Notices

Battle stations (long weekend ahead)

Old 09-02-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Battle stations (long weekend ahead)

It's Labour Day on Monday, September 5 up here in Canada - I believe it's Labour Day in the U.S., as well, isn't it.

Long weekends were a prime time for me to have one of my INfamous "Meltdowns", blood swirling CONSTANTLY through my alcohol, er, bloodstream.

I have lots of meetings, and visits to AA friends, lined up.

Everyone else got a plan?

I wish the entire community of SR a safe, and sober, weekend.

K out
Old 09-02-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I'm going to be spending labor day with the family, no booze, just maybe some burgers.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Great idea to have a plan!

I don't have a ton planned ..... I hate planning stuff! .... but I am going to hang out with my sister and her family. I get to play with her adorable little girls. They are 6 and 4 and it works out perfect because my attention span is very similar.

I'll probably eat way too much food too. My sis is a great cook and with this little bebe inside me I'm insanely hungry!

Have a wonderful, safe, sober weekend!!
Old 09-02-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kelly,

It's going to hot and humid in Eastern Canada, so I'm not planning too much. I will be spending some quality time with kids and grandkids and doing some cooking, but nothing too strenuous. And, of course, I will be out walking, as usual.

I wish everyone a very safe and enjoyable holiday weekend.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just got back last weekend from almost 3 weeks of back country camping all over BC with family and friends and am looking forward to this nice long weekend to just unwind and relax.

A good time to sit around and practice some new licks I have been working on my guitar.

Love having a slow long weekend
Old 09-02-2011, 12:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Dinner with sponsor, big book meeting with awesome lead person with almost 40 years sobriety, meetings with cleaning house Saturday, tubing on Sunday, round the clock meetings Monday at an aa club & bbq....
Old 09-02-2011, 02:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes I have a plan to stay sober this Holiday weekend. Life goes better when you have a plan.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

no holidays here - but I wish everyone a happy safe and sober weekend

D
Old 09-02-2011, 03:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good thoughts, Kelly - thank you. I don't have anything much planned, but will definitely be keeping myself busy & not fall into a self pity mode. I know I'm not missing a thing by not getting sloshed.

Have a great time - whatever you end up doing. I'm so glad we won't have horrible hangovers come Tuesday.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It is a long weekend and everyone here just got their Social Security checks- today I knew I was not strong enough to even be near temptation- I stepped on the gas and flew by the bar, did NOT want to stop or even be near that.

I fled the vicinity...
Old 09-02-2011, 04:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Beating this demon for GOOD

what a great topic!!!

Well my daughter is with her dad until Sunday afternoon, BUT I have plans set out for the weekend for sure. Taking the night off tonight, have a ton of borrowed library DVDs some older, some I have never seen, picked up some pre-cooked turkey, taters, squash, stuffing, etc. for dinner. And I bought a twelve pack of Diet Pepsi Cherry and it is wonderful!!! Didn't even go near the liquor or wine aisles (went to the local market).

Tomorrow, am hitting two meetings, one morning speaker's meeting then one at night. For both I will be going with my neighbor, who cannot drive for a few more weeks.

Sunday will be a laundry day and cleaning my condo and of course, a meeting!!!

Monday my daughter and I will hit a local arcade for video games and pizza (and to walk along the shore of the beautiful ocean).

I am not going anywhere near a bbq or any type of "celebration" that will include or involve drinking, so the annual Italian Feast is OUT this weekend!!
Old 09-02-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i'm with family in another city, still sober (16 days!) and figuring out how to escape for a meeting tomorrow. we return home on sunday but my flight lands long after a sunday meeting so my plan is to go directly to the monday morning meeting.

i miss my sponsor but we are keeping in touch with voicemails. I'm trying to remember my "i love you and i forgive you" exercise - it's different in hotel rooms.

I have noticed every single moment that i want to drink, or that i might drink in any other mental circumstance.

but i have not had a drink. and oddly notice myself holding my head high when i think about it. I've not prayed enough, but am so grateful to come to SR and find a thread about the holiday week.

I've been reading stories in the big book, and tore through the grapevine on the plane. must subscribe....

I have spent a minimum of one hour on the big book stories every day since arriving here (2 days ago, long holiday weekend).

the above description of how i've been surviving the last few days is how i plan to get through it: reading the big book, getting to one meeting, calling my sponsor, and trying to hop on SR when i'm back in the hotel room at night.