hello

Old 09-04-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I want to say I have been reading the posts and have the greatest respect for all you guys.

Um... I would like to stop drinking, but not sure I am an alcoholic. I almost wish I could say I am an alcoholic, then I could maybe go to AA or something, and not have to do this on my own. Honestly I don't think I drink enough to be an alcoholic. I drink most days, about 15 drinks a week, usually not more than 4 a night, sometimes less. Have only ever drunk enough to black out once. Have missed work because of that one time, have taken shots while driving. Have driven "drunk" or at least intoxicated many times. Have done stupid things I regret while drinking, have had health issues worsened by drinking. But, I am young (23). Maybe my level of drinking is normal for someone "young and stupid" like me. I have actually been to an AA meeting and it was wonderful, but again, if I'm not really an alcoholic.... I don't belong there.

I've kind of tried to quit, but always started up again....but that's because I don't see a reason for quitting if I'm not an alcoholic. What it wrong with drinking moderately if I'm not an alcoholic? Still, it bothers me that I have never gone more than a few days without drinking in the past year.

So I kind of feel like I need to do this alone. Like I have to quit/moderate my drinking alone. But, I wish I didn't have to moderate it. I wish I had a reason to completely quit and stay quit, but my dilemma is, unless I am an alcoholic, there is no reason for me to completely quit.

So I am just very, very confused and tired of all this, and hope that some kind folks on this forum will lend some insight. Thanks for reading!
Old 09-04-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Confuzd -

It seems that we all have an image of what an alcoholic is, but the truth is that there are stages of alcoholism. When I was in my 20's, I never suspected I might have a problem (only drank once a week when out with friends), but looking back I can see now that I wasn't a social drinker either. Once I had the first drink, I wanted another and then another.

Slowly over time, I started looking forward more and more to the next time I could drink. I drank a little more, a little more often, had a few at home......and it grew from there. I still didn't realize it was a problem until I decided to cut back and found that I couldn't.

It's never to early to take an honest look at the part that alcohol plays in your life. Most people here wish they had done so sooner.

Glad you've joined us!
Old 09-04-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A rose by any other name...if your drinking has caused you problems and you've stopped and gone back to it, if you've been comforted by AA and reading on SR, what do you need to become a card carrying alcoholic? You can keep drinking and increase your drinking and cause yourself personal, family, social, legal problems or you can decide to quit without having to qualify for a label. If you don't have problems and are comfortable with your drinking and in control of your drinking, good for you. Me I was and then I wasn't. I'm at peace with my choice of a sober lifestyle, I hope you will be with whatever you choose. My best to you.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you artsoul and MycoolFitz. I am not at peace, not with drinking, not with the rest of my life. I think I will go to another AA meeting this week. At least going to a meeting can't hurt me or anyone else.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Good decision to go to a meeting. AA states that the only requirement for membership is "a desire to quit drinking." And you're right, it can't hurt.....
Old 09-04-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi confuzd
Great advice here - and a great decision by you

glad to have you with us - welcome!
D
Old 09-04-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi confuzd! I'm glad you joined SR. Please keep talking to us - we care about you.

I was like artsoul - started in my 20's, but there was no such thing as 'one' drink. At the end of my drinking career I was drinking all day long, totally numb & in a fog. My drinking habits were unpredictable - once I took that first sip I never knew what would happen, or where I'd end up. It sounds like drinking is becoming dangerous for you at times. Remember, it isn't how much or how often we drink - but what happens to us when we do.

I understand the being young part. That's why I kept going for decades, always trying to control it so I didn't have to give it up completely. It led to a nightmare for me. I'm glad you're questioning your drinking habits now. We're glad you're here.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

welcome to our recovery community.....

My AA group has members rangeing from mid teens to Grandparents.
We are all there for the same reason....learning how to live without alcohol
and enjoy a sober productive future...

Glad you found us...please keep posting