Notices

Day 17- major triggers

Old 09-03-2011, 07:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 17- major triggers

Well its Saturday night, 3 hours ago I finally finished my subjects for this semester. I am studying post-grad degree by distance. The units I have been taking are complicated, but no problem if one keeps on top of the reading.

The reason I had to cram like crazy for the last three weeks to get the work done was because of my drinking binges in the last eight weeks.

If I did not come onto this forum 17 days ago and quit drinking and join AA I am certain I would not have competed my work. I was able to study like mad, and with some understanding from teachers , finish it.

Truth is. As soon as it sank in that I had dug myself out of a major hole. I was overwhelmed with the desire to celebrate with a beer. A drunk friend of mine just called me , hes gotta bottle of whiskey !

For the first time in this sobriety thing I felt the strong desire to drink and I am JEALOUS of my mate and his whiskey!.

Anyway, I took my memory back to the day I came to this forum, and the reasons why I quit. I brought back some of the memories and the pain into view and I dont want to drink any more.

Oh man.. though ...that was the biggest trigger I have had. It was so strong. I would have relapsed if there was beer at my house or if I might came around.

Anyway, a little rattled, totally relieved and still sober
phew!
Old 09-03-2011, 07:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That which doesn't drink us only keeps us sober. You recognized the trigger, experienced and let it go. Strong, mature response. You passed this test.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good job quickbeam!! Keep up the good work, it's an inspiration to the rest of us newbies!
Old 09-03-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nice job. Just remember it was your first one but it wont be your last. Keep up the good work.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi quickbeam - I had a very similar craving after completing a big job when I was first sober. Any kind of emotion had always been a good reason to drink. I'm so glad you got through it.

Last year I went through lots of "firsts":
First weekend
First time I accomplished something sober
First football game
First July 4th party
First dinner where others were drinking
First time alone
First Christmas/Holiday season
First wedding
etc. etc........

(Thank God they didn't all happen at once!) The good thing is that once I got through something the first time, I lost the fear of doing it again. So just remember it's a process and the cravings won't always be as strong as they are now.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good Job QB!

There is a woman at work that makes me NUTS! She is really a horrible person at times. At the end of the day Thursday we got into it and my brain immediately screamed for me to grab some wine on the way home as I have always done in the past. Something in my head said "You know what, she is not worth screwing up almost two weeks of sobriety." So, to spite her, I didn't drink. (Way to show her, right? lol) Anyway, my point is, you are a few days ahead of me, and I feel like we are at that place where the old tendencies and voices are calling to us, but we are sober enough to know there is a better way. Kwim? Be well!!!

Carla
Old 09-03-2011, 10:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

"Anyway, I took my memory back to the day I came to this forum, and the reasons why I quit. I brought back some of the memories and the pain into view and I dont want to drink any more."

That's wonderful, QB. If you don't remember your last drink, you probably haven't had it yet. I remember my last drink and why I sobered up too. My sobriety date is Nov. 27, 1988. Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Nice job! You should be very proud of the fact you were able to recognize the craving and take the appropriate action.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

great stuff QB - drinking really is no reward

D