Methadone treatment...

Old 09-04-2011, 01:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Methadone treatment...

My 21 yr old AS started methadone treatment 20 days ago... He started at 30mg and every 3 days they increase it 5mg. He seemed fine for the first week or so...Now he goes to the methadone clinic and then comes into work really high... So he is able to still shoot H while on methadone? Really? I know he still smokes A LOT of pot...is that making him really high? And he sleeps a lot lately too? Anyone have any experiences with or on methadone?
Old 09-04-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My RAD was on methadone briefly and declined dosage increases. She was getting high on the initial 30mg though it would wear off in about an hour or so. When she requested a lower dose, they balked and she switched to subs. Balked is an understatement, by the way. They laughed and I saw/heard it with my own two eyes and ears.

Regardless, your son is still chasing a high with pot. He's not done yet.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I have no idea.

No matter what he is using the bottom line is the same, he is in full blown addiction, and, you and your husband keep enabling him. You are not helping him one little bit, in fact, you are part of the problem. Without your enabling, he would have to face the consequences of his actions.

To me, you and your hubby are well intentioned enablers, who truly do not understand addiction, and the possibility, that your enabling may just end up killing him.

Have you been going to meetings? If not, I would again suggest that you do.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
TMZ

Yes I have some experience with the situation. I know that when on MMT tot methadone now contains an opiate blocker, so they can't get higher with H so they tend to use other drugs to keep them high. If they fail a drug test at the clinic the cut there dose by 50%.

Methadone stays in the system for three days and it can kill him if he does use H. They will sleep, or dose out when they increase the dose for a week or two. That is common. But they also monitor it and also decrease some times. As for using other drugs it is against the rules and they get punished for doing so, by decreasing the dose.

My son would be high for about 3 or 4 hours after , then dose out for a few hours.
If you can you might try to contact the clinic and inform the counselor of the other drugs. but really not much else you can do.