Notices

Hi all! A newbe from Norway...

Old 09-02-2011, 03:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi all! A newbe from Norway...

Hi! I have been lurking here for a few days now. In the absence of a similar forum in Norway, I hope you don`t mind me mingling.
I have been sober for 11 days now, after drinking almost every day the last 20 years. I have had a few dry periods, but always ended up with daily consumption of a few bottles of wine (my weak spot).

Never liked the feeling of getting drunk, but never the less- I am as good alcoholic as anyone.

The turning point this time, was that I could not cope with work anymore. I haven`t been able to work since february, due to anxiety. So I began to drink more, since I had the opportunity, and to "kill" the anxiety. A few weeks ago, I integrated the assumption that my anxiety was caused by my drinking, and realized that I had to sober up to manage to work again.

My wife (who was my best drinking buddy), understands and supports, and has reduced her consumption radically. I am not sure that she fully understands that I am totally sober, and that I will not cope with so called social drinking either. I will find that out in a few days at my birthday party....

One of my "carrots", is the money I save. I figured out that I have spent aproximately $ 10 000 a year on wine the last 10 years!!! The prices on alcohol here in Norway is high, but obviously not high enough for me.

All in all: Is it possible to get a better reward than more money, a better mental and physical health, and last but certainly not least: Be a better parent!?

Well. Big things can happen with small steps

Take care you all!

zappa
Old 09-02-2011, 03:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!
Old 09-02-2011, 03:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, a much better parent. The difference in my approach to parenting is remarkable since letting go of drunk in me. Sobriety is a gift for all.

WELCOME
Old 09-02-2011, 04:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome Zappa to SR

Originally Posted by Zappa
All in all: Is it possible to get a better reward than more money, a better mental and physical health, and last but certainly not least: Be a better parent!?
Not better, but the best happens from my experience, as I live a life free from active addiction. There comes a clarity, as I have come to know it, that allows me an opportunity to strive for all the things that were far, far out of reach as a constant dopy drunkard.

A better parent compared to what? A zoned out drunk. Of coarse. There will be a great change to undertake. You are here and this is a start. Stick around and let the changes happen...day by day it will get better. Welcome.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Zappa - and no, I don't believe it gets much better than that

D
Old 09-02-2011, 04:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Zappa.....................congrats on your english.
From my experience its very tough to stay sober on your own,you need support.
Have you thought of going to AA,for awhile anyway.
You will find it tough not drinking in the Company of Drinkers.
I kept away from Bars/Parties etc for a few years, I also attended AA.
My wife is not a drinker so that made it much easier for me.
She attends Al Anon and FAA...................because she has her own Issues.

From the ACA experience,which is the fellowship I attend now,we become our Parents,So in actual fact we become one and Marry the Other.
Mabie It does not Happen to everyone ..................but in my experience its true if we want, or can admit to it.
This Program really gets to the bottom of all my Character Traits anyway.
Wishing you all the best.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Beating this demon for GOOD

Welcome!!!! It DOES get better and better!
Old 09-02-2011, 05:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all! I really can feel the warm welcome all the way over here

It is funny, but I was SO proud quitting smoking 15 years ago, but kept on drinking with no special concern. Praised the increased physical capacity during my workouts (jogging, bicycling and long walks).... I see now where my focus should be those days. Retrospective is the only exact science (if you are sober)

I have already a good feeling that I am a more patient parent, and I have fun competing with my kids over the stock of canned coke. My daughter asked me to buy a new schoolbag for her next time I went to buy wine. I proudly answered that I could do that without buying any wine, and went shopping, coming home with a new bag and without wine!

Regarding AA: I have the same thoughts as many of the other newbies here on SR. I would like to do this my own way. I guess you might call me naive, but I believe I have the strength to manage. On the other hand, I have proved many times to my self that I am able to do wrong steps. So I say maybe to AA, and it IS a comfort that they have meetings only 10 minutes walk from my house...
Old 09-02-2011, 05:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on your days sober! It's not an easy thing to walk away from alcohol, so you should be proud of yourself! I agree with the parenting thing-- even in 3 months, my parenting is incredibly different. I take a lot of pride in that, and you should too! Well done and keep it up!
Old 09-02-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome Zappa!

I'm never been to Norway, but I've always wanted to. My family is from Flå originally (like 100 years ago) -- then immigrated to the US

I'm glad you decided to join. You don't have to do AA if you don't want to. I just tried using my own willpower when I first quit and it didn't work too well for me. After several failed attempts I finally found success by working in a 12 step group. Hopefully you will be able to do it without, but if it doesn't work give AA a try and see what you think.

Welcome to SR!
Old 09-02-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

eJoshua:

So you have family in Flå? I can tell you it is one of the most beautiful places in Norway! Only small farms clinging to the steep mountainsides, one of the best rivers for rafting in the summer and amazing skiing in the winter! I recommend you to visit your roots some day

I live in the busy southwest-coast, dreaming of a quiet life with a small farm with a few goats, a couple of dogs..... Flå: Here I come!

Saphira:

I am proud! It is however a strange new thing for me to be proud of my self... It is part of the process I guess. I am soon driving my daughter to a birthday party - Me driving at this time of day on a friday???!!!! Yupp!! I AM PROUD
Old 09-02-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

Blessings to you and your family as youmove into a healthy sober future
Old 09-02-2011, 07:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Welcome, Zappa! Thanks for your post. You will meet a lot of helpful sojourners on the SR road! Congrats on your decision to change your life. You won't be disappointed.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Zappa! I'm glad you found us.

There are a lot of people here using different methods to stay sober, but the common rule in all of the methods is don't drink. That sounds so simple and obvious. Hopefully, it will be that way for you.

Congrats on your eleven days. That is a great accomplishment. Keep going.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you all
This feels like coming home - in a good way that is
Old 09-02-2011, 11:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Zappa,
Your story is so much like mine, including being off work for depression and anxiety issues. My sober date is almost the same as yours (10 days today), but the change in my outlook and mood is remarkable. In fact, I will be back at work on Tuesday, and I am looking forward now to something that used to fill me with dread and worry.

I attend AA meetings, but more for the camaraderie, fellowship and acceptance. I also feel that my control force is inside rather that outside, and I am looking at SMART recovery. You might want to look into that too.

Congratulations on your progress, Zappa. You have every right to feel proud of yourself. Restoration of self esteem and respect is almost euphoric for me now. You are most welcome here, and I look forward to hearing from you on a regular basis.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Zappa,

I attend AA meetings, but more for the camaraderie, fellowship and acceptance. I also feel that my control force is inside rather that outside, and I am looking at SMART recovery. You might want to look into that too.
Thank you for comforting words freshstart. I am curious about SMART recovery- what is it?
Good luck on your return to work. I´ll send warm vibes in your direction
Old 09-02-2011, 12:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hello Zappa and welcome!!
Old 09-02-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!