drunk driving "accident"? Dead too young.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

drunk driving "accident"? Dead too young.

I briefly met a man one morning last week and sent him on his way. He was obviously drunk, but sadly I often hear about locals who drive drunk. I must have gotten numb to that, even though it makes me cringe and I'm usually very outspoken against it. I heard about the wreck the next day, but didn't figure out it was him until the day after that. Dead, just an hour or so after I saw him.

He wanted to go hunting and had his dog with him. I gave him the name of someone to call (if he remembered), but I didn't want him around our place. I thought about calling the police to report him driving, but didn't know if they'd be able to find him or do anything. In retrospect, I should have talked to him as a person who needed help, even if he didn't want it. I should have tried taking his keys out of his truck and then called the police, if needed. I should have done something instead of sending him away. If I would have said something about him having been drinking, I'm sure he would have denied it. With certain people, taking keys could be dangerous, but I doubt that would have been the case here. Not having anyone else around made me wary though. Now I realize that to do SOMETHING is much better than not having done anything at all.

This man's family and friends are mourning his loss today, and probably drinking to his memory. They're calling it a tragic accident. To all of us, all I can say is please don't get numb. Get educated, get help. Speaking up is hard, but keep working on it!!

Ironically, there was a vehicle in front of mine yesterday that was driving a bit slow with occasional weaving. I didn't have a cell phone with me, but found a place to stop and call it in. Then I saw him pulled off at the side of the road and possibly sleeping. I don't know if he was drunk or had a medical problem, but from now on I'm calling these in.

Alcoholism is progressive and it never just disappears on its own.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

And yes... if it were my drunk DH I do want him called out by others. Silence and ignoring the problem doesn't help anyone.

As I was talking with this man, all I was thinking of was how sad it was for him to be standing there drunk so early in the day (although any time of day makes no difference), and how many people have talked with my DH when he was also visibly drunk and made no comment on it? ....and I didn't do a thing to stop him. Now, thanks to the obituary, I know where he worked, who loved him and who worried about him during his too-short life.

There have been some improvements with my DH, but he has a long road ahead. Seven Weeks to Sobriety... but a long haul before that and ongoing recovery afterwards.

Still.... Keeping the Faith.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for the reminder of how quickly this can turn deadly...